AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already seen our local UE and Walmart having some major electronic sales, our business department says its to boost spending in that area as its been hit the hardest. My cousin (manager at our local best buy) has more or less said the same thing, things like TV's, speakers and big ticket appliances have all went south dramatically (especially compared to last summer)

with all this happening do you think we'll start seeing some major sales on some of the bigger LCD screens? Its weird how the economy is going south yet I'm doing the best I ever have, and would really like to get a 2nd 52A650 for the office, but if prices are going to drop through the floor I'd definatly hold off.

Also, when do you think we'll hear more about the new Samsung sets (850/950) ? If they are going to get released by August or September I'll just hold off and get one of those.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You should ask your cousin the BB manager if they are starting to order fewer high end LCDs. If that's the case, they will probably try to hold the prices higher as long as possible. There is also lots of inflation going on, so I think they would be more apt to order less and charge more in the future. Or carry more lower end stuff to keep prices down. Just my thoughts.

But if he is a manager, he might have better info on what they are actually doing to balance suppy and demand.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he only manages the floor workers, not in charge of inventory at all (from what i know at least) he works around the Chicago area so I imagine they will always have business and a demand, just it seems to be really cutting out the lower middle class from these purchases. I'll ask him though if he can find out what there ordering is like at that moment, and post back here.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think this market is MUCH more like the cell phone business. There is less and less that distinguishes one set from another. If people just "need" a basic flat panel, they view ALL flat panels as commodities. So, I think what you will see is more and more "basic" flat panel's available a key prices. The benefit to those who know the differences is that some of the ones with additional features may also see their prices drop down to compete with those basic sets.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so in other words give up the dream of an affordably priced 55" Samsung A950?
I keep hoping it comes in under 4k, but i know it wont.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts