AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the hell is WLS going to stop this horrid stretch of 4:3 materail to fill my 16:9 screen. This is unwatchable crap. If any engineer who works there visits these boards, I have to say you don't deserve to have a job. If I'm an engineer I walk into the GM's office and demand that the progaming be broadcast the proper way or I walk. There is no excuse for this BS. Every other network finally pulled their heads out of there butts, while WLS still keeps their head buried up there. And before you ask yes I have e-mailed the station, and it was not nice. There is no reason we should have to put up with this crap. College football on my Mits is like looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle. This pisses me off to no end.:mad:

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Call Craig Strom at the station and tell him your side of things. He will listen to you. Please be polite to him as he has helped in the past with many problems with switching to HD. He is a good guy who listens to what you have to say. Please do not burn any bridges!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I don't think Craig can help. I've e-mail and send a snail mail to the general manager about this issue and she wasn't even nice enough to respond to the request.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently sent an email also about the stretched modes and also the terrible station logo bug during the news. I am just starting to get a little burn in of the logo. :mad:

Typical - no replys. Makes you wonder why they even have email. Even a canned email reply would be an improvement.:confused:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Bears looked bad on their own. We didn't need WLS to make them look even worse with the stretch-o-vision. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
rad,

you need to give Craig a call. I tried the email/snail mail route first and did not get any response either. After talking with Craig, he resolved the issues I had. I believe the number is 312-750-7777???
I'm curious. Are these issues Individual issues, or are they issues affected all of us?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My take is that they effect all of us. WLS-DT stretches/zooms their image to the point of deleting content. Ever try to watch Who Wants to be a Millionare, the bottom two questions were cut off. Watch some of their sports programming and the graphics are cut off (couldn't see the game clock on MNFB last night) or the 'fine print' on ads. The other major networks have gotten with the game plan and stopped reformatting 4:3 content, I think the majority of DTV views would like WLS-DT to stop their current practice.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huzefa
I'm curious. Are these issues Individual issues, or are they issues affected all of us?
Issues that affected us all such as not switching to HD at the proper times and passing through 5.1. Also not switching back to HD after commercial breaks.

huzefa,

are you from Chicagoland?:confused:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Isn't there a law which is being broken? I can't read the fine print on the bottom of the commercials.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Issues that affected us all such as not switching to HD at the proper times and passing through 5.1. Also not switching back to HD after commercial breaks.

huzefa,

are you from Chicagoland?:confused:
Yes, I am from Chicagoland (Skokie to be precise). Its just that I haven't been watching ABC DT for a while now. The only reason I would watch before was for Alias on sundays, but now that's been taken over by Sopranos. So I'm not up to date with any of these problems you guys are referring to. Therefore I wasn't sure if it was an individual problem or a group problem.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried calling Craig yet?
Nope, I haven't. I used to talk to him alot when NYPD Blue first went HD since they always screwed that up. Right now I really don't feel like it. I took the time to write to these folks and got gilch back from them. So if they don't really care about me I try to find something else to watch on a station that listens and responds.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huzefa
Yes, I am from Chicagoland (Skokie to be precise). Its just that I haven't been watching ABC DT for a while now. The only reason I would watch before was for Alias on sundays, but now that's been taken over by Sopranos. So I'm not up to date with any of these problems you guys are referring to. Therefore I wasn't sure if it was an individual problem or a group problem.
I was just curious of your location since you do not have it automatically displayed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is another contact, I also believe he is or was a member here, AVS members were ask in the summer of 2001 to submit their email addresses to him to receive WLS/ABC updates, The last one I got was in Aug, 2002, Kal also stated that he would welcome comments:

Kal Hassan [[email protected]]

Director of Engineering

WLS-TV

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also have this problem with WLS-DT. I end up with the top and bottom of the screen chopped. My biggest gripe is missing the time clock on MNF.

I was ready to try a overscan adjustment on the Mits...maybe I'll wait. If we can get enough comments into WSL, maybe we can get a change.

From a technical standpoint, what would be required of WLS to correct this?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
its rediculous to have to change the overscan to levels that shouldn't exist. WLS should conform to the standards of their viewers. All of the other stations have done this, why do they think they are special? They should take a clue on their own, I'm sure they are aware of the other station's broadcast standards...

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Forceflow
its rediculous to have to change the overscan to levels that shouldn't exist. WLS should conform to the standards of their viewers. All of the other stations have done this, why do they think they are special? They should take a clue on their own, I'm sure they are aware of the other station's broadcast standards...

I agree.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.