AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current situation : From the dish to the inside there are 2 RG6 feeds ran to a closet where I can distribute to my various rooms. My dish is a 24" eliptical with the multiswitch on the back and currently those 2 RG6 feeds from the outside are ran inside with the SATA + SATB signal in each and then in my closet i just have those hooked straight into the RG6 feed for the living room, and then the other RG6 feed for the master bedroom, and then from that closet I have 4 other RG6 feeds i can use down the road for various room locations all pre-wired.

What I want to do ...

Hook up my new DST3000 in my living room, leave the current rcvr in the master bedroom, and move the now extra 3rd rcvr that the DST3000 is replacing into the guestroom. Additionally, I want to get an OTA antenna that will go to at least teh DST3000 in the living room.

1) Since there are only 2 RG6 feeds coming in from outside currently, I need an additional multiswitch in the closet where those 2 feeds end up, correct?

2) Can I run an RG6 feed into the multi-switch that is currently outside from an OTA antenna and then have the OTA + SATA + SATB running through each of those RG6 feeds from outside?

3) If yes to #2, do I need to use a diplexor anywhere?

Any help is great, and if something here needs clarified let me know.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
1) Since there are only 2 RG6 feeds coming in from outside currently, I need an additional multiswitch in the closet where those 2 feeds end up, correct?
Not correct. You need to run another line from your existing multiswitch into your closet and connect it to the coax going to the guest room.

Quote:
Can I run an RG6 feed into the multi-switch that is currently outside from an OTA antenna and then have the OTA + SATA + SATB running through each of those RG6 feeds from outside?
Not if it is like the multi-switches I have seen. You need one that has a built in diplexor. Parts Express sells the Trunkline model with that feature.

Quote:
If yes to #2, do I need to use a diplexor anywhere?
If you get the correct switch, you will still need a diplexor for each TV that will have an OTA feed into it. The diplexor will split out the OTA from the sat signal.

-Robert

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Not correct. You need to run another line from your existing multiswitch into your closet and connect it to the coax going to the guest room. "

Well, unfortunately that is not an option. Why can't I just multiswitch from the 2 feeds I already have in the closet?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It's not impossible since there is already two runs of coax. It the wiring closet on the first floor of a two story house? Where is the guest room? Post some details because a lot of people here have been in the same situation.

-Robert

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wiring closet is on the 2nd floor.

Current wiring situation is like this..

Current 2 RG6 cables are ran on the side of the house (rear) about 6" below where the 2nd floor starts.

I'd say about 30ft towrads the middle (along the rear), and 6ft towards the front of the house is where the closet is on the 2nd floor, where my distribution area is....ideally this is where I would like the additional wires ran. That way I could add more rcvrs easily down the road since there are pre-wired RG6 jacks in every room, and those runs all end up in that closet.

I've gone outside and checked the 2 wires that are out there and there isn't much slack (if any) when I pulled on those wires which makes me think adding 2 others may be a chore.

Anyone done something similar, and if so how much did it cost to get 2 more wires ran?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
What you SHOULD have done was had your installer put the multiswitch down in your wiring closet, and pulled 4 RG6 cables from the 18x24" dish down to the wiring closet. Then hookups would be easy.

The reason you can't just put another multiswitch from your current 2 cables - EACH receiver needs it's own connection to the multiswitch, and since you have the 22KHz switch up there, each IRD needs to be connected up there. Each receiver can put a 22KHz tone independently.

When you decide to do it the correct way, have the installer pull an additional RG6 cable for an OTA antenna (so you need 3 additional runs, not just 2). Then obtain one of those 5x4 / 5x8 multiswitches (preferably powered) and additional diplexors for each TV that needs both satellite and OTA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"What you SHOULD have done was had your installer put the multiswitch down in your wiring closet, and pulled 4 RG6 cables from the 18x24" dish down to the wiring closet. Then hookups would be easy. "

While of course that would have been the optimal outcome, this is a brand new house I moved into and I had them pre-wire for sattelite before I moved in. I had no say in how many wires they ran since this was in a track development, and there defintion of pre-wire was 2RG6 feeds. Also, at the time the 2 RG6 feeds was going to be fine because my old setup was a single 18" dish.

Now hindsight being 20/20 and knowing all this now I obviously would have done it differently, but that is neither here nor there, and I am unfortunately saddled with the current situation.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Originally posted by DmgInc

While of course that would have been the optimal outcome, this is a brand new house I moved into and I had them pre-wire for sattelite before I moved in. I had no say in how many wires they ran since this was in a track development, and there defintion of pre-wire was 2RG6 feeds. Also, at the time the 2 RG6 feeds was going to be fine because my old setup was a single 18" dish.

Now hindsight being 20/20 and knowing all this now I obviously would have done it differently, but that is neither here nor there, and I am unfortunately saddled with the current situation. [/b]/QUOTE]

Such horse-hockey [email protected]!

"Pre-Wired for satellite" means what you tell them it means ! Although, at the time, 2 RG6 from the dish did make sense. Still, when you got your oval dish, you should have had that installer pull the extras and put the switch in the wiring closet - even if it would have added cost to the installation.

As I see it, you can either continue to live with just 2 IRD's, or you can pull a single cable up to the dish (for your 3rd room), or pull 2 cables down and move your switch to the closet (then you could move things to your heart's content without having to call an installer again). I personally would choose the last, and get it over with. And since you want the HDTV OTA reception, go ahead and have that run while I was at it. I know - it sucks, but that is the BEST way to do it.

There is another option depending on your's and the Wife acceptance - simply install a 2nd dish for the 3rd room. But I think it would be easier to pull the cables down to your wiring closet (I wish everybody would be that forward thinking).

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I've gone outside and checked the 2 wires that are out there and there isn't much slack (if any) when I pulled on those wires which makes me think adding 2 others may be a chore.
They probably stapled the coax to the studs. That rules out using the existing coax to pull a string through.

You didn't mention where your dish is installed. If it is a roof mount or an eve mount, then you can run two coaxes through the attic and down the wall into the closet. Actually, you could do that no matter where the dish is mounted. The runs may be longer but with quality cable that shouldn't matter.

-Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.