AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At best buy.com i noticed that i can get a 57inch rear projection tv for the same price as a direct view sony 34 inch HS510

How much better is the quality ? This big of size difference would probably leave me with a tv that is too big for my room, but im just curious.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump? no one has a comment? Is direct view tube, THAT much better(i think it is but i am not sure if this is opinion or if there is a technical spec that proves this)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Different kinds of rear projection sets have different kinds of issues that keep direct-view fans away from them.

With CRT-RP, the little CRTs inside have to run at such high brightness and contrast that burn-in, pretty much eliminated now in direct-view CRTs, is a problem in CRT-RPs. Also, there are almost always convergence problems trying to get the three inner tubes' red, blue, and green images to align right on the big screen.

LCD-RP sets can have trouble making dark shades dark enough and distinct enough from each other. DLP-RP sets can have this problem and also something called a "rainbow effect" that irritates some people. And both kinds require a light source that occasionally burns out and needs a costly replacement, so much of the real cost of them is hidden.

Also, all types are prone the same "projection look", where the image coming through the big screen loses visibility when you're not right in front of it, and looks like it's shining through a screen door or a lot of smoke.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For me, all those newer more expensive technologies just aren't ready for primetime yet (and call me a Sony whore but their WEGA Plasma and LCD screens look pretty awesome nonetheless). The XBR910 seemed like the beast I'd enjoy looking at for a few years until something irresistably better comes along. And if you want 4:3 I saw that 40-inch Monitor at CC the other day and wow that's big! In fact I got too close to it at one point and nearly got sucked in by it's gravitational pull :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was a confirmed direct view believer. I currently have a Sony 32HS500 (that I love) and I was considering buying a 40" sony. When I bought my Sony last year, I didn't even look at RP TV's.

However, I just recently helped my parents buy a new 57" Hitachi 500S. Wow! What a great TV. The picture is bright and sharp and way better than I thought a RP set could be. Plus 57" gives you that "I'm at the theatre" feeling that a smaller set just can't give you.

I'm now saving up for my own Hitachi. I realized that a large part of the home theatre experience is having a big screen.

I would encourage you to check out the Hitachi S series RP displays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi

i've got the 40xbr800. huge standard 4:3 view and the 16:9 view is nearly as large as many 42" rp's. i just bought the sat520 hd receiver and can't wait to hook it up to see how hd looks on the 40". any body out there got hd on the 40xbr800?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.