AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What players can I use with WM9 content? I read about others using zoom, but I can't get it to work in it, and the only thing that mentions WM9 with it is the WM9 encoding guide here, and the zoomplayer website which says it supports it. I get the following error for it: "Unable to create filters for "file"

Also, what is the lowest resource intensive player?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just bumping since about 15 hours after I posted it's already on the 3rd page.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did all of those steps including #7 (I reinstalled the codec even though i already have WMP9 instealled.) and I get the same error.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have yet to encounter a file WMP could play and ZP couldn't (since they both share the same underlying directshow infastructure). If you can post a URL to the file, I can give it a shot.

Oh... and ZP may not play DRM encoded content (media files locked only to play on your PC).

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The files I'm trying to play are: BD-720p.wmv, BD-1080P.wmv, a_foreign_affair.wmv, liquid_2.wmv, and confidence_trailer.wmv.

All the hi-def trailers/examples common around here.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have found that the only player that works is WMP. I can load WM9 in ZP and WinDVD, but they play back at poor frame rates.

Yes, I have DX9 and the latest drivers.

Besides the possibility that I have maxed my CPU (unlikely, as the files play great on WMP), I am clueless as to why this is.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I can play snowboarding, indy cars, the BMW shorts and the Confidence trailer in P-DVD and Sonic CP 1.5 with no problems.

ffdshow users, you should uncheck "raw video" before playing these clips. CPU gag city!

However, as Blight correctly states, you can only play DRM media in WMP9.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I've played liquid and confidence just fine here...

And karnis is right, having ffdshow in the mix is a show-stopper.

I'm working on code that will redifine how media is being played for the next version of ZP, I hope that it'll resolve a lot of these quirks we keep seeing with a lot of systems.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Is there any hope that DRM contant becomes accessable... Does WMP9 handle the DRM or Windows itself ???

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ok, I can now play WM9 in ZP with ffdshow off. But the audio gets very out of sync.

Progress! :)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
dandrewk:

might be reclock... or some other audio filter.

phat:

There are Windows Media DLLs, WMP has a license to play DRM content (some sort of decryption stub). While in theory, I may be able to aquire one for ZP ... I'm not sure what it will involve. Most likely signing some contract with microsoft and maybe shelling some cash.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blight
phat:

There are Windows Media DLLs, WMP has a license to play DRM content (some sort of decryption stub). While in theory, I may be able to acquire one for ZP ... I'm not sure what it will involve. Most likely signing some contract with microsoft and maybe shelling some cash.
Are you using the Windows Media Format SDK? If so, then yes, you simply need the stub lib to decrypt DRM content (which happens transparently in the SDK).

As to cost, there is none. You will have to sign an agreement for the DRM stub lib (we need to make sure your app doesn't just decrypt the content and put it in the clear :)). Many other media players support our DRM including Winamp, MusicMatch, Real player, etc. They all use the above SDK.

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
amirm:

Zoom Player is written in Delphi, it uses the WMF9 translations. But... while ZP is a player, it's flexible enough to be used on a near-graphedit level.

Now, It's not my intention to "put it in the clear", but lets face it, if someone wants to, they can always resample the video (if only by latching into the graph and grabbing the stream frame by frame).

I can't really control what people would do :(

Do you provide sample DRM encoded clips to download so authors can test their player compatibility? I'm sure people would like it if Zoom Player would play T2 right out of the box.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Sorry about my ignorance on the zoom player :). Given what you have said, you would need to disable the in-the-clear output when DRM content is being played. If this goes against the core strength of the player, then we are probably out of luck.

I agree given the popularity of your player, it would have been nice to get DRM in there. But we just can't allow the output capture this easily or we wouldn't get any commercial content.

As to your question regarding test clip, there are a lot on windowsmedia.com and we are also in the process of making sample clips avaialble for developer testing.

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
What do you mean by "in-the-clear" output. You basically say I can't let the user build a customized graph with WMV9 content? Or just DRM content? (is there a way to distinguish this?)

I'd be kind of sad to break the support, but I guess it can be done (I hate case-specific code branching) for the good of all the HDTV folk.

Can you point me to the stub-request/registration page?

Also, a bit unrelated... any chance of microsoft ever releasing it's CD-Audio filter (the one used by WMP), trying to use it in graphedit, or in any non-WMP application would freeze the application when trying to release COM. It's a shame that such a basic function can't be supported by DirectShow.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
The instructions are here .

You are fine with non-DRM content. The issue is only with DRM content (and yes, you can distinguish between the two). If you read the DRM agreement, you will see that you have to give assurance that you won't let out the DRM content in the clear.

Sorry, I don't understand the question about "CD-audio." What component are you referring to?

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The WMP CD Audio Filter, here's the GUID:

{CA9067FF-777D-4B65-AA5F-C0B27E3EC75D}

It might have been hidden in WMP9, hmmf.

Hmm, I've downloaded the SDK... but... Where do I get the stub from... it's not entirely clear. There are like 5 different license types. I'm trying to sign up for the "DRM Addendum for WM Format SDK 9S EULA". If you're anywhere involved in the inspection process, i'm writing it under "Zoom Player".

Edit:

looks like the license requires 2 signed original document. Any chance I can leave them at microsoft Israel? (they're pretty much 2km away)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.