AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Excellent news for my Sister who has been pestering me to buy the DVD version.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
This will be a great showcase of blu-ray... or not. I have my fingers crossed. Of course, I already have the SD DVD version, so the price better be right.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
High def sound? So hopefully we get a mono Dolby TrueHD track, no EE, no DNR, no open matte/cropped/zoomed, just beautiful 4:3 pillarboxed HD.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art sonneborn /forum/post/15515761

the hd version shown regularly on tnt is quite impressive. If they don't try to dnr and sharpen that we will be in for a treat.

Art

+1

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
A must buy for me.

·
Registered
14,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/15515761

The HD version shown regularly on TNT is quite impressive. If they don't try to DNR and sharpen that we will be in for a treat.

Art

Agreed and those are big "ifs".

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/15515761

The HD version shown regularly on TNT is quite impressive. If they don't try to DNR and sharpen that we will be in for a treat.

Art

It's almost too hi-def - e.g., you can clearly see the string/fishline used to pull and wag the Cowardly Lion's tail. I suspect the fake outdoor backgrounds will look even more fake to where it could pull you out of the picture and make you realize you're watching a studio set.

Will this be the widescreen version? (just kidding!!!)

On the other hand, being able to watch it in original-print quality without commercial interruptions will be a nice treat. When they did the ultra-resolution restoration a few years ago, did they scan it in hi-def, or are they going to have to redo the process all over again for the Blu-Ray?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
yes the existing transfer used for HD broadcast with a better encode would make a good bluray

some other placeholders for classic movies i'd buy immediately
Gone With the Wind (another one coming up on it's 70th anniversary)
The Sound of Music
King Kong (1933)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/15516791

When they did the ultra-resolution restoration a few years ago, did they scan it in hi-def, or are they going to have to redo the process all over again for the Blu-Ray?

warner's "ultra-resolution restoration" involves a 4K scan of the print... so yeah they scanned it in high def

·
Registered
24,953 Posts

Quote:

It's almost too hi-def - e.g., you can clearly see the string/fishline used to pull and wag the Cowardly Lion's tail. I suspect the fake outdoor backgrounds will look even more fake to where it could pull you out of the picture and make you realize you're watching a studio set.

Will this be the widescreen version? (just kidding!!!)

On the other hand, being able to watch it in original-print quality without commercial interruptions will be a nice treat. When they did the ultra-resolution restoration a few years ago, did they scan it in hi-def, or are they going to have to redo the process all over again for the Blu-Ray?

Yea, but if you look at this film as the masterpiece that it is instead ,you can enjoy what they did with what they had. You can see the hooks release that hold the tinman down during his extreme leans when he dances, you can apprciate even more how incredible it is when the wicked witch drops behind the fire and smoke through a trap door or the fact that it was a stunt woman who fell into the pig pen or the most incredible looking tornado of all time (hammers the ones in Twister). It goes on and on. This film looks spectacular in HD and is an incredible achievment.

Art

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore /forum/post/15517622

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

"my dear" - how sweet!

XOXOXOXO right back at ya!!

I love The Wizard of Oz, even though the flying monkeys gave me nightmares as a kid in the late '50s (that's late 1950s, though I'm soon going to be in my late 50s). And I liked the musical WICKED. See it if a good production comes to your town.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.