AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not looking to do any encoding. I just want to know what is necessary to play dvds such as the new T2 that is coming out.

I have wm9

I have a fortissimo III 7.1 sound card on the way

I have a Harmon Kardon avs525 7.1 receiver on the way

PowerDVD EX (probably not needed)

Toshiba 16X DVD ROM

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
P4 2.4 is about min CPU I think (hard to tell until it gets here... Apparently it will be easier to play than the high bitrate VBR Step into liquid)...

A soundcard with 5.1 analogue outs will be needed...

WMP9 of course and a DVD drive...

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I can play the "Confidence" trailer as well as the snowboarding & Indy cars demo just fine with my P4 2GHz. Interestingly, it stutters badly in WMP9 but smooth in Sonic CP1.5.....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Karnis:

i've discussed the wmp9 = bad in the T2 thread, I believe it's due to WMP9 adding it's brightness/contrast filter which spams the system-bus due to the massive bandwidth used by HDTV data.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm a bit confused about what I'll need to playback the hidef T2 as well. I'm currently using Zoom player with the Sonic video filters and WinDVD audio filters and ffdshow. Can I use Zoom player to playback the T2 hidef material and if so what codec do I need installed to do it? I assume you play it in Media Mode? Sounds like using WMP9 isn't going to be an option due to performance issues so I want to make sure I've got an alternative..

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
zAndy12:

The big question right now is DRM (Digital Rights Management). If the T2 copy is somehow DRM protected, Zoom Player may not be able to properly decode it. This is a big question mark that won't be answered until the disc actually comes out and we get to experiment.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Blight - understood, but what filters would you recommend for WM9?

Currently I use Nvidia filters with FFdshow and Real Clock. The WM9's (which are smooth in WM9 player) don't play very well in ZP.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
dandrewk:

Huh? by "WM9" do you mean "Windows Media 9" a file format that's been released by Microsoft? Or "Windows Meida Player 9"... two different things.

WM9 is the microsoft format, which uses it's OWN codecs ...

I believe FFDShow can play back WM7, but not WM9.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
WM9, the new format, will load into ZP, but won't play very well. Not sure why this is, or if changing filters will help. I will try it without Ffdshow.

WM9 will play fine in the Windows Media Player 9. I was hoping for other player options.

I would love to play WM9 within ZP so I can play HD trailers before a "showing" by loading them into a file playlist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.