AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in the Chicago area be sure to watch the 10:00 PM news on WLS (ABC) on 11/7! They had a teaser tonight about HDTV and it seems like it maybe another ill-informed slamming of HDTV with incorrect old info and scare tactics! During this teaser they sure enough showed the usual false impression price of $14,999 for a HDTV! These reporters still do not have a clue as to the true story as to HDTV pricing and HD content! No doubt they showed the price tag of a Plasma HDTV which is WAY over priced and still inferior to CRT based HDTV's! We need to flood WLS if this does indeed turn out to be another report trying to scare people away fron HD with reports of HDTV's costing $15,000 and NO content to watch!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up..I'll be sure to watch. I also took a chance at trying to head-off yet another HDTV disinformation story and emailed ABC's GM and news departments a precautionary message asking them to actually do RESEARCH and find the real prices of HDTV's today, and to see that content is on the rise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might want to do a little searching this forum (I just tried but can't seem to find it), I saw a post a week or so ago from a member who claimed they were at his house filming for this feature.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Yes, I do recall someone mentioning that--don't remember who. I just got a response from ABC regarding my email(looks like 2 reports on-schedule for this week):

Jim,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding HDTV. I hope you will have the opportunity to watch tonight's segment, as well as tomorrow night's segment (in which we talk to 2 HDTV owners who both bought their sets for under 5-thousand dollars).

Again, thank you for your interest in ABC-7.

Barb Markoff

SPECIAL PROJECTS PRODUCER

ABC 7 / WLS TV

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bardwell
You might want to do a little searching this forum (I just tried but can't seem to find it), I saw a post a week or so ago from a member who claimed they were at his house filming for this feature.
Yes, that was me. They came to my house and spent about an hour and a half interviewing me and shooting extra video. Ron Magers seemed to have a pretty good understanding about the topic before arriving. I have also given them pointers to AVS Forum and HDTV Magazine, so I expect it to turn out better than folks think.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a return eMail from Ron Majors (I wrote him a few others at WLS) and he said that he writes the stories but is not responsible for the promotional announcements. He said I should be pleased with the two night special so it sounds as though the story is opposite the ignorant teaser spot their running! I'll bet Ron Majors is ragging on the department handling the promotional spots as they are giving his special a bad rap even before it runs!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I heard a teaser on the radio that had a message something like:

High definition TV promises a better picture and sound and to change the way we watch TV, but at what cost.

Tune in tonight for HDTV:Mixed Signals.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I also received a response from Magers after emailing a few ABC folk hoping that this would be an 'informed' story and not just another rehash of misinformation.

His response:

"I think your blood pressure might even go down a little after you watch our report."

..I didn't think I was being THAT direct with my concerns ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Teasers for news items or new shows are intentionally provocative. The very existence of this thread proves that they work.

I've seen local stations run features and my personal experience is that there was no particular political agenda. I will watch the segment and I bet they do a good job.

It's interesting to me that ABC has really done a come-from-behind with HDTV broadcasting, and now is in real competition with CBS for content. They may not have quite as many prime time shows but they seem to have more movies than CBS.

We're watching TV as a family, again, just like people did in the good old days.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dan, Ron Majors did a Preview on the 6:30 news (about the HDTV special)and there you were plain as day! Lets hope we don't have to get on you for any mis-information!!! ;)

Got two more eMails from Ron Majors and he mentioned that this is geard towards the newbie who know nothing about HDTV and won't be getting technical at all! He mentioned that their web page will link to some sites for more info on HDTV but unforunately they gave the webmaster a couple dozen sites and AVSForum didin't make the cut!:mad: I am going to eMail Ron and see if he can get the AVSForum linked on their site as it is BY FAR the best for HDTV info!

Ron Majors is VERY interested in what we think of the special so please eMAil him (after you see both segments) at [email protected] .

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, the last two minutes of the segment didn't seem too bad. I read this post, switched over to Dish ch 712, and there it was! Got to see the back of Dan's head as he watched the Phantom Menance DVD.

However, the banter between the on-air talent was predictable: "He spent $150,000 on one. He also bought a Yugo." "Well, he had to cut back on something..."

Back to The Daily Show for some Emmy-winning news!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is my quick summary of WLS HDTV report by Ron Majors:

*1 million HDTVs sold

*Don Farris introduced as typical HDTV owner, people say "wow" when they see it and "wow" when he tells them the cost, (I was getting worried here)

*1080 active lines of resulotion

*does a good newbie job of explaining better picture resolution and different "shape" of HDTV

*Zenith spokesman explains their line of HDTVs range from $1000 for 20" to $25,000 for their big screen plasma (video shot of plasma shown)

*emphasized that critical mass in being reached and prices are dropping fast, a quick flash of some TVs and a $1999 price

*Ron does a great job summarizing what the major networks are broadcasting, mentions CBS prime time HDTV shows but mention they are currently not broadcasting HDTV, Ron also does a good job mentioning that FOX is not broadcasting HDTV!! (even though their digital transmitter is running)

--- tomorrow night Ron will sit down with some local HDTV owner to explain what's needed and how to set it up ---

In summary, I think this was a great bit on HDTVs for newbies, involvement of Zenith rep and CEA rep really helped!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just one clarification... The 1 million HDTV's sold was said in the report " 1 Million HDTV's sold THIS year" not overall!

Hey Dan the WOW quote on the price....your not helping man!

I've continued eMailing back and forth with Ron Majors and I ask if he could get the webmaster to reconsider putting AVSForum in the links on the website and he eMailed that they were having a connection issue and he wanted the exact URL I use to connect so I sent it to him. Looks like he may be getting the link to this forum put up afterall! This was just before 10:00 that I responded so it may not be done until tomorrow.

I ask Ron if he had a HDTV and he replied that he doesn't but was VERY interested after doing this report and was looking at the Plasma HDTV's (He has the funds to get one) but discovered that they are still in need of some improvement in the next couple of years. That's exactly what I tell people who are considering a Plasma HDTV as they just don't have the picture quality of CRT based HDTV's and for the price of Plasma you should get better PQ. He definately seems to do his homework when doing a report and I am so far VERY pleased with the work he has done on it so far!

Here's a direct link to the story online: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/110701_ss_hdtv.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
Hey Dan the WOW quote on the price....your not helping man!
Funny what they can pick out of a 30 minute interview. I guess it must have been a pretty good sound bite for them to use, since that was the blip that appeared on the commercials promoting the report during the day and evening.

I hope you'll approve of tonight's part 2.

Quote:
I ask Ron if he had a HDTV and he replied that he doesn't but was VERY interested after doing this report and was looking at the Plasma HDTV's (He has the funds to get one) but discovered that they are still in need of some improvement in the next couple of years. That's exactly what I tell people who are considering a Plasma HDTV as they just don't have the picture quality of CRT based HDTV's and for the price of Plasma you should get better PQ. He definately seems to do his homework when doing a report and I am so far VERY pleased with the work he has done on it so far!
Yes, I had a similar conversation with him and gave him the lowdown on the issues with flat screens. I have had that same talk with a few other folks, too. Those flat screens sure do look good in the store, but I can't recommend them to people yet.

Quote:
Here's a direct link to the story online: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/110701_ss_hdtv.html
That's pretty neat! Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The report Thursday night was pretty favorable. Said that prices had come down 50% in the last year and would come down 50% in the next year. This was the first time I've heard anyone on a Chicago station mention the channel number of their digital channel.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
George,

Are you related at all to Tom and Mary Ann Platz? They live in Lake Bluff up by the Naval Training Station (in fact their back yard borders it)! I know them (especially Mary Ann) from my working in the Lions Club organizations!

I am VERY pleased with the first well informed report I have seen to date! It is nice that some reporters actually DO their homework and get it right!

·
Registered
619 Posts
DanTheMan,

What time did they stop by? We don't have ABC broadcasting digitally, so I'm not too sure what shows ABC broadcasts in High Def. I saw a quick shot of Bob Peterson (cancelled), but mostly what I saw on your set-up was The Phantom Menace. A little ironic, they couldn't have picked a time that better showcased their HD lineup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat
DanTheMan,

What time did they stop by? We don't have ABC broadcasting digitally, so I'm not too sure what shows ABC broadcasts in High Def. I saw a quick shot of Bob Peterson (cancelled), but mostly what I saw on your set-up was The Phantom Menace. A little ironic, they couldn't have picked a time that better showcased their HD lineup.
That video was shot a week ago Wednesday, on Halloween night, about 7:30 to 9pm. They wanted to do it on Tuesday, when the ABC lineup is better, but I had a schedule conflict. Yes, you saw the now defunct Bob Patterson at my house. The Phantom Menace footage was from the other guy's home. There might not have been any HD programming on at the time they were there, thus the DVD shots. At my house the only HD choices at that moment were Bob Patterson or Dish demo. CBS, HBO and SHO were all running SD programs. There also could have been some Drew Carey shots from my house, now that I think about it.

The hightlight of the evening was Ron Magers handing out candy to trick-or-treaters that came to my door. I don't think the kids knew who that guy in the "anchor man costume" was, but their mom's were probably wondering what was going on. I don't know if they got any video of that, but the crew and I were having a good laugh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.