AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to hook up my XBox and a DVD player to my LT150 via some sort of doubler/scaler and was looking for some help. It's my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that the iScan is considered a line doubler while the Quadscan is considered a scaler.

I currrently run my DVD player, digital cable, etc. via an S-Video connection into my iScan Plus v2. From there, an HD15 cable connects the iScan to my LT150. And I'm pretty happy with that setup....

So, I guess my question is will using a Quadscan Pro improve my picture quality over that of the iScan? E.g., Is a scaler better for the LT150 than a doubler (I think)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Why use S-video when you can get real 480p output with a $20 XBox HD pack? You can't use the cable supplied, but you must buy an additional cable that takes the three RCA component connectors and feeds into the VGA connector of the LT150. There are foreign XBox packs that output XGA, but I am not familar with how well they work. To me it makes no sense to use the S-video connector and de-interlacing and then possibly scale since you are starting with only 480i or half the available information. If you must use a scaler, at least feed the scaler the component 480p signal from the HD pack. But I think you may find the HD pack by itself acceptable. Now if you wish to watch cable TV on the projector, the iScan may be worth the investment. Something like a Panny RP-56 progressive DVD player should be acceptable for DVD playback.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue is really one of switching. As you know, the LT150 only has 1 HD15 input. Thus, either the scaler or the doubler occupies this spot. So, in order to use the XBox's HD pack (which I already own), I would need to buy a special adapter to convert the XBox's HD signal into VGA format and then pass that VGA signal on through the scaler (thanks Jason!). So, I was trying to save some money and some steps by going with S-Video.... But I'm still just evaluating my options.

All other things being equal, do you think the iScan Plus v2 or Quadscan Pro is a better fit for the LT150? Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Quadscan Pro as it scales to XGA and has interlaced component input whereas Iscan Plus v2 does neither (Iscan Pro has component input but does not scale). Of course HTPC is best for DVD playback :D on LT150 with RP56 or similar Faroudja-based progressive DVD player being a very close second.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Using a transcoder with the xbox HD component pack is a bad idea as you then lose all aspect ratio control on the projcector. As I understand it you can get 16:9 games for instance - and you don't want your geometry all messed up ;).

As for scalers - neither the quadscan nor the iscan will give you as good results as the HD component pack of the xbox because they're both operating from a lower original resolution than you'd get with the HD component pack.

Of the two the Quadscan is clearly the superior scaler, but you might want to check if it can pass through say a VGA signal unmodified (not sure if it can). The idea here is to simply get the LT150 component-VGA breakout cable and connect that from the xbox HD component box to the Quadscan - and then force the quadscan to simply pass through the signal as if it were VGA (even though it is component). No expensive transcoder needed in addition - just a cable, and better results.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huey: Thanks!

Frode:

Quote:
Of the two the Quadscan is clearly the superior scaler, but you might want to check if it can pass through say a VGA signal unmodified (not sure if it can).
Jason told me that :

"Well, the VGA passthrough on the Quadscan is just that, VGA. You owuld need a transcoder in order to pass the signal through properly. The component inputs will not accept a progressive signal, so you wouldn't be able to hook it up that way. You might want to switch the signal with an outboard switcher."

So, isn't the fact that the Quadscan passes through a signal unmodified the very reason I would need a transcoder? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
A passthrough is a passthrough. If it doesn't modify the signal in any way you should be able to pass through any signal whatsoever as long as the physical connection is correct. You could theoretically even send a digital audio signal through it.

The only real problem I can see is if the Quadscan has some kind of auto sensing for the VGA input so that it doesn't allow you to switch to passthrough unless it's a signal it recognizes. However - if it supports synch-on-green signals (quite a lot of unix workstations use this) - it should also pass through progressive component unmodified as that uses the same pins (synch is on the green pin for RGsB - for component it's thus PrYsPb.. synch on the luminance signal in other words). The signal is also sufficiently high frequency that that shouldn't be a problem. So ask Jason if it supports VGA passthrough of synch-on-green; if it does, you're good to go.

Oh yes - one more time if I hadn't said it clear enough earlier: 480p using VGA signal to the LT150 is B_A_D! It fscks with the synchronization of the projector causing scaling artifacts - and you also lose all aspect ratio control. Thus if a game is in widescreen you can't switch to that using the anamorphic mode on the projector.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Frode. Between extra cables and transcoders and etc., it sounds like a whole lot of money for a very small boost in performance. I think I'm just going to stick to an S-Video connection via either a Quadscan Pro or an iScan Plus v2.

Huey believes that the Quadscan Pro would provide a better picture than the iScan Plus v2, via an S-Video connection, with the LT150. Do you agree?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I agree that the Quadscan should provide a better picture over the iscan as the iscan is only 480p, while the Quadscan can scale to the native resolution of your projector.

The Quadscan apparently already comes with a componentvga breakout cable - so it doesn't cost you anything extra to try it out with the xbox hd pack. That also allows you to see for yourself what the difference in picture quality is like. I checked the specifications just now and they say it can output synch-on-green which means it should be able to accept it on the input as well. So progressive component through the VGA passthrough should work, but I can't be dead on sure as I don't have a Quadscan to test it on.

The transcoder is a waste of money regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually just discovered this transcoder that permits aspect ratio control AND supports surround sound via a Toslink connection. If the VGA pass-through doesn't work, what do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It really depends on what it outputs for 16:9 games. It could be 848x480 (widescreen), 720x480 (anamorphic)- or 848x600 (letterbox). Of those three only 848x600 would display correctly on an LT150. However since it's based on the original component HD pack it's far more likely that the resolution is 720x480 anamorphic - which wouldn't work at all with regards to the aspect ratio control. It's a whole lot cheaper than forking out $300 for a transcoder though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.