AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd kick things off, no dedicated Xbox One tread found (unless I missed it):

Release date: May 19th

Today it was communicated via Twitter :rolleyes: that DX12 would not help this game much in time for launch and in terms of resolution, no cross platform play, etc.

However, to overstate the obvious, none of that is ready for prime time just yet at the console level. It was only a week ago when that still seemed possible according to some reports, and for this game in particular. At least we won't be blindsided at the last minute.

On a more positive note, this is definitely a good sign of things to come since important stuff like this is being factored into the next gaming experience already and for games that have already been in development for many years, and with at least one trusted developer who gives a flying ****.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If interested in this game... you can get the steelcase edition on a pre order at BestBuy for only $48 right now. Worst case, cancel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread tampabuc.

I've never played any of the Witcher games, but this one has my curiosity up. Not sure what other games it compares too, just don't want it to turn out to be a hack and slash your way thru to the end.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Should be a good one. The developer recently noted that there is 200 hours worth of built in content imminent, with long term free DLC as well, and I believe them. Should be comparable to but possibly better than Dragon Age Inquisition which achieved many GOTY honors.

Plus, many delays = good (right? :D)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, that footage is looking pretty sweet. I think I'm gonna have to visit BB tomorrow.

·
Registered
814 Posts
This is a Day One purchase for me. Looks incredible!

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
it's cheaper digital than retail...

http://www.windowscentral.com/witch...cheaper-unlocks-early-and-available-pre-order

When the pre-order page in the Xbox Store went up last night, people began to realize that the game was being offered at $53.99 instead of the usual $59.99. Upon further investigating, it seems it is not a pricing error, and instead CD Projekt Red is giving digital buyers a nice 10% discount. But that's not it.

If you buy the game digitally, not only will you get it at a discount but you will also be able to enjoy the game hours before your friends that are camping out at their local GameStop waiting for May 19, 12:01am. For us United States peeps, the digital game will unlock at 7pm EST/4pm PST.

Looks like the Game + Expansion Pass Bundle is receiving that same 10% discount. The expansion pass will include both expansion packs for the game that will add 30+ hours of gameplay to the existing game. Both packs are launching later this year. The Game + Expansion Pass bundle will normally set you back $84.99, but thanks to that 10% digital discount you can grab it from the store for $76.49.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks. That is a good deal, especially with the expansion pass savings considered.

Is this the 1st ever digital "Day 1" sale on a new high profile release game in the history of gaming? Not sure but this DEV obviously gets it. Progress is awesome.

As the anti-digital only distribution voice of reason (retail competition is good!), I would just say that you can still get a horribly outdated physical copy of the game and a steelbook edition no less, plus any other games incoming for the next 2 years, for effectively $38 with BestBuy GCU ($30 for a 2 year investment). Just saying... :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I do recall quite a few PS4 digital titles that could be had for $53.99 if you pre-ordered through PSN, so this isn't the first time.

I'll be picking up the physical copy myself just in case I don't like it, plus like you said, I'm essentially getting it for $38 at BB.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I do recall quite a few PS4 digital titles that could be had for $53.99 if you pre-ordered through PSN, so this isn't the first time.

I'll be picking up the physical copy myself just in case I don't like it, plus like you said, I'm essentially getting it for $38 at BB.
Same here, I'll be using the Gamers Club discounts on this one. Plus I just prefer physical copies of games, like looking at them on the bookshelf. Plus, the resell-ability.

And I do like that developers and publishers are starting to give discounts for digital games vs physical copies. They should have done this to begin with, since we aren't paying for materials, shipping, labor, etc. Hopefully this trend continues and the discounts become even better.

Cannot wait for this game!

Reactions: tampabuc

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Preview

No, there's no loading times. Only when you actually start the game, when die and load the game, or when you fast travel. That fast travel loading time depends on how far you have to travel of course. If you just fast travel a little bit, it's a really short loading time.

One of the goals we had was to keep the experience as fluid as possible. When you play, you don't want to have the loading screen because it takes you out of the game a bit. We wanted to make sure that it was as smooth as possible, one big experience. For us, that was really important. I think we achieved that because, as you said, just going in and out of a building, there's no loading time. Nothing. It's just creates this really nice experience.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-is-an-open-world-with-no-loading-tim/1100-6426896/

1 - 20 of 94 Posts