AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, November 10 at 8 pm WKBD-DT Detroit will broadcast "Escape from Alcatraz" in HDTV on channel 14.

This is the first movie in the Paramount syndicated movie package "HD One." The package also includes the first two Godfather movies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Star Trek 1-6.

Notice that they will not simulcast this movie - the analag channel will carry "Commando" instead.

This HDTV broadcast was announced on UPN-50's home page, and also in their "program changes" page.

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is indeed great news! The only thing that would be better is if they could get HD cameras down at the Joe on a regular basis, so we without HDNet can see the Wings in HD.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Excellent! Being rated PG, they won't have to cut too much out for content either.(well, SPR sets the standard there anyway I guess ;)). I wonder: OAR? Commerical laden? We'll see. And followed by the Wings!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just wanted to throw another comment out there for the Red Wings. And rreini, they seem to be the least televised team on the HDNet, so as much as you are missing great programming in HD, the Wings are not on it!! Hopefully we will see it soon locally!! GO WINGS

·
Registered
938 Posts
After viewing a little over half of the film, I have these comments:

It's probably not OAR (I suspect that was 2.35);

I've seen a few dropouts;

The station ID is very low-tech and appears at inopportune times and not very desirable locations;

The image seems rather grainy to me. But it's sharp.

Other than that, I think it's pretty good. Congrats to WKBD!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Nope. I just checked IMDB and its 1.85:1. Pretty easy to do OAR I guess :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to comment on the Wings. I have written to both UPN50 and Fox sports Detroit on this issue. Although, I only did it by email. You would think that with 180,000 households that watch a game in the Detroit area some money could be spent to upgrade the picture quality if not HD. I thought if more people complained about the quality something might get done.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only caught a few minutes of "Escape from Alcatraz"

Did WKBD show it with commercials?

BTW this movie is scheduled to air again at 2 am on Sunday November 18. I don't know if that's really Saturday night or Sunday night - TV stations tend to define the start of the day at around 6 am instead of midnight. I don't know if that presentation will be in HD.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yes, there were commercials.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.