AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a Satellite receiver on my bedroom TV, out of that receiver I have a second output line that runs across the house to the family room big screen. Is there a way to input that satellite feed into the family room DST-3000 so we can watch HD feeds in the family room. I would think the DST-3000 would treat that incoming signal as a digital signal,(like a OTA signal) but I have not been successful. I know I could activate the DST-3000 in the family room with DTV but we already have DTV and full analog cable service running into the house,and the boss says no more, Besides I prefer the cable signal to the DTV signal. The DTV is to soft compared to my cable. I am also wondering how people with tivo with a integrated DTV receiver run their tivo into the DST-3000 without having to activate two receivers that may be siting right next to each other. Any ideas?? Thanks

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
OK wow! :eek:

I'm not sure if I understand your situation but it sounds to me that you want to have the dtv signal sent into your receiver in the bedroom and then out to your DST-3000 in the family room. This is not possible if the signal is from the out to tv plug. But if this is coming from an eliptical dish, this will work. I assume for now you use your DST-3000 for OTA. The DST-3000 to be activated is just a $4.99 charge a month.

I need more info if this is not answer to your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am essentially running out my bedroom DTVreceivers output-out to tv- into my Tosh DST3000 antenna in then out of the dst3000 with components to my TV, I can get all of the channels out of the dst3000 if I set the dst3000 on channel 3, except the high def channels, all I get is a black screen with the channel 199 menu. Are you saying I need to convert the ingoing signal to the dst3000 to a digital signal? I guess what I am doing is the same as someone that has a non DTV sat system trying to put their signal into the dst3000. How do they do it? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'd say that the reason that thats not working Mike is simply because if you're wanting to input the HD channels off of an non HD receiver into the 3000 as you're doing with the SD channels, the non HD receivers arent capable of even recognizing in their guide (let alone displaying of course) the HD channels to begin with.

So without actually activating the 3000 you'll have no way of seeing the DirecTv HD channels on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DP1 thanks for the response, my regular sat receiver is a directtv-plus and it does recognize channel 199 and 509 in the guide and also plays some of the spanish channels in the 400 channel range.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You must use the component outputs of the Toshiba 3000 connected to a hd tv to get a HD picture.

You can split the single set of component outputs on the Toshba by using 3 of the 4 (two packages) of Monster audio RCA splitters. Use some green, blue and red tape to color code these for your cabales. These are a single male to 2 females. They are available at Audio Advisor for $20 per pair (you need two pairs).

I am using the single Toshiba 3000 with these splitters to send a hd signal through a 35' component cable to my front projector in one room and to send another hd signal through a 55' component cable to a Sony 57HW40 in another room.

I am using custom Markertek.com component cables made from Canere cables with a 300mhz bandwidth (3x the regular hd component cable they sell.) You must call them for this cable as it is not in their catalong nor on their web site.

I use rf remote extenders on the remote to be able to control the Toshiba from the second room.

The HdNet picture in both rooms is excellent without any visible dignal degradation.

Shelly

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Loew
I am also wondering how people with tivo with a integrated DTV receiver run their tivo into the DST-3000 without having to activate two receivers that may be siting right next to each other. Any ideas?? Thanks
You can't run a satellite feed from one DirecTV receiver into another DirecTV receiver. Each receiver must have one lead directly from either a dual LNB 18" dish or from one of the multiswitch outputs from a 24" elliptical dish.

I have a DirecTiVo and an HD receiver in my family room. The DirecTiVo gets two leads from my 4x4 multiswitch, the HD receiver gets another for a total of three satellite leads into the family room.

In the master bedroom I have another DirecTiVo, but I don't have dual tuners enabled. This DirecTiVo gets the remaining satellite output from the 4x4 multiswitch.

Sending a video signal from a DirecTV receiver to another TV is entirely different than having two DirecTV receivers and trying to daisy chain them. The latter just can't be done.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well thats what I thought too Tom but since he said he was running into the *antenna* input on the 3000 as opposed to the satellite in, maybe it's working as some sort of pass through, not unlike how you could hook up cable tv to that input. I dont know, but I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt there. But regardless even if that somehow works for the SD channels, again, the 3000 cant decode the HD channels that way obviously.

I still dont understand why the original poster doesnt just activate the 3000 as a simple slave receiver for just 5 dollars a month. And that would include HDNet anyway along with whatever else they have on the current Dtv subscription on the 1st receiver.

I wonder if he's even using the 3000 for any OTA H/DTV signals. Apparently, otherwise why drop all the extra cash for that unit to begin with, especially if you're not willing to pay any fees to have access to HD channels from Dtv on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, I guess that I forgot to mention that. If you have more than one DirecTV receiver, you have to activate each additional receiver as a secondary receiver for an additional $5.00/month per receiver.

Since an HD DirecTV receiver can receive all of the channels that a regular DirecTV receiver can receive, there's no real need to have both. Ditch the regular DirecTV receiver or hook it up to another TV in another room for another $5/month.

Of course if the additional receiver is a DirecTiVo receiver, then it's perfectly reasonable to have both in the same room, as that's what I'm doing. I use my HD receiver for both satellite and OTA and I have DirecTV local channels. This let's me record any program that I can't watch live in HD, except for something on HDNet. Since I have two DirecTiVos in addition to my primary HD DirecTV receiver, I pay an additional $10/month for the two DirecTiVos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your answers. ;) I was just asking if there was a way. This hobby is additive and you never seem to be happy with what you have, (is there a better way, and does this give me a reason to pull these wires and try this and learn something new, syndrome). I do use my DST-3000 for OTA but only get 1 station here hence the ?. I guess I will just pay DTV another $5.00 a month, besides the $100.00 average + $50.00 cable and be done with it. I still can not figure out what people with non DTV, but say dish service do, how do they get a HD signal into either a dst3000 or another HD receiver to receive HD. Thanks for your help. Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike -

I think there is some confusion in this thread. Let me see if I got this straight: you have a std D+ receiver in the bedroom connected to the oval dish, and you have an unsubscribed DST3000 in the FR strictly for OTA HD. To see sat channels in the FR you are running the RF-out from the BR receiver to the antenna-in on the DST3000, and living with the degraded PQ and mono sound.

You want to get HDNet and maybe HBO-HD in the FR, but you do *not* want to subscribe the DST3000 at a cost of $5/mo to do so.

If I got all that right (and assuming the oval dish is a bit of a leap), then I think there is a way to do it if your BR receiver is not under some kind of commitment. Just reverse the roles of the receivers. Hook the sat to the DST3000 and activate it in place of rather than in addition to the BR receiver. Run the RF output of the DST3000 to the antenna-in on your BR TV, and put the BR receiver in the closet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.