AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm looking to upgrade my current sound system. I have a 5.1 set up, consists of 4 JBL Venue Monitor bookshelf speakers, 1 JBL Venue VOICE series center channel and a Bic H-100 sub with a Yamaha RX-V363BL receiver. It does it's job at the moment, I guess.

I wanted to see how I should go about upgrading everything. I want to do it all little by little. So what would you guys suggest I change first and to what. I'm not looking to spend crazy amount of money, but since I am buying everything separate. I would say I don't want to spend more than $300 per each time I upgrade something. (ie. no more than $300 for the fronts, no more than $300 for the center, if I get it all separate and are willing to go a bit higher)

Thank you!

Edit: This is what the room looks like BTW. It's about 20x15 I believe.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look good! I guess I would use those for the front... now what about my center channel, will they be matched with these as the fronts?

I would not mind going upwards of $200 per speaker and paying around $400 for just the fronts, either. Any other suggestions on speakers?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really like the infiniti's! How often does that price come down to the $129 you mentioned? I'll definitely buy those! What about my surrounds? Should I replace them eventually or will my current JBL monitors be fine?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko /forum/post/15583699

Really like the infiniti's! How often does that price come down to the $129 you mentioned? I'll definitely buy those! What about my surrounds? Should I replace them eventually or will my current JBL monitors be fine?

Fry's has them on/off sale a few times a month it seems. Best bet is to watch their website for the price drops.

Try your JBLs in surround duty. You may like them there. Most of the sound in 5.1/7.1 comes from the front 3 anyway, and some 70% or so from the center, which is why I pointed you to the P350 and not the P250 for center duty.

If you are still looking for surrounds later, take a look at Emotiva's ERD-1 surrounds. There are some who have very expensive front threes, and swear by the ERD-1s. They are on sale right now with free shipping.

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are thoughts on Bic Acoustech speakers? I was just looking at their website and their speakers LOOK great and they are pretty cheap.

Also, I saw that the PC350 is pretty darn heavy! If you look at my pics, I have my center on the TV. What can I do as far as placement for the center? I don't know if I'd like putting something the size of the PC350 on top of the TV.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think your center is the biggest weak point at the moment. If you stick with JBL I would try to find a used EC35 center channel. There is a new model P35 but I haven't seen one before in person.

You could also try to grab a S Center or S Center II (which are also true three ways). Generally speaking I recommend staying away from the consumer line 2-way wtw JBL centers.

Those Balboa's linked are a steal at that price and paired up with a new center channel would be a nice incremental upgrade. Plus you'd have 4 matched surrounds for 7.1 someday.

I think that would be a pretty well balanced setup unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel stereo music. Then it might be worth going to better fronts - a JBL model lke the studio series that uses a pure titanium 1" tweeter would be the next step up.

Also just my .02 but try putting the center channel on the TV stand in front of the TV or angling it down. And definitely get taller stands for your rear surrounds. They look to be at ear level...

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/15583944

I think your center is the biggest weak point at the moment. If you stick with JBL I would try to find a used EC35 center channel. There is a new model P35 but I haven't seen one before in person.

You could also try to grab a S Center or S Center II (which are also true three ways). Generally speaking I recommend staying away from the consumer line 2-way wtw JBL centers.

+1 on the S Center, I have the ll model, supposedly a bit better than the original. The S Center is a very good speaker. I've been using it for 5 years and it never fails to deliver crisp clean dialog at any volume. It never gets shrill or dark sounding as many do. It is a true 3 way design. They turn up on ebay on a regular basis. They can handle quite a bit of power, to 150 watts but at 91db efficiency they don't need lots of power.

A friend of mine went looking for a center channel speaker for his mother. Unknown to him, she had already picked one up on her own while he was bidding on two S Centers on ebay.

He won both.

Not knowing what to do with them, he decided to use them in his motor home stereo. They sound great and fit like a glove in the compartments above the driver/passenger area. He added a small sub for some low kick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts