AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I figured I would post this over here as well.

Is there a quality gain if you convert wma 128 or 196 to mp3 256 or 320?

My wife has tons of music she has collected but most is in the midrange wma settings. Is there any thing to be gained other than the mp3 compatibility by doing an "upconversion' to mp3(lame) 256 or 320? I was thinking of using Mediamonkey or Quintessential Player which both can do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
No, in fact there is nothing but quality lost. Both are lossy formats, converting lossy to lossy just means a second generation of loss is introduced. Better off leaving them as WMA or re-ripping from the source.

Chris

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/14183419

No, in fact there is nothing but quality lost. Both are lossy formats, converting lossy to lossy just means a second generation of loss is introduced. Better off leaving them as WMA or re-ripping from the source.

Chris

I agree.

Ed

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/14183419

Chris

Thanks for the info. 95% of it is stuff she has download so I can't re-rip.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You might be able to re-rip if the actual files are kept somewhere else on the computer. iTunes has file folders that keep the original file, independent of how you store it in iTunes.

Exception would be is if you pop a CD in a rip it directly as 128. But if it's a download that entered the computer at, say, 256, that file should remain unless deleted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schticker /forum/post/14206417

You might be able to re-rip if the actual files are kept somewhere else on the computer. iTunes has file folders that keep the original file, independent of how you store it in iTunes.

Exception would be is if you pop a CD in a rip it directly as 128. But if it's a download that entered the computer at, say, 256, that file should remain unless deleted.

No such luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts