AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been able to successfully play the Motown WM9 DVD and the BMW HD videos from the Do Amazing Things DVD on several PCs. But I have one PC which doesn't work with either DVD. This PC is running Win XP Pro, SP1 with all critical updates. I've tried the procedure in KB article 810422 to restore the DRM system to a clean state. Didn't work. I also tried removing and re-installing WMP 9. Didn't work.

Here's what finally worked: I put the Motown DVD in a shared DVD drive on a different PC on the network, connected to it from the problem PC, and ran the Motown shell (dvdrun.exe dvdplayer.hta). IT WORKED! It acquired the licenses & played the Motown video.

This technique did NOT work with the BMW HD videos, though. Still can't get those licensed videos to play on this machine at all, whether using local or network DVD drive. I think I saw in another post here that the BMW videos *require* the DVD inserted in a local drive, and will not work over the LAN - so this is not surprising.

So I'm thinking there's a hardware issue with the DVD drive on this problem PC, something screwing up the DRM process. It's an older Samsung SD-612 DVD-ROM drive, circa early 2001. I'll try swapping it for a newer drive tomorrow to see if that fixes it. Perhaps it's just a bad drive. Or perhaps the DRM system requires some drive feature not supported on older drives (like reading unique serial #s or something?). Ideas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.