AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most people have a media center PC so they can play all their downloaded media on their TV's, plain and simple.

For the copyright conscious people, are HTPC's not just glorified DVD players in a sense, plus Youtube?

What else are people using their machines for at their TV?

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you spend enough time on this forum, you will see just how much money people around here spend on their home theaters. People use them as dvd/movie jukeboxes, dvr, games, upscaling, bluray. I suggest reading threads in the forum.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpy /forum/post/15581227

I'm sure most people have a media center PC so they can play all their downloaded media on their TV's, plain and simple.

I've had an HTPC since 2000. As a matter of fact, I've never, ever owned a DVD player or BRD player and I haven't owned a CD player since 2000. I have never downloaded any movie or any music (even legally, including itunes) or shared anything across the internet in my life.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:

For the copyright conscious people, are HTPC's not just glorified DVD players in a sense, plus Youtube?

FWIW, I don't have a single piece of downloaded content on my HTPC.

So yes I would and do have it for other reasons.

In no particular order:

Single always on no wait access to my DVD collection w/ viewable catalog.

Record HD content without tying up the Direct TV DVR.

Blu Ray / HD DVD drive

Single always on no wait access to my CD collection w/ viewable catalog.

Easily upgradeable for new technologies. (Can't get caught on the wrong side when the next HD DVD goes kaput)

Wish the hdpc-20 didn't die though. Still looking forward to the day 1 device will be all we need to watch TV, DVD, listen to music, CD etc. No switching inputs, universal remotes w/ macros etc. Just select what you want and watch/listen to it. Someday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cooch, I hope you'll go into some detail for me so I can understand how to really unlock the potential of my HTPC. Do you use windows? I'll assume you do I guess for this post..

- DVD's.. You rip your DVD's to files, then put them into a front-end MCE style software? I've looked at VMC, it's like meh.. I do like XBMC, looks great.. What do you use to view them? And if you don't mind telling me a bit about what tools you use for ripping your DVD's?

- Recording HD content... You have a TV tuner, as well as a standalone DVR? Any reason for that? I understand with our Scientific American digital cable boxes here we can just run a firewire cable and record to our PC's here.. but not in HD.. I guess I'd need a HD TV tuner for that?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Quote:

"Without Piracy, Would you have an HTPC? If so, what for?"

What the heck does that sentence mean? I'm going with: "Besides downloading copyrighted material, what else do you use your HTPC for?"

(1) Recording a 3rd show with VMC and OTA when my cable box PVR is busy recording two other shows.

(2) Downloading missed TV shows. This is technically pirated material, but they're TV shows that I forgot to record so I have no problem sleeping at night.

(3) Listening to my lossless music library via my AVR.

(4) Watching home videos on the big TV.

(5) Looking at digital pictures on the big TV.

(6) Accessing the computer remotely via my wireless laptop, using it as my primary machine because it's damn fast and has plenty of storage.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee /forum/post/15581372

I've had an HTPC since 2000. As a matter of fact, I've never, ever owned a DVD player or BRD player and I haven't owned a CD player since 2000. I have never downloaded any movie or any music (even legally, including itunes) or shared anything across the internet in my life.

It's the same with me. Never had a standalone. Started with this Creative MPEG2 decoder card and bundeled drive in 1999. AT that time my CRT monitor was larger than my TV. As the years passed I got used to the comfort of a HTPC with region free DVDs and I never bought a stanalone. I like the idea to have one single case for home entertainment purposes. My HTPC is a BD player, DVD player, game console, TV tuner, music box and a typewriter. No more stanalone equipment in a huge ugly rack. Except for my A/V receivber and the TV I do not have any more home entertainment equipment in the house at all. All is done by the HTPC.

But I have to agree with the OP in one thing: All these MKV and 'backup' discussions. Why would anyone waste precious lifetime in ripping, remuxing BDs if he just needs to go a few steps to his dvd shelf. I do not doubt that there are some people who are really archiving their collection on HDD. I simply find it strange that people are ripping hundreds of BDs on dozens of HDDs. Some people here probably do no longer have a dvd shelf but a HDD shelf.

But just reading between the lines of certain threads and it is quite obvious that a lot of the people which are posting there are either pirating movies (e.g. from rentals) or watching downloaded pirated movies. Well, I honestly do not care about that anymore. I just ignore suspicious threads and posts.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:

If that's your "perspective" on HTPCs, they are not for you. You truly don't understand what they are capable of, and it has nothing to do with piracy or downloading.

As (just one of many) an e.g. I have over 2000 hours of high definition recordings, and they are accessible with a single click. Show me a cable company/sat DVR box that can do that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
suuuuuure, all my medie is 100% legal! I would never do anything illegal ever, why are you accusing me of such??

is this a trap? is the OP working with the FBI?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/15581887

If that's your "perspective" on HTPCs, they are not for you. You truly don't understand what they are capable of, and it has nothing to do with piracy or downloading.

As (just one of many) an e.g. I have over 2000 hours of high definition recordings, and they are accessible with a single click. Show me a cable company/sat DVR box that can do that.

I asked questions without perspective. I'm not sure what you're getting at. There are many uses for HTPC's, and clearly playing files is the biggest and most common use. Where people are getting the files is a discussion for another thread I guess. Clearly having media collections online at a click is probably the biggest convenience of housing all your stuff on one PC, or on a client/server solution. Seems like lots of people are ripping their collections, others are downloading. Going further with your thought, I bet there's lots of pirates who got tired of having their XVID collections on DVD's, and when HDD's got cheap, copied them all back online.

Anyways I'm just trying to understand how people who don't go the easy route of "download and watch" use their HTPC's. It's not meant as an attack or to start the ten millionth piracy debate, just curious.

I guess I'm most curious how people are using their HTPC's to interact with television, especially in Windows. From what I've read so far, SageTV seems the best option, and their $200 extender box seems like a great way to do the basics without having an HTPC altogether, or to support a second TV.

Am I correct that most people, even with a HTPC and TV tuner, keep their cable STB/DVR from the cable company - for lack of a good guide/remote control solution without getting complicated?

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpy /forum/post/15581579

Thanks Cooch, I hope you'll go into some detail for me so I can understand how to really unlock the potential of my HTPC. Do you use windows? I'll assume you do I guess for this post..

- DVD's.. You rip your DVD's to files, then put them into a front-end MCE style software? I've looked at VMC, it's like meh.. I do like XBMC, looks great.. What do you use to view them? And if you don't mind telling me a bit about what tools you use for ripping your DVD's?

- Recording HD content... You have a TV tuner, as well as a standalone DVR? Any reason for that? I understand with our Scientific American digital cable boxes here we can just run a firewire cable and record to our PC's here.. but not in HD.. I guess I'd need a HD TV tuner for that?

I use Vista Media Center. If you're looking for as close to plug and play as you can use VMC.

I rip my DVDs using DVD decryptor to vobs and play them in VMC. I use my movies but could just as easily use DVD Library built into VMC.

TV yes I have a Direct TV dvr and a hdhomerun to view unencrypted qam that I get because I have a cable modem. Works out well for shows when the dvr is busy.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
So, like many others here, I am not using my HTPC for piracy.

You say it was not meant to start a debate over Piracy, but why even mention it in the title of the thread. It implies that people with HTPCs are just bunch of pirates.

Clearly that is not the case.

I use mine for Pictures, Music, streaming and downloading content from the internet (legitimate sources, seem my thread on Sources for online content), recording OTA TV shows (DVR), internet radio, movie trailers, news, Blu-ray and DVDs, etc.

There are plenty of legitimate uses for an HTPC.

I recently cancelled my Dish Network because I can get everything I want from OTA or directly from the studios for free.

Guide data comes with VMC, so this is not complicated at all.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpy /forum/post/15582204

I asked questions without perspective. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

You're thread title makes it pretty clear your perspective is that HTPCs are used primarily for playing pirated content.

Quote:
Anyways I'm just trying to understand how people who don't go the easy route of "download and watch" use their HTPC's. It's not meant as an attack or to start the ten millionth piracy debate, just curious.

Just read the forum, the whole thing is devoted to the use of PC for viewing legally obtained content.

Quote:
I guess I'm most curious how people are using their HTPC's to interact with television, especially in Windows. From what I've read so far, SageTV seems the best option, and their $200 extender box seems like a great way to do the basics without having an HTPC altogether, or to support a second TV.

Am I correct that most people, even with a HTPC and TV tuner, keep their cable STB/DVR from the cable company - for lack of a good guide/remote control solution without getting complicated?

You're looking for a consensus where there is none.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

Quote:

I think that's a valid question, and today even if I could not rip my so-called "copy protected" movies, I'd still have an HTPC.

While a Tivo can play youtube, amazon and netflix (netflix in a crippled sort of way), it can't play iTunes videos, or any of the legal ways of viewing network TV online, you still need a computer for that. Apple TV will play some things, but not all.

A computer will play almost anything. There is a recent thread that lists like a hundred sites with great content, most of which can't be viewd on anything but a computer.

Windows Media Center is great for viewing personal pictures.

If you have no interest in playing Bluray then a $500 PC will display a whole lot of stuff in the living room.

~Jay

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I built my HTPC with a blu ray drive thinking I would start buying discs or getting rentals from Blockbuster again.

The blu ray drive was a waste of $100. I should've spent that extra money on a higher bandwidth internet connection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some of these people are delusional if you don't think that the majority of people using an htpc access at least some pirated material. Give me a break...

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havix /forum/post/15583108

Some of these people are delusional if you don't think that the majority of people using an htpc access at least some pirated material. Give me a break...

It always makes it easier to break the law when you use the "Everybody does it" excuse.

Doesn't it

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch /forum/post/15583227

It always makes it easier to break the law when you use the "Everybody does it" excuse.

Doesn't it

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what's making it so easy. I was just pointing out that to ignore the simple truth that the majority of htpc owners pirate some of their content is to be ignorant of the htpc scene as a whole. You're a perfect example

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havix /forum/post/15583256

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what's making it so easy. I was just pointing out that to ignore the simple truth that the majority of htpc owners pirate some of their content is to be ignorant of the htpc scene as a whole. You're a perfect example

Lame

Keep making excuses on why you break the law though.

Works for you.

Why don't you check out my employer and tell me how much pirated content I have on my HTPC.

http://www.copyright.com/

Once again, just because you break the law doesn't mean everyone else is a criminal.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You don't have to be a pirate to enjoy HTPCs. I am Mr. Clean.

Yes, I would still have a HTPC. I've been toying around with them for a long time, starting in '99 when I got a Matrox G400 dual head video card. I took a break for a few years, and then got back into it.

As I look over to my media shelves, I see a big stack of CDs that have all been ripped/compressed onto my PC and iPod. Those don't take up too much space. Then I look at all the DVDs and BDs, and do some quick math, and realize that even with 2TB of storage, I couldn't come close to ripping all of them. Heck, that wouldn't even be enough space for me to rip all of my Star Trek, Stargate, and X Files dvds. I don't see how people could rip their entire DVD library without huge raid configurations (translate that as heat, cooling fans & their noise, electricity, etc), though the convenience seems appealing.

It is nice to use my HTPC to record OTA HDTV and to record from my Dish receiver and store it to a much larger HDD than DVRs come with. Also, it is extremely handy to burn shows to DVDs if I ever need to free some HDD space.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.