AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering if it matters which way I set up my new speakers in terms of component order and if that affects the crossover. I'll explain;

1) sound card -> S8 -> A5

2)sound card -> A5 -> S8

-> depicts RCA cables to respective line in/out.

If I set the speakers up in config 2 will I loose the effect of the crossover from the subwoofer? Or does it not matter?

Kind regards,

Angus.

·
Registered
15,016 Posts
Exactly what manufacturer and models of speakers do you have?

Often a set of speakers like what you seem to be describing do have a hardware crossover built into the subwoofer. If that's the case, the cables should go to speaker inputs on the subwoofer, with the subwoofer's outputs going to the other speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't actually bought the speakers yet but I'm looking at either audioengine a5's or aktimate minis with the velodyne Impact 10 sub. The sub only has RCA line in so I would have to wire it like case 2 above.

From what I can gather, doing that will bypass the subs crossover and the speakers will play at full range regardless of the crossover on the sub.

If I get a velodyne eq max 10 however, with line in and out, I can wire like case 1 and that will use the subs crossover.

I'm pretty sure that's how it will work. I'm just trying to confirm that.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1416456/wiring-options-for-speakers-and-sub-will-xover-be-affected#post_22147554

Exactly what manufacturer and models of speakers do you have?

Often a set of speakers like what you seem to be describing do have a hardware crossover built into the subwoofer. If that's the case, the cables should go to speaker inputs on the subwoofer, with the subwoofer's outputs going to the other speakers.

More often, the subwoofer only has a low pass filter and will not affect the signal that goes to the main speakers; it won't matter which way you wire it in this instance (option 1 & 2 will be the same). Be sure to look for some kind of high pass filtering in the sub output if that is a feature you want. For instance, doesn't look that the Velodyne you mentioned has that feature.

Also, there are Internet direct vendors that typically have much better price/performance values than Velodyne, such as the HSU VTF-1 MK4 . I'd recommend seeking a recommendation in the AVS subwoofer forum before buying. Let them know your setup, room size, and your listening habits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts