AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't finish this film. It was dull and lifeless, and although a lot of people have written glowing reviews of it, I can't understand why. Maybe it's the culture gap, as most of those who like this peculiar French film seem to have French-sounding names.

Ostensibly this is a black comedy, but after more than an hour without a laugh I gave up. I thought maybe the problem was the English version had been poorly dubbed, so I tried the subtitles for a while. Although the text is somewhat different from the dubbed dialog, the essence is much the same, the dubbing is not the problem.

Although I couldn't finish the film, I do know the end of the story from reading the reviews of others. If there had been anything of interest in the first hour and a few minutes, I'd have stuck it out.

Skip it, is my reccomendation.

Gary

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I saw the whole film and liked it a lot. On the surface, it is a study of characters and how those characters evolve in a situation. But it also shows how little we really know about people we think we know and maybe how gullible we can be. It's also scary and darkly funny. It reminded me of The Vanishing (the original version) in its pace. It's not an action movie or an action oriented mystery from Hollywood. The video transfer is excellent. I recommend it. Especially if you like European films.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Loved it! Was about the 6th DVD I've watched on my new 83" screen (Panny 701XU), and must say it looked great! Video was a little dark in a few scenes, plan on watching it tonight on a 32" TV to see if it's the scenes or my projector black level (or lack of). Overall I was entertained. If I was 40 years younger I think it would be one of those I'd watch 10 times a week (kind of like my wife watches When Harry met Sally).... That probably should have been the name to this one - When Harry Met Hermione... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.