AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
The other thing is internet providers are starting to jump on the bandwagon and get greedy and impose data limits. If you stream lots and lots, at some point it may not be economical due to data usage. This will cause the streaming providers to supply feeds with more and more compression so data usage is minimized. On the other end, TV's and projectors are getting better and better. Some streams are unwatchable on oled's and 8K sets. The blacks are so noisy and crushed. My friend just got an oled and said it has a worse picture than his old QLED on some streams cause you can see all the defects and compression. I believe physical media will have a comeback as a result of this.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I watch a lot of content both streaming and disk. Granted all my disk are on a very large server for Plex at full bit rate. So I can stream anytime any where. I have a RS620 and streaming still looks very very good on it with a 138inch screen. I would think you will still buy movies you really enjoy and would want to watch those with the best picture you can. I still buy a lot of 4k movies , most of which now days are classics , or movies I really enjoy watching more then once. Once you go JVC you won’t want anything else. I would also like to see a lossless streaming service, I would pay Netflix extra for such a service. Where it was like streaming the disk. I know it’s possible as I stream full bit blu-rays to my family from my home server.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Luckily I live in an area with high speed internet (200 MB/s). But I just order a 4k UHD player (I already have a HD BR player).
I tried Amazon Prime, Netflix standard, Redbox, Row8, Vudu, Fandango and I am merely satisfied with the steaming quality.
First the soundtrack is nowhere close to a DTS master HD quality.
Second point the image quality is very rarely 4K UHD.
I do not have Netflix 4k but I read that Netflix is lowering its bitrate and increasing the compression rate. I do not want to pay extra for that.

For now streaming will be dedicated for low expectations day to day movie viewing.
And for high quality movies, I will buy a 4k blue ray.

Big question mark is will there be new ones in production when studios are bleeding money???

·
Registered
780 Posts
folks forgot to mention most 4k brays are from 2k digital intermediats as studio workflow production houses cheapout.
however most movie di workflows for 2021 and later are moving to 4k di workflows.
this means better quality 4k discs .

bandwith increases from faster internet plus better 4k discs from bettr 4k di equals better stream quality.
tech improves allways.
and when 8k gets here rinse repeat

Reactions: ng4ever

·
Registered
430 Posts
folks forgot to mention most 4k brays are from 2k digital intermediats as studio workflow production houses cheapout.
however most movie di workflows for 2021 and later are moving to 4k di workflows.

bandwith increases from faster internet plus better 4k discs from bettr 4k di equals better stream quality.
tech improves allways.
I have 1 Gbps so I am ready!

Planning on upgrading to 10 Gbps in a few years.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
My friend just got an oled and said it has a worse picture than his old QLED on some streams cause you can see all the defects and compression. I believe physical media will have a comeback as a result of this.
Never went away with me.
It is still the single best way to appreciate a movie. Best picture and best audio. No dips or lags or stuttering and full on lossless sound.
Also it is great to have something in hand that can be used without the ubiquitous Internet connection and zero possibility of the title being arbitrarily pulled by the streaming service.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I watch a lot of content both streaming and disk. Granted all my disk are on a very large server for Plex at full bit rate. So I can stream anytime any where. I have a RS620 and streaming still looks very very good on it with a 138inch screen. I would think you will still buy movies you really enjoy and would want to watch those with the best picture you can. I still buy a lot of 4k movies , most of which now days are classics , or movies I really enjoy watching more then once. Once you go JVC you won’t want anything else. I would also like to see a lossless streaming service, I would pay Netflix extra for such a service. Where it was like streaming the disk. I know it’s possible as I stream full bit blu-rays to my family from my home server.
It would seem that you, my friend, are an exception rather than a rule as far as bandwidth goes.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

tech improves allways.
I have seen some 2k DIs that look sensational. Studios have top notch up scalers to work with too of course.
The main difference is still the bitrate rather than the resolution. Discs allow a full on and consistent 50+Mbps. This means even static parts of the image don't need to be compressed as much.
A top end display with good blacks and shadow rendition, will show more deficiencies in the highly compressed areas of any stream than a lower end display that is simply crushing it all.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,567 Posts
to take advantage of what a premium projector offers, the high contrast, excellent black levels, etc. – you really need to be viewing a Blu-Ray/4K disc
What does streaming have to do with contrast and black levels? The only difference between streaming and disk is the bitrate. You'd be surprised to know that some of the streamed content actually has pretty good bitrates. A netflix movie can still be about 30gb. IMO, it's the audio that suffers a bit over the video in streaming vs disk.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I share your concern regarding the growing importance of streaming and streaming’s intrinsic lower quality. However projectors are currently the only way to get a screen size above 80 inches at an « affordable » price and with a small « footprint » in terms of space/weight.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Reading thru this thread I get the feeling you have to be all in to one method or the other. Years ago I had cable kind of the streaming of the day and I also had an inexpensive source of DVDs I ended up with a collection of over 3000 DVDs. Cable was always late to the party with new releases and you had to watch it when it was on.

Now with streaming it is when you want it but new release still lag unless you want to pay extra for the new release. We wait on some and we rent some (RedBox) or pay to stream some. We then are now very selective as to what we actually go out and buy the hard media.

The collection has slowed way down but what we collect now are special movies that we will enjoy over and over along with the bonus materials that don’t stream. Instead of buying 10 movies a week we now buy about 10 per year.
The old DVD collection still gets selective playing and a select few have been updated even. The collected media is now a lot more special IMO. There is room for both methods.

·
Registered
204 Posts
All you people that love streaming, feel free to pm me for my address and send me your blu-ray collections... you obviously don't need them, and they're just taking up valuable space. :rolleyes:

Buy the best projector you can, and then feed it the best video you can... always. Base it on your observations and your budget. I'm still running 9" LC CRT guns side by side with JVC DILA because the only projectors that come close to original film-like quality are CRT and the high end LCoS. Digital is harsh, and streaming makes it harsher... Artifacts pull me right out of the movie. It isn't the resolution that matters as much as the correct color, lack of pixelation, and especially the darks... Guess which projector actually gets used the most... (Hint... it isn't the JVC)

I agree that streaming will improve, but I still like disc in hand, pre-mastered and optimized. Mine to watch when I want, under my control and not sub-optimally recompressed for streaming, or lost at any point when someone else, other than you, decides it.

Sorry, movie night's over because the internet's slow, or broken, or they removed my purchase, etc. Yuck. Streaming is for the livingroom tv for now. :)

Get the best JVC you can afford, or if you have the space, patience to dabble, and don't have the need to say you can run UHD, pick up a high-end CRT projector for peanuts.

How's that for a dinosaur's point of view... hehe

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
All you people that love streaming, feel free to pm me for my address and send me your blu-ray collections... you obviously don't need them, and they're just taking up valuable space. :rolleyes:

Buy the best projector you can, and then feed it the best video you can... always. Base it on your observations and your budget. I'm still running 9" LC CRT guns side by side with JVC DILA because the only projectors that come close to original film-like quality are CRT and the high end LCoS. Digital is harsh, and streaming makes it harsher... Artifacts pull me right out of the movie. It isn't the resolution that matters as much as the correct color, lack of pixelation, and especially the darks... Guess which projector actually gets used the most... (Hint... it isn't the JVC)

I agree that streaming will improve, but I still like disc in hand, pre-mastered and optimized. Mine to watch when I want, under my control and not sub-optimally recompressed for streaming, or lost at any point when someone else, other than you, decides it.

Sorry, movie night's over because the internet's slow, or broken, or they removed my purchase, etc. Yuck. Streaming is for the livingroom tv for now. :)

Get the best JVC you can afford, or if you have the space, patience to dabble, and don't have the need to say you can run UHD, pick up a high-end CRT projector for peanuts.

How's that for a dinosaur's point of view... hehe
Pertinent points, well made. Though lost on many I fear.
Said from the pov of someone who isn't a dinosaur but likes to own my purchases, tangibly and in their best form, in the real sense of the word.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another bad point for streaming is the moves over the last year or so on licensing.
Once license agreements change titles get pulled from one service and given to another.
I recall awhile back people complaining about how the titles they bought on a service were removed because of license changes and they couldn't access what they paid for and didn't get refunds for what they bought and thought they owned.
One of the reasons I don't use cloud storage or buy cloud based software.

I doubt physical media will die because there will always be a demand and they make good money on it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Yes, I have no wish to be forced to buy things more than once.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discs i.e. 4KHDR w/Atmos are better than streaming for the most part. I like the Apple 4KTV because I can just pack up the A4KTV and take it with me, prior to Covid-19, or I can d/l directly to my computer. No need to pack discs, I can take 300 movies with me w/o taking up additional space, the caveat of course is Internet speed. Streaming has definitely gotten better during Covid-19, once streaming services figure out new algorithms streaming will become even better.

Watch out, AI is going to take over, and then down the hole we all go.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't see what this has to do with streaming and projection.

A good projector like a JVC is paid for due to the insane contrast it holds and the ability to resolve 4K resolution.

This doesn't change. A 4K resolution image, whether streamed or via Bluray within reason is going to look much better on a high end JVC than an entry level Epson. Thats really what you're still paying for.

Reactions: Azekecse

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I am getting ready to update and upgrade our projector, with a plan to step it up a bit this time with a JVC projector. But…I’m wondering if it is really worth getting a higher-end projector at this point in time. Looking into the future, it is evident that streaming will eventually take over as the only accessible means of watching movies at home, and streaming video simply does not take advantage of that last 10% edge in quality that you are paying for with a nice projector. In reality, we are already at a point where streaming has taken over, but Blu-Rays are still being made and they are accessible. That being said, Netflix will eventually be discontinuing disc rental and video stores simply don’t exist anymore. Blu-rays will likely be manufactured for some time, but eventually one will need to actually purchase discs to watch them. We are huge film buffs and watch hundreds of movies in a year, so this is not a viable option and also have no interest in owning a collection of movies.

Granted, streaming video quality has gotten very good, but still - to take advantage of what a premium projector offers, the high contrast, excellent black levels, etc. – you really need to be viewing a Blu-Ray/4K disc, or step up to something like a Kaleidescape. I’m starting to think that buying anything more than a solid mid-range projector is a waste of money if one is only watching streaming video.

I’d love to hear other’s thoughts on this topic.
The means of delivering the content has nothing to do with the display device quality. If you have a crap media player and a low bandwidth pipe, the content will look just as bad on a cheap projector as good one.. Content does not specify contrast.. that is a function of the display device. The content that is streamed is not the issue, it is the bandwidth you have access to and the device you are steaming on.
So is it worth it for you to upgrade, that is something only you can answer. I know that the quality of all streamed content is better than what I get from Verizon FIOS.. .. FIOS HD is so poor it can hardly be call HD..[/QUOTE]

21 - 40 of 46 Posts