AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/17031150

The BD does have a release date, although I can't recall what it is....

29 Sept. 09

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/17031810

I'd be surprised if it would be at any local digital theaters. How do we find out where it will be showing ? I'd be interested in seeing if it gets DCI color space. I can see no other advantages to seeing it at at a commercial theater.

Art

Go to the link in the first post, in the upper right hand corner there's a box to enter your zip code, then select "Buy Ticket" to find out where it's playing near you (you do not have to buy a ticket by clicking the link).

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/17035150

Probably not going to make the theatrical presentation, but I know where I'll be Sept. 29th when the BR is available!

Yep, me too. I've had the The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu Ray on pre-order for months.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
The last DVD release completely blew me away.

I never get tired of this classic, but I'll rent the BD first.

It's a WB release and experience has taught me they can't be trusted with blind buys of their BDs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It was shown at numerous theaters near me and surrounding areas tonight including digital locations. They did a nice job with extra content as described in the OPs link.

I saw it at a sold out showing and thought the PQ and sound was very well done. It actually had some nice bass in several scenes.

At my theater there was a glitch which caused about a 15 minute delay (lights up) right before opening credits but after the Robert Osborne intro and the “To Oz! The Making of a Classic”.

Believe it or not there was a woman a few seats up who was video taping the whole movie. Unfortunately my wife told me as we were leaving as I would have said something at the time.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
I didn't get to see it, but my mom and sister in NY did and they were disappointed. They were let down by the PQ and expected more. Mom commented on how there were bars on the left and right, and I went on to explain about widescreen etc. I am curious as to how others thought the PQ was/is.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
One other note...

The tickets were priced at a higher, flat rate. $10 per seat for children and adults.

I thought it was a bit pricey but they gladly and pleasantly refunded our money due to the "glitch" and movie delay. No complaints here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tonight I experienced one of the greatest moments in theater history for me. I am 21 years old and tonight was the first time in my life that I had seen the film in its entirety. Heck it was the first time I had seen anything to do with the film that was longer then 30 seconds.

I can say that right from the beginning I was blown away. Not only did I enjoy the opening specials, but I immediately knew the film would be spectacular when a statement came across the screen stating that the film would be presented in a full screen aspect ratio so as to preserve the OAR.

From here the movie started and I have to honestly state that for a 70 year old film and given that a film of that age can only look so good I would easily and definitively quantify the video quality as reference. I do not know if I would say the same about the audio but nonetheless I do feel that the audio was truly well done. The only reason I discredit the audio is because I had no way of known if the audio was being presented in a surround sound mix or a mono/stereo mix.

I should note that before coming to this thread on here I was reading a thread over at the highdefdigest website in which many posters were commenting on lackluster theaters and how the appeal of going to a theater has been lost. The relevancy of this fact is that tonight everything seemed great. I didn't notice any excessive grain on the screen. I didn't have any annoying screaming. No teens texting or chatting during the film. Hell if I can say so, the crowd was perfect. They laughed when it was appropriate to do so and at they end everyone, myself included, clapped for we all knew that although the film was 70 years old, what we had just experienced was something magical and spectacular. Something that we may never get to experience again.

I have no doubts that the forthcoming blu-ray release will sure be a definitively release that will please the masses. I would even go so far as to say that our own resident blu-ray reviewer Ralph Plotts would probably give the film the highest score it could get, given that it is a 70 year old film. That score may not be a perfect 100 but surely the best it could be.

In closing I can safely say that the $11 I spent to experience this once in a lifetime event is money well spent and something I shall never regret. Thank you all and have a good night. I can only hope others got to experience that of which I did.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFees /forum/post/17235951

I have no doubts that the forthcoming blu-ray release will sure be a definitively release that will please the masses.

For sure! After all, when it comes to viewing The Wizard of Oz, "there's no place like home."

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I caught this one last night as well. I was surprised that the theater was nearly full. How did people find out about it? I only found out through this thread!

Last night was the first, and probably the last, chance we'll ever get an opportunity to see Oz on the really big screen. My fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We enjoyed the documentary that preceded the film.

The film looked and sounded great. It wasn't quite as sharp or detailed as I had expected, but better than I'd ever seen it before for sure. The color "wandered" a bit

from time to time, but for a 70 year old film, it looked just fine.

It was a good time and I'm glad we went.

Cary

·
Registered
24,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFees /forum/post/17235951

Tonight I experienced one of the greatest moments in theater history for me. I am 21 years old and tonight was the first time in my life that I had seen the film in its entirety. Heck it was the first time I had seen anything to do with the film that was longer then 30 seconds.

I can say that right from the beginning I was blown away. Not only did I enjoy the opening specials, but I immediately knew the film would be spectacular when a statement came across the screen stating that the film would be presented in a full screen aspect ratio so as to preserve the OAR.

From here the movie started and I have to honestly state that for a 70 year old film and given that a film of that age can only look so good I would easily and definitively quantify the video quality as reference. I do not know if I would say the same about the audio but nonetheless I do feel that the audio was truly well done. The only reason I discredit the audio is because I had no way of known if the audio was being presented in a surround sound mix or a mono/stereo mix.

I should note that before coming to this thread on here I was reading a thread over at the highdefdigest website in which many posters were commenting on lackluster theaters and how the appeal of going to a theater has been lost. The relevancy of this fact is that tonight everything seemed great. I didn't notice any excessive grain on the screen. I didn't have any annoying screaming. No teens texting or chatting during the film. Hell if I can say so, the crowd was perfect. They laughed when it was appropriate to do so and at they end everyone, myself included, clapped for we all knew that although the film was 70 years old, what we had just experienced was something magical and spectacular. Something that we may never get to experience again.

I have no doubts that the forthcoming blu-ray release will sure be a definitively release that will please the masses. I would even go so far as to say that our own resident blu-ray reviewer Ralph Plotts would probably give the film the highest score it could get, given that it is a 70 year old film. That score may not be a perfect 100 but surely the best it could be.

In closing I can safely say that the $11 I spent to experience this once in a lifetime event is money well spent and something I shall never regret. Thank you all and have a good night. I can only hope others got to experience that of which I did.

Great to hear ! I really wanted to go but my son had an away game on Wednesday evening.

Art

1 - 20 of 24 Posts