AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I see you just joined 4 hours ago. 3 hours ago you made this post, did you get a chance to do any research? Sometimes it's better to do some research first. Also too the title of your post is so long I can't even tell what it says. I have tried the RCA PREAMP1R dual input preamp and the LNA-200 both are just so-so.

If you really want a good preamp you're going to have to spend the money. I'm sure others have their opinions but the Kitz Technologies KT-200 is my favorite:

On top of that, it's American made by American people. Jeff Kitz is a good guy. He's very helpful.

The two links that you showed are Chinese crap. If it lasts longer than a year I would be amazed. Plus the specs are usually false.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Those cheaper preamps may offer decent to average performance. But the long term reliability is unclear. In a fringe application the Kitztech preamps offer a lower noise figure and probably a better design. The Kitz 501 model may be useful if you are in a strong signal area as it has adjustable gain; otherwise the Kitz 200 is very good as mentioned. Also Channel Master and Televes preamps may be good performers, although the noise figure is a bit higher. The Winegard LNA200 can be problematic for VHF, but their inline amp LNA100 performs well. But choosing a proper preamp depends upon local application, as you may have a mix of strong and weak signals. Or you could be in a fringe area. While you may luck out with a cheaper preamp, it may be advisable to spend a bit more for a reliable brand, of which Channel Master, Televes, or Kitztech could be considered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've installed those cheap chinese knockoff amps. They work marginally at best, but they often don't make things much better than a well aimed antenna. The RCA preamp TVPRAMP12E has served me well in locations that needed separate UHF/VHF antennas (we have VHF Low Channel 6 ABC in the Philadelphia market).
On paper (and likely in practice) the more expensive units are better. That being said, we never had a service call for issues with the amplifier failing (save one that died during a power surge event that blew out the power transformer brick).

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
One good thing about the Channel Master 7777HD Amplify is that it has both low gain and high gain settings. Also the CM-7778HD Pro grade has adjustable gain and dual input for both UHF and VHF. But both are a bit pricey. They also have 2 fixed gain versions a bit cheaper and the model numbers are similar so you will need to research whether you need low gain or high gain if you choose one of those models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts