Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but I hope you can tell me, please.

For a HTPC, going through an A/V Onkyo THX to a front projector.

After reading a lot, and experiencing lots of confusion, I am thinking about these cards for my first HTPC:

1. MyHD Card for OTA HD

2. Xcard and PCI Card Combo: for DVD, and I am thinking I can feed S-Video from a VHS if I want to play that and improve it.

That uses 3 of 5 slots. (Seems like I could potentially need 10 slots:eek: , after reading here).

I presume I also need a regular video card, right? Especially if I want to do some Internet browsing, or display of the Windows interface for some reason.

If that is the case, what are the contenders? I have searched hear and find a consensus for Radeon, but a LOT of complaints about drivers. Didn't find may hits on recommended cards.

Thanks for your input

Roger

(Great site and bunch of people :) )

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you a gamer? If so, a Radeon 9600 Pro would (IMO) be the minimum, better would be a 9700 Pro or even 9800. If not, a 9600 non-pro will do what you need for less money. For drivers, try the Catalyst 3.4 - they support 1080i. You'll find lots of complaints about drivers because....well, they're drivers & they often as not don't work as they should. (You'll find as many if not more complaints about Nvidia.)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been reading the forums alot prior to my 1st HTPC attempt. I ordered a transcoder from the link on this site a couple days ago. I have 2 GeForce3ti200 cards. One is 128MB. And I have an ATI Radeon 8500. I'm definitely plan to use my 8500. After the 8500, I don't think there has been dramatic changes in the cards for say, everything BUT gaming. I think you are more apt to see an ATI primary video card in peoples HTPC than an Nvidia card.

·
Registered
334 Posts
8500/9000/9100/9200 Radeons all use the same chipset. 9500/9600 cards use a better chipset for rendering 3d effects, plus a lot of people claim better PQ with these cards. Right now the sweet spot as far as bang for your buck is the 9600 non-pro. Anything above that would not gain you much except in the gaming area.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Right now the sweet spot as far as bang for your buck is the 9600 non-pro.
I just went out to the Radeon site, and I'm having difficulty identifying for sure what cards you are talking about. They show:

9600s
  • ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 PRO
  • RADEON 9600 XT
  • RADEON 9600 PRO

So, I presume that the 9600 XT is what you are referring to as the Non Pro you are referencing? Or is there a plain 9600, that is doscontinued or something?

[edit] Oops. I just did more searching on their web site, and find a plain ole' 9600.[edit]

I'm not a gamer right now, but who knows what will happen?

I will do some price comparisons, and start serious consideration of the Radeon. Not seeing much other response to others here.

Thanks

Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.