AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had two issues that I feel compelled to share with this forum. The first issue I had with WKPC was a very bright "White" approx 100% IRE identification logo. I was concerned about Raster Burn with my RPTV. After an e-mail to their Technical Services Manager, I noticed a couple of days later that the logo was reduced in brightness and almost transparent. "Way to Go" WKPC. The next issue was the rather disappointing situation where an Engineer failed to switch the station in to High Definition the night "Nova:Japan's Secret Garden" aired. I was told by their program director that they would keep me on a mailing list to be notified the next time it aired. Aside from this oversight, I don't think you can get much better customer service than this! Compared to other stations in the area, I find it remarkable to even be able to get in touch with station personnel.

Again, Thanks WKPC-DT

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Your quite welcome, I'll pass on your comments to our engineers in Louisville. We've been wondering if anyone was out there...

William

------------------

William Smith

Special Projects Engineer

Division of Technology Development.

KET

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
William, yes there are a few of us. I have been watching WKPC since Nov. 99. I am glad to see at least one OTA HDTV signal in Louisville.

·
Registered
211 Posts
for Mr Smith:

Can you release any information as to KET's schedule for adding DTV service in the rest of Ky? I can receive the Henderson and Madisonville transmitters. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by highwater:
Your quite welcome, I'll pass on your comments to our engineers in Louisville. We've been wondering if anyone was out there...

In comparing the schedules on the web sites of PBS and KET, I notice that we are not being shown the HD content here. Can Mr Smith shed any light as to whats up?

Highwater,

Thanks for pointing that out! Maybe this warrants another e-mail to their Program Director. They seem to have an open ear. However, I really wouldn't get my hopes up.

They obviously aren't obligated to carry all PBS material. But with a Digital Station, I would think they would "want" to carry more of the "quality" HD material. If you e-mail them, let us know how you turn out...

Max

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can't really release any info on the installation schedule yet due to various issues. I will say that we are still targeting completion of all 16 transmitters in 2003. As far as the schedule goes KET's current policy is to broadcast the HD feed when we are airing the same program on KET1. (This is a programming issue not engineering.) The HD switch is currently occuring at the WKPC transmitter site.

Probably not the answers you want but its the best I can do for now.

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Originally posted by cambus:

Does anyone know if WHAS, WAVE, WLKY, or WDRB will be broadcasting any HD OTA signal in the Louisville area this year (2001) ?

I sent e-mails to most of the above mentioned stations last year with aprox same results as you. However WLKY now has an Engineering web page. I told them that 8-VSB tuners were popping up everywhere. That I was watching WKPC-DT 24/7. I asked when I could change the channel????? The reply....first half of 2002.....I really think the demand will escalate rapidly in the next year or so. If you consider that last year at this time virtually NO Major stores in Louisville had any HDTV sets on the show floor. And now you see the Dish Network 1080i signal in all the major stores. They're even advertising HDTV on the Storefront of a little Satellite store in Fern Creek. I think they will get the message soon.....

Max

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You know the drill, Ask me no questions and I tell you no lies!. In reality, there's a lot more to this project for KET than just adding transmitters and antennas that I'm not at libery to address at this time, just take my word for it we are working as fast as we dare. As for stores in the Louisville area when we did our demo it was with Ovation and Sears in J town has called asking about the DTV signal. (No endorsements intended)

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
32 Posts
What antenna are you using for WKPC feed? I have tried an amplified indoor one. My TV will sense a digital signal on 17 but no picture lock. I feel the signal will be too weak even with a rooftop.

I spoke with Direct TV today and for a buck a month they will send me a PBS feed through the oval dish. They said that I will recieve HDTV when they (PBS) broadcast it. Waiting for the next HDTV NOVA. Then I'll know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Originally posted by Robert Dyer:

What antenna are you using for WKPC feed? I spoke with Direct TV today and for a buck a month they will send me a PBS feed through the oval dish. They said that I will recieve HDTV when they (PBS) broadcast it.

Well, Robert , I am about 10 miles south-east of Louisville. I use a Dish 6000 with OTA 8-VSB module connected to Amplified "Rabbit Ears". I generally get about 84% on my signal with a very solid lock. You appear to be closer to their transmitter than I. I don't really understand your problem. To my knowledge, there is not any way of getting PBS HDTV from DirecTV, unless it's a Very recent change that I am unaware of. For your convenience, below is the public FCC information regarding WKPC-DT.

WKPC-DT LOUISVILLE KY US

Channel 17 Offset BLEDT990826KE

KENTUCKY AUTH. FOR ED TELEVISION

N Lat 38 22 1

W Lon 85 49 54

ERP: 60.300 kW

HAAT: 237.0 m

RCAMSL: 427.0 m

Zone: 2

Horizontal Polarization

Uses beam tilt

Directional Antenna

Make: AND Model: ODDWKPC-DT

DIGITAL TV

Good Luck, Max

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Robert,

After the set located the DTV signal tray tuning in 15-1 or 15-2. Depending on your set the PSIP tables will mask the 15 analog signal with the digital feed. We've tested this with a Sony system.

Hope this helps.

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
32 Posts
William,

Thanks for getting me to fetch the amplified rabbit ears from the closet. I hooked it up and ran through the channel search. Both 15 and 17 found (15 analog and 17 digital). While positioning the antenna to max signal on 15, something happened. The setting jumped to 41 and both 15 and 17 showed weak signal (although all other analog channels came in fine - like something locked both 15 and 17 out). I tried 15-1,15-2 and 17-1.17-2 - weak signal on all.

Plan B I disconnected the antenna and ran the channel search again. Wolla ! When I re-attached the antenna I got (15-1 analog) (15-2 digital) (17-1 digital - same program as 15-2) Also I now get 17-2 (different program) 17-3 and 17-4 were detected but no programming. Wow. These results are worth researching further. Guess I can go back to looking into attic OTA antennas. Darn, I thought I was finished crawling around above and below the living spaces of my house.

My HD set is the recalled RCA 38" tube with integrated DTC-100 I have had a lot of fun with it. Esp. with progressive scan DVDs and oval dual-LNB dish. OTA ought to be a cakewalk. Ha Ha

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
17-3 and 17-4 are only active when we are on PBS and PBS is running enhanced SD. 17-1 is KET 1, 17-2 is KET2 under normal condidtions. IF we are on PBS for the HD feed s then -1 is HD. We have tested several receive systems and most have trouble resolving the DTV and Analog channel maps. Ideally all services should be availableas:

15.0 Analog

15.1 KET1

15.2 KET2

15.3 (Partial service from PBS)

15.4 (Partial Service from PBS)

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Robert, watch using indoor amps on the antenna. I live in Hikes Pt. and I use a radio shack antenna mounted in the attic. I get a 83+ on my dtc-100. I tried an amp at first and it made matters worse - I removed the amp and I adjusted the antenna looking for a super clean ch.15 signal - once I had 15 then 17 popped up in 80's. It has been good every since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Originally posted by William Smith:

KET will be broadcasting the Presidential Inauguration Saturday on WKPC-DT.

Thanks William,

I can't wait. This will be my first Over the Air HDTV experience.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I watched the Presidential Inauguration Saturday using my rabbit ears antenna. Great show. You could switch between CNN and KET and see the difference!!! The camera man could have wiped the rain drops and fog off the front lens for a much better picture from some of the cameras.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes,I enjoyed the coverage also. I know they had their problems. It just looked like a very very miserable day for those people to be out in that weather. And you could see that issue best through HDTV. I especially enjoyed the bonus clip afterward of the Light House. I know now where Dish Network acquired some of those stunning clips on their demo loop. I was disappointed when they switched back to local not having finished the show...but I'll take what I can get.... ha....

Thanks WKPC-DT!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.