AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this signal still active. I haven't been able to get it to come in at any of my jobsites or at my house. I live in Marshfield and get everything but 56.1. If anyone in this area is getting the signal can you please let me know what antenna you are using? I'm using a Sony HD200 for tuning btw.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I get it. Their signal is the lowest of all the Boston stations (only 30kW or so) whereas most of the others are around 700kW. At some point they're supposed to increase power to be in line with the other stations, but I'm not sure when that's actually going to happen.

I'm using the Silver Sensor, but I'm also only 7 miles from the towers.

How far is Marshfield from the Needham towers?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm in Southboro and I can't get it either. It never mattered until Saturday when the BC gane was on. I'll wait till they boost the signal before I tweek my antenna again...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marshfield is about 30 miles south of the Needham towers. Everything else comes in great, but I do have to compromise between 4 or 25. If I move it about 15 degrees more North 25 comes in great and 4 breaks up...back 15 degrees and 4 is great with 25 breaking up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in Newton - just a couple of miles from the Needham towers. With an indoor Silver Sensor antenna I can get every station with the exception of 56. So it seems until they increase the power it would be tough for nayone to get.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'm really suprised you're having trouble getting 56 (41) in Newton. There should be plenty of signal at that distance...

I may be wrong, but I think that WLVI's antenna is directional, and some people are getting much less than the 30kW output, which might help explain why it's so darn difficult to pull in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was surprised too - but once i was able to pull in all the stations with a decent signal (as a prior poster noted 4 and 25 were difficult to get together) I gave up trying to get 56. It seemed no matter how I turned the antenna, 56 wasn't coming in so I just maximized it for all the other channels so I would not have to become the mechanical rotor. I don't want to go back to my childhood days of sitting too close to the TV so I could move the rabbit ears and turn the channels.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I live in West Warwick RI and receive it with 2 of my 4 tuners, it's a tough signal to get, but it's there. I can even watch it during the day. I think that I am their furthest viewer because the station engineer was surprised that I was able to get it.

Jim

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a Zenith 420 with an indoor RCA amplifed antenna and hardly ever get 56..however, after some moving around I was able to find a spot for the antenna that was able to get the signal last night at about 50-60% strength from 9 pm to about 9:50, but then it dropped out. It did not show 56-1 on the 420 however as it was listed as it's actual UHF number of 41-1.

I'm in Randolph which is about 20-25 miles from the Needham towers.

Usually 7-1, 56-1 and 38-1 give me problems, but 7-1 & 38-1 have been coming in and 25-1 has not been.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I used to get WLVI fine several months ago (maybe longer ago) with a roof mounted Channel Master, but for the past few months it wont come in at all. It seems useless to bother sending a signal so weak that almost nobody can get it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm in SE NH and receive 56.1, although its the weakest signal of all the Boston digitals. Using a Channel-master 4221 antenna roof mounted in conjunction with a titan 7775 preamp. My receiver is a Zenith HDV420. Most of the time 56.1 is received as 41.1. Last week it exhibited some strange behavior; showed a signal that should have given a picture, but there was'nt any.

Herb

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I have some PSIP issues with WLVI; it will show up as either 56-1 or 41-1. Have you tried entering 41-1 directly on the remote? That sometimes brings it back.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've tried that trick you mentioned, sometimes it works; but most of the time it stays 41.1. The only other channel that occasionally gives psip problems is 7.1, it seems to be getting better lately.

Herb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI I wrote them and got this as a response.

Mr. McNally,

Our DTV application with the FCC specifies mechanical & electrical beam tilt for our antenna. The tilt is used to compensate for the Boston area terrain.

The FCC's standard formulas don't work for our situation or application, so it's on "hold" until a mutual compromise can be forged.

In the meantime, we're operation with a STA (Special Temporary Authority) at 1Kw TPO and about 30Kw ERP.

We'd also like the issue resolved quickly, but we're dealing with a government agency, so we have no way of knowing when we will receive our full power license.

-Gunnar Rieger

-Assistant Chief Engineer

-WLVI Boston / WEWB Albany

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.