AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WLNS went full power on their permanent antenna last Friday. I'd like to hear from anyone receiving them from fringe areas. I'm 64.5 miles from their transmitter. I have a Channel master 3020 and preamp sitting in the basement, but before I get up on the roof at this time of year, I'd like to think I have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Comes in clean near Hell.

Wanted to add that I peeked in on the 11:00 news and they were running in stretch mode. Boo hiss.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man E,

Not to invade your privacy, but would you mind giving me a rough idea how far Hell is from the WLNS transmitter ?

p.s Give up on Charters webservers. Install W2K or XP and IIS and run your own. Its technically against the AUP, but they don't care for private use. In any case @home is too disfunctional too notice. For a basic example to see throughput, check my user cp.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Hell is about 40 miles SE of Lansing. I'm closer to it than I am the Detroit transmitters. When I was using analog OTA, I spliced WLNS and WKAR in with the Detroit stations because those two were stronger.

As it turns out, the morons at Charter figured out how to filter. I had set one up (using Apache), but couldn't connect to it from outside. Figures, smart enough to filter but too stupid to integrate a 30-year-old networking standard like FTP. I think that I'll just dump them when DSL makes it out here. Their support is for ****z.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 63 miles west. Reception is better than it was, but it's still spotty. I have a CM 4248, but I don't have a preamp yet. I will eventually try this since WWMT from Kalamazoo has yet to start broadcasting, but Cadillac/Traverse City can get CBS high def. I'm not sure if WLNS is at full power, just broadcasting on the new tower.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

If you can pick it up with a 4248 without pre-amp I should be OK.

To clarify a statement, I'd assumed they went full power by the newsletter I got from the chief Engineer. I emailed him for clarification but haven't yet received a reply.

Quote:
but Cadillac/Traverse City can get CBS high def
I'm not sure what you mean here .I didn't think WWTV-DT was broadcasting yet ? Or are they providing waivers for Dish ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.