AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been mostly looking at DLP's but I'm thinkin that maybe I could get myself a rather nice CRT for around 20k without having to deal with not deep enough blacks and other problems with DLP's, etc.. Im just curious what you think the best CRT around 20k would be?

Also, is it possible to get a CRT around 20k that can display full 1080i and 1080p? Or would that require one that is around 50k? Im not very knowledgeable on CRT's so please forgive me newbie post..

Chris

Note: Ive looked at the specs of the Seleco SVD 800, and Vidikron Visions.. Not sure about the frequency's and how to tell if they are good enough.. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other bit of information that I always forget that might be helpful with suggestions is, My room is 14' long, with the seating being 12ft or so from the screen.. The projector would have to be floor mounted so it might only be like 10 ft away..

Chris

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'd buy a b-stock G-90 from SONY for $18,500. Pay William Phelps or Roger Galvin to calibrate it. All said and done, there's your $20K.

Ted

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
$20K will get you a B-stock G90 (fairly rare these days) as noted or a retubed 9500LC from Tim Martin, I think. Both great projectors. But that's a pretty short throw distance. For example, if your floor mount projector sits about 1' in front of your seating (putting the back of the projector at 11' from the screen), a G90's front will be about 90" from the screen (length is 42"). Going with the preferred "aggressive" use of the raster, you could support about a 74" wide screen, which puts your seating at 2x screen widths, which is fine. So, it can be done, but the G90 really (as does any great CRT) wants to be ceiling mounted! :)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
They're not rare... SONY stocks them.

Ted

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured my distance might be a problem.. Id love ceiling mount one of these things but I dont think my Ceiling owuld hold.. Would a G90 work good without a scaler? or would it require some sort of scaler? Also is it capable of full HDTV 1080i/p? Id love to find a way to get a 92" screen and a CRT... But my projector buying days are a ways off for now.. Probably summer I will be purchasing.. Im doing as much research now as I can on all types of technology.. ..

Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think the first thing I'd do is get a job...then you'll be able to save the 20k for that projector ;)

Until that day comes (and from your post in the digital forum it's a ways off) I'd pick up a good 8" CRT...it'll do 95% of what a 9" can do.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Chris,

Any of the high end 9" CRT can do 1080P (G-90, Barco 1209, E'Home 9500LC).

None of them have built in scalers although some do offer line doubler and scaler options. I'd doubt you would want to go that route. Therefore an external scaler or HTPC will be the way to 1080P.

For $20K, Tim's 9500LC, a HTPC for DVD playback, a Stewart Screen, and setup. That should leave you with just enough from the $20K for beer and pizza while watching the first movie.

Terry

·
Banned
13 Posts
Save yourself a lot of money and buy an NEC XG series 8" projector. You won't be missing out on a whole lot.

I think they're going for about $3,500 now.

I didn't even spend $20k on my entire room :>

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Doug,

While the XG series is arguably one of the best 8"ers out there and I'm sure it looks good in your theatre, a 9" projector does a lot to HD at 1080i that an 8"er can't handle. And only a 9"er will do 1080P.

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The Dwin is a great unit--but just for the sake of full disclosure (Chris may not know), it's been discontinued and Dwin is pulling out of the CRT market. Not a deal killer, but just food for thought--this is making for some amazing deals on 700s.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
XG will easily do 1080i, right now mine is doing [email protected] and it looks outstanding.

A newer 9"er is going to give you that last little bit of resolution that no 8"er can, but it's like spending money on highend audio gear...up to a point, the more you spend, the smaller the improvements.

You must decide if spending 4 time the amount for that extra 5% is worth it to you.

If so, then there's ownly a couple options, those options would be based on the G90 or 9500LC.

If not the NEC XG or the E'home 8500 is the way to go as far as the best 8"er's in overall performance. The Barco's are just as sharp, but their colors do push a little to the orange/yellow direction...not bad, but it is noticable.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
Doug,

While the XG series is arguably one of the best 8"ers out there and I'm sure it looks good in your theatre, a 9" projector does a lot to HD at 1080i that an 8"er can't handle. And only a 9"er will do 1080P.

Terry
I have to disagree with Terry and agree with KennyG on this one. A G90 or my former Vision One (EH chassis) 9 incher is a very, very nice thing to have, but the marginal improvement in performance (over an NEC XG) is completely outweighed by the exponential increase in cost, not mention the huge size and weight of every single 9 inch CRT unit. Unless you've got the perfect room and (and you don't), and money to burn, an 8 inch NEC XG will give you all you could ever want (even on HD) for one-fifth to one-tenth the ultimate cost of doing a 9 incher right.

OTOH, if you're consumed with this hobby and have the wherewithal...

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Well guys, guess I have been outvoted on this. But let me say that where a 9"er really shines is in ability to produce outstanding pictures at 1920 x 1080I or 1920 x 1080P. I have run a G-70 for quite a while and did see a pretty good improvement when I set up a 1209 in my theatre for one of my customers. The 8" gun just doesn't have the ability (or sq inches) to handle the 1920 part of HD like a 9"er will.

Don't get me wrong, HD on a Sony or NEC looks fantastic. But on a good quality 9"er, it looks that much better. There is more "punch" to the picture. Is that worth going from $5-$6K for an 8"LC projectors to $8 - $whateverK for a 9"er. Guess that's an individual thing and budget dependent.

But IMO, there is a very noticable difference. And the 8"er just cannot truly handle 1080P at all except at low scan rates.

That said, I really like both the G-70 and 110/135LC and think that they are one of the best bang for the buck out there. Same for the BG808.

Terry

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Let me state my bias right up front: I own lots of Sony products including the flagship 34HD1 HDTV, SCD-1, 9000ES, SAT T60, HD100, and a Sony Viao computer that kills my $4K, ridiculously-overpriced Dell. But I've never loved the "look" of Sony front projectors until the G90 came along. So, if my choice were between a G70 and a G90, I'd take the G90 (or another 9 inch unit). But if it was between an NEC XG and one of those 9 inchers, I think that is a much closer call. And if it's between an XG and Sony 1292, I'd take the XG outright. But that's just my taste.

Anyway, having climbed out on a limb, let me now saw it off by saying, nothing -- not even a G90 or EH 9 incher -- significantly betters the colors and "look" of a well set up NEC XG, provided the screen is kept small (80 inches or less). The 8 inch XGs are enormous overachievers.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PF
A G90 or my former Vision One (EH chassis) 9 incher is a very, very nice thing to have, but the marginal improvement in performance (over an NEC XG) is completely outweighed by the exponential increase in cost, not mention the huge size and weight of every single 9 inch CRT unit.
Folks buy different projectors for different reasons. If you want sheer image quality, buy a new Vision One or G90 or Marquee 9500LC. If you want sheer image quality at an affordable price, buy a retubed Vision One or Marquee. If you only care about absence of fan noise, get a Dwin (and a seeing eye dog, because there won't be premium image quality). One can assume, and this depends somewhat on the brand, that models currently still in production (Barco, Marquee/VDC/Vidikron) will be better supported for parts and service than those models which are discontinued (Sony, so the rumor goes, Dwin, NEC) Beware of things at severe fire-sale prices; desirable products hold their value, poorly serviced products go for nickels. It is just my opinion from 27 years of dealing with projectors, I could be nuts! :D

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Tim, I have a Dwin but don't need a seeing eye dog. Heck, I've got Tim nearby in Scottsdale to help me "see" better. HA!:p :p :p

(Tim is right in that the uncolor filtered, untweaked Dwin CRT projector looks nowhere near as good as the 9" Electrohome CRTs that Tim refurbishes - but add the color filtered lens, a John Gannon setup, dark room, proper screen and screen size, and my tweaks - and the result is quite amazing. But Tim won't come over anymore because he doesn't want to see it. HA!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.