Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Success!!!

Here is an e-mail that I just received from Mr. Chris Pike, the President and General Manager of WJLA-TV, the ABC affiliate for Washington, DC:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Gammans,

WJLA currently plans to provide HDTV service beginning sometime in 2002. This may or may not be coordinated with our relocation currently planned for next summer. I am sure that when this service becomes available we will let viewers who have the ability to receive HDTV programming know of its availability.

Christopher W. Pike

President and General Manager

Chris Pike, G.M.

WJLA-TV

3007 Tilden St. NW

Washington, DC 20008

Phone: (202) 364-7800

Fax: (202) 364-1943
As far as I know, this is the first concrete, definitive statement that I have ever seen from the management of WJLA-TV. Coming from the president and GM himself, I would have to give this statement a lot of credence.

Before anyone says anything, yes I see that he did not say when in 2002, so we could still be over a year from high definition broadcasts. Nonetheless, it is encouraging to see Mr. Pike's response.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. I would like to thank the Washington-area forum members who kept those e-mails and letters flowing to WJLA and Mr. Pike. We obviously got his attention!

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Gee, did Joe Allbritton die? :rolleyes:

Hey Scott, great news for HD starved folks in DC that can't get the B'more ABC digital station. Of course, words like "plan" and "may or may not" are worrisome . . .

I'll say one thing: you are persistant - THANKS! :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Call me a pessimist, but the extremely vague wording in that reply gives me the distinct impression that Mr. Pike is just trying to get Scott off his back...

(By the way, I did NOT get a reply from Mr. Pike.)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If what you say about Maryland getting HDTV via cable in 2-way modem areas is great! :D Alot of the heavy populated counties already have this service (2-way cable modems). The question is when will Comcast provide service to Maryland in these areas and if the Counties near DC area will get ABC from Baltimore since WJLA will not pass thru HDTV.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Opps wrong thread. I ment to post to another thread.

But maybe the Cable thing is driving WJLA to deliver service.
Naw, they're just doing it to get me off their backs! :D

Quote:
Call me a pessimist, but the extremely vague wording in that reply gives me the distinct impression that Mr. Pike is just trying to get Scott off his back...
You know, at first I thought that too, but consider this:
  • I think Mr. Pike knows by now that we are a very vocal and persistent bunch. As 2002 marches along he knows we are going to start hollering again if no visible progress is made, so why make any statement at all now if there'll be hell to pay next year? I guess I'm just the kind of person who doesn't fib to take the pressure off and worry about the reprecussions later; I am willing to give Mr. Pike the same benefit of the doubt.
  • WJLA is relocating its facilities next year; that fact has been reported in various local media and by AVS forum members in-the-know. Mr. Pike's statement that the HDTV startup might coincide with this move makes sense and rings true.
  • He's the President and GM of the eighth-largest ABC station in the country... I would hope that prevarication is not a prerequisite for the job!

Just my $0.02. I'm willng to give Mr. Pike and WJLA the benefit of the doubt for now, but I will certainly continue monitoring the situation as the TV season progresses.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hope you're right, Scott!

Here are my thoughts about it. There were three possible ways he could've handled this:

1) Ignore as usual. The result would be a continuing, annoying influx of e-mail complaints.

2) Reply saying that WJLA has no plans to transmit HDTV in the foreseeable future. The result would be a continuing, annoying influx of e-mail complaints.

3) Reply saying in an extremely vague way that WJLA "currently plans" to offer HDTV sometime next year. The result is shutting off the complaint faucet for probably 8-9 months, especially since he vaguely hinted at summertime (although the phrase "may or may not" is essentially meaningless). The use of vague language means he's absolutely blameless if it doesn't happen.

Again, I hope you're right, but given WJLA's reputation, I'm very skeptical!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Marvelous work Scott - and good news too.

I really do think that this forum and our loose association of HDTV buyers here in the DC area have given the TV outlets some things to think about.

I have personally pointed folks from WRC, WMAR, WJLA and others here to the forum. Most have checked in, whether they have posted or not, and have indicated that they were unaware of the information available here before they visited.

Anyhow, thanks for spearheading the effort on WJLA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats Scott Gammans! WAY TO GO!

Notice Scott's letter to the editor was published in the Washington Post 10/26/2001 edition on page A34.

Scott is quickly becoming the Washington area's #1 HDTV evangelist!

It will be interesting to see what happens at WJLA (nothing?) as a result of this letter published in one of our country's (or even the world's) biggest, most influential newspaper.

Keep up the great work, Scott!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Oct25.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.