AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With OLED coming out soon, will we see SED out in the near future? I know Canon abandon the technology but could it change?

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiOBoY529  /t/1421838/with-oled-coming-out-soon-will-we-see#post_22250164

With OLED coming out soon, will we see SED out in the near future? I know Canon abandon the technology but could it change?

No, it cannot change. You will not see it from anyone. Can I say never? No, but I come awfully, awfully close to saying never. Once OLED commercialization of large sizes does occur, the move to eventually develop roll-to-roll production will be overwhelming for RGB solutions and even LG's RGBW solution may be produced on roll-to-method using Corning's new glass and some very well understood color-filter-making techniques*. There will not be room for a competing technology because display is a scale business. Every single technology effort that purported to come to market by being cheaper or fundamentally superior has failed unless it brought overwhelming scale with it.

* LG would also have to replace vapor deposition of the white material with a roll-based process, but if "printable" RGB ever becomes feasible, "sprayable" white will definitionally have become feasible several years earlier. LG would only need that.

Reactions: Tazishere
1 - 4 of 4 Posts