AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Sony DE-885 back in May and am now into the DD 5.1 era. Before I had a Sony with "Dolby Surround" and I must say it sounded better for music. My problem is that I have these nice tower speakers with 12" subs in them - but now my 5.1 system requires a subwoofer to get any low bass. My new receiver has several sound fields, but Normal Surround and Stereo Movie are what I switch back and forth between the most.

I can't seem to configure the receiver to omit the subwoofer and put full range audio into my two fronts for playing music.

With Subwoofer set to No, and Front Speakers set to Large, I still get no bass. It seems there is a frequency cut-off built-in to the receiver for all settings, even if I use the 5.1 multi-in. Basically with these nice Sony tower speakers I could care less about owning a subwoofer, and to me the stereo field isn't the same as my old receiver (which thru wear and tear got a few shorts in it...)

Is this requirement of a subwoofer standard in the 5.1 receivers?

Can someone point me in the direction of some models which could do what I want, and have a straight full-range two speaker stereo mode? I'm unimpressed with Dolby ProLogic II in music so far. Using the 5.1 multi-in from my SB Audigy actually gives me preferable stereo to 5.1 expansion.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
While all AV receivers will have some provision for bass management (and should), I think most will allow at least the front speakers to be set for large w/o a sub. I have the H/K AVR520 and it allows you to set different speaker parameters for different inputs. For example, on the DVD input I have all speakers set to small and crossed over to the sub at 80 Hz. But for CD I have the LR speakers set to large and NONE for sub, which I think is what you want.

Dsmith

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dsmith, does the HK let you store different channel level settings for each input as well? Also, how would you rate the HK solely as a preamp with regard to its multi-channel input (i.e., the ones used for SACD or DVD-Audio player)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Audioclyde
Dsmith, does the HK let you store different channel level settings for each input as well? Also, how would you rate the HK solely as a preamp with regard to its multi-channel input (i.e., the ones used for SACD or DVD-Audio player)?

Thanks!
Yes, all the main speaker settings can be adjusted separately for each input, which takes a while to set it up if you use a lot of inputs. You can also set the surround format for each input separately of course, as well as the video input if you use them.

I suggest you go to harmanaudio.com and download the manual to read about what your speaker setup options are. Also, at that site under "specials/receivers" you can get get AVR520 for $548. Sometimes you can get H/K receivers even cheaper at Ubid or Ebay, and they still carry the full 2 year warranty. However, at Ebay I recommend you bid only on the units sold direct from H/K, which is what you get at Ubid. I paid $459 at Ubid for mine. These are refurbished (Z) units (mine is also) but I have used several H/K refurbs and they look and perform as new. Keep in mind that H/K amps are rated very conservatively and will generally outperform higher rated receivers.

As a preamp I think the AVR520 is excellent (for a receiver) - it has all the preouts you need and very good sound quality. It does not have a 12 volt trigger output to turn on a separate amp, however you can use its switched outlet with a compatible Radio Shack wall wart to trigger the amp if you want. Do not plug the amp itself into the switched outlet - it can't handle the higher current.

Dsmith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.