AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was wondering if some codecs are better than others.

I am using Shark 007 codecs. Are there higher quality audio/video codecs I should use for optimal picture/sound?

Playback normally works just fine, however if I pause a video, even if it is just for 10 seconds, when I press play again, it is very slow. The video will play in slow motion for 5 or so seconds, while audio plays normally. Then the video will speed up to catch up. Sometimes this results in lip sync problems.

My HTPC is pretty high end:
Windows 7 x64 running on SSD.
The HDDs are WD Green drives (may be the problem)
The Video/GPU is a GTX 970
CPU is i7 3770

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
Hi all,
I was wondering if some codecs are better than others.

I am using Shark 007 codecs. Are there higher quality audio/video codecs I should use for optimal picture/sound?

Playback normally works just fine, however if I pause a video, even if it is just for 10 seconds, when I press play again, it is very slow. The video will play in slow motion for 5 or so seconds, while audio plays normally. Then the video will speed up to catch up. Sometimes this results in lip sync problems.

My HTPC is pretty high end:
Windows 7 x64 running on SSD.
The HDDs are WD Green drives (may be the problem)
The Video/GPU is a GTX 970
CPU is i7 3770

Any ideas?

Curious what prompted you to install 3rd party codes on WMC? What do you usually watch/listen to via WMC? Did the codecs make any noticeable improvement to WMC?

When they were first introduced I read the green drives were not suitable for HTPC's; that might no be true today.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious what prompted you to install 3rd party codes on WMC? What do you usually watch/listen to via WMC? Did the codecs make any noticeable improvement to WMC?

When they were first introduced I read the green drives were not suitable for HTPC's; that might no be true today.
I rip all my blu ray to MKV. This allows me to add subtitles, remove alternative audio tracks, etc w/o having to reencode the whole file.

So MKV + FLAC support in WMC...

I have a WD Black drive. I will move some movie files to that and see if I have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
I rip all my blu ray to MKV. This allows me to add subtitles, remove alternative audio tracks, etc w/o having to reencode the whole file.

So MKV + FLAC support in WMC...

I have a WD Black drive. I will move some movie files to that and see if I have the same problem.

OK, thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try MPC-HC for playback. Watch during the install, sourcforge sometimes tries to package in things you don't need.

Bill
I actually tried JRIVER + MPC-HC + MADVR.

There were some hickups with this. Lots of dropped frames, I disliked the JRIVER Theater Mode, and a few others I forgot about.

The great thing about WMC is the simplicity. Looks/sounds great... but just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

MADVR gets a lot of praise for PQ, however I am not upscaling. I believe the new JRIVER version has an EQ in it. Not sure if this is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Could just go KODI as well, since you aren't upscaling. Great interface and very easy to use, I run it on all of my systems.

Bill

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Does this happen with all file containers? How about codecs? What decoder is being used when this happens. You can determine that by looking down by the clock on the taskbar - there will be some combination of LAV (audio and/or video), ffdshow (audio and/or video) or if one or both are missing, Microsofts decoder

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I actually tried JRIVER + MPC-HC + MADVR.

There were some hickups with this. Lots of dropped frames, I disliked the JRIVER Theater Mode, and a few others I forgot about.

The great thing about WMC is the simplicity. Looks/sounds great... but just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

MADVR gets a lot of praise for PQ, however I am not upscaling. I believe the new JRIVER version has an EQ in it. Not sure if this is a good idea.
Dropped frames would usually mean the machine doesn't have enough horsepower to do Red October HQ in JRiver Media Center. Red October Standard would usually work.

Theater View can be customized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts