AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel silly asking this because I should be able to find it.


I recently purchased a Zune 80 and am re-ripping all of my CD's to WMA lossless. When I try to stream it to the 360, it puts a red circle with a line through it and it won't play it.


I thought the 360 was capable of streaming WMA Lossless. Is it? if so, what could I be doing wrong? The files are not copy protected.


Thanks,

jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
I'm also having this issue with WMA Lossless. Only difference is I'm using a QNAP TS-101 NAS with Twonkymedia to stream my WMA files. The 360 shows the WMA Lossless files with a red circle. The 360 will play WMA variable bit rate files though. I would really like to use lossless. Any thoughts why lossless will not play?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 /forum/post/13617574


I rip all of my Cd's to WMA lossless and stream them to my 360 with no issues.

x2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 /forum/post/13617574


I rip all of my Cd's to WMA lossless and stream them to my 360 with no issues?


What version of media player do you all have?

I'm using Windows Media Player 11 and settings for ripping are to WMA Lossless. The files are then stored on a QNAP TS-101 NAS with Twonkymedia to stream my WMA files to my 360. Please don't tell me you must have WMP11 do the streaming. That would be sooo Microsoft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Simple answer.


In the case of the pc streaming via wmp or zune *software* , the pc is transcoding the wma lossless to something the xbox is working with.


For reasons I can't understand, the 360 just can't play these files natively, even from a usb-attached zune player. It's lunacy, and I hope it is fixed in the spring update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
>>Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.


heh, ironic sig for this thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I've never been able to stream WMA lossless. But I'm using Tversity and not Media Player or Zune as server software. I never could get my 360 to see my PC with MP or Zune software even though I have a 30MB Zune and play back audio on my PC with the Zune software. I guess Tversity does not transcode WMA Lossless?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
I never realized the 360 changes the native WMA lossless file during streaming. Does it downsample it from lossless or what? I sure wasted alot of time and space thinking it was working corectly all along
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Key to that link is Media Center EXTENDER - there is def. some under-the-covers stuff going on.


There is NO REASON that, at least, a usb hard-wired zune shouldn't be able to do this. Really any device should, as well, but I have a feeling there is something connected to DRM or the proprietary codec that is in play here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
Does it matter if the WMA lossless file has been stipped of the copy protection? I remove all of the DRm when ripping and under media player, it displays that they are NOT protected.


Just guessing here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox /forum/post/13618745


In the case of the pc streaming via wmp or zune *software* , the pc is transcoding the wma lossless to something the xbox is working with.

How do you know this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
It's just deduction, really. I'm unaware of any non-transcoding solution that works. Everything that does work, that I know of (eg TVersity, WMCE), is transcoding. Everything I've tried that doesn't transcode (i.e. Zune device, UPnP NAS) doesn't work.


Also not much of a stretch from MCE to WMP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I need a sanity check. I've been ripping my DVD-A's to WMA Pro to playback on my XBOX 360 and Pioneer WMA enabled receiver. I have my 360 connected via optical SPDIF and set to "Dolby Digital and WMA Pro", and I can play the WMA files from the dashboard. However, my receiver decodes the WMA streams as Dolby Digital. If I play the exact same files from my SPDIF connected PC, the receiver correctly decodes as "WMA Pro 9". Hmmmmph. Has anyone else successfully had their AVR decode WMA Pro from their XBOX360? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadMazter /forum/post/17216582


Sorry to revive an old thread, but I need a sanity check. I've been ripping my DVD-A's to WMA Pro to playback on my XBOX 360 and Pioneer WMA enabled receiver. I have my 360 connected via optical SPDIF and set to "Dolby Digital and WMA Pro", and I can play the WMA files from the dashboard. However, my receiver decodes the WMA streams as Dolby Digital. If I play the exact same files from my SPDIF connected PC, the receiver correctly decodes as "WMA Pro 9". Hmmmmph. Has anyone else successfully had their AVR decode WMA Pro from their XBOX360? Thanks for the help.

My Pioneer WMA enabled AVR always decodes as Dolby Digital even though I have the 360set to WMA Pro. It is connected via HDMI. This is a mystery I have yet to solve
.


Doing some searching I found this on the Team Xbox website from 06. Helps to explain what is happening with the WMA Pro codec.

"Originally Posted by XBOX.COM

•Dolby Digital with WMA Pro: inactive at this time, this setting will allow a connected Microsoft Windows Media Center PC running Media Center Extender to pass audio from WMA Pro–encoded media through the Xbox 360 console and on to a WMA Pro–compatible audio surround receiver. Selecting Dolby Digital with WMA Pro will keep the WMA Pro audio signal in its pure digital form all the way from your PC to your audio receiver for the best possible sound.

•Note: This feature has not yet been implemented in Media Center Extender."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I still haven't resolved the XBOX WMA Passthrough issue, but I do have another tidbit to share. I hooked up a Linksys DMA 2200 to my Pioneer AVR via SPDIF yesterday. The DMA succesfully passthroughed WMA Pro! I tested various combinations of CBR vs VBR vs Lossless, and tested stereo and multichannel. Not all combinations worked (Lossless stereo worked, but not multichannel), but it was encouraging to see my receiver decode my WMA Pro encoded DVD-A archives!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadMazter /forum/post/17301407


I still haven't resolved the XBOX WMA Passthrough issue, but I do have another tidbit to share. I hooked up a Linksys DMA 2200 to my Pioneer AVR via SPDIF yesterday. The DMA succesfully passthroughed WMA Pro! I tested various combinations of CBR vs VBR vs Lossless, and tested stereo and multichannel. Not all combinations worked (Lossless stereo worked, but not multichannel), but it was encouraging to see my receiver decode my WMA Pro encoded DVD-A archives!

ToadMazter,

You have two options for playing wma-pro audio:

1. Let the xbox decode the wma-pro file and send it to the receiver. Sends it in most popular format that receivers play; AC-3 (Dolby Digital).

2. Let the receiver decode the wma-pro file and play.


I believe in the settings-->sound portion of the xbox you can tell it what you want it to use.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top