AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before as a requested feature, but I think it would be cool if My Shows had a Wish List, so that you don't have to constantly search the guide for that movie you're waiting to show up on cable, but you know will within the next month or so. That way you won't have to keep a list if stuff you want to see and do a search for it manually every once in a while - it would all be right there dynamically!

Maybe once a day, it can poll the schedule and let you know via a New Message that a certain show on your wish list (or a show containing the words in your search) has appeared on the guide, and ask you if you'd like to add it to My Shows. Does TiVo have this?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Dylan,

I'll probably get flamed here (but Gremlin basically mentioned this too), but based on your recent posts, you'd be much happier with a DirecTivo... unless you can't live without PIP and the WebTV features of UTV.

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DylanRare:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before as a requested feature, but I think it would be cool if My Shows had a Wish List, so that you don't have to constantly search the guide for that movie you're waiting to show up on cable, but you know will within the next month or so. That way you won't have to keep a list if stuff you want to see and do a search for it manually every once in a while - it would all be right there dynamically!

Maybe once a day, it can poll the schedule and let you know via a New Message that a certain show on your wish list (or a show containing the words in your search) has appeared on the guide, and ask you if you'd like to add it to My Shows. Does TiVo have this?
I forgot to answer your question directly. Yes, in fact the feature is called Wishlists, surprisingly! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

You can create wishlists based on keywords, an exact or partial title, actor, director, and category. You decide if the wishlist should "auto-record" or not. You can even prioritize how important each wishlist is compared to your season passes and other auto-record wishlists.

BTW, all new DirecTivo customers seem to be getting the software update right away to enable the second tuner. (Which is ticking off some people who haven't gotten it yet! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

s>

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not exactly as you described but perhaps something adequate. Searches for text, whether actors, directors, show titles, or keywords, can be saved and can (but don't have to) automatically record shows they match. Oddly enough this feature is called "wishlists". Tivo has no reminder type feature but you can get a list of everything that matches all your current wishlists. Doing that once a week, which is what I do, usually suffices.

Replay has a similar feature, "themes" thought it's usefulness is substantially reduced by Replays weak scheduling system and it doesn't have the view-everything-upcoming option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:
Dylan,

I'll probably get flamed here (but Gremlin basically mentioned this too), but based on your recent posts, you'd be much happier with a DirecTivo... unless you can't live without PIP and the WebTV features of UTV.

D'oh! too late.. the decision has already been made. I had a nightmare of a time (customer service-wise) getting this unit so I think I'm going to just stick with my Sony UTV. PIP isn't a big deal to me, but the dual tuner thing is, and now that DirecTiVo has it, I might have made the wrong decision. But still, I'd expect Microsoft to play catch-up with the other players.. otherwise how will UTV succeed?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DylanRare:

D'oh! too late.. the decision has already been made. I had a nightmare of a time (customer service-wise) getting this unit so I think I'm going to just stick with my Sony UTV. PIP isn't a big deal to me, but the dual tuner thing is, and now that DirecTiVo has it, I might have made the wrong decision. But still, I'd expect Microsoft to play catch-up with the other players.. otherwise how will UTV succeed?
Microsoft may very well add in comparable features. It *appears* that they sort of rushed it out as soon as they got dual tuners working.

If returning (or selling on eBay) your UTV is too big of a hassle for you, I understand... but most people buying DirecTivos (and UTV's) don't have big hassles. Last time I checked, http://www.orbitsat.com had the Hughes DirecTivo's for $99 for new customers, and $150 for existing DirecTV customers. So as long as you recouped at least that amount from your UTV, you wouldn't be out much (if any) out-of-pocket expenses.

------------------

Brett

s>

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
BTW, all new DirecTivo customers seem to be getting the software update right away to enable the second tuner. (Which is ticking off some people who haven't gotten it yet! )
I already owned an UTV and a standalone TiVo. I just bought a DirecTivo today and it immediately got the 2.5 update and both tuners are now working.

The wishlish is a great feature. UTV should have something similar soon I'd bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.