AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1522996/wmc-epg-missing-data#post_24494415


I haven't seen any mention about the Guide problem on this forum, but the WMC Guide has no data after Friday, 3-21-2014 at 7:00pm CDT.


There's a thread about this on The Green Button forum. Appears to be a nation wide problem with hopefully a fix coming soon.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7112

I had missing guide data on one of my two HTPC's. I fixed it by going to the task scheduler and looking to see if the WMC update service was running. I found it disabled. I re-enabled it, ran it and guide data populated right away.


I think this has something to do with some recent windows updates. I'm usually more dilligent with doing updates with my livingroom HTPC than the one in our family room. That would explain why one machine showed the problem and the other didn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock  /t/1522996/wmc-epg-missing-data#post_24494784


I had missing guide data on one of my two HTPC's. I fixed it by going to the task scheduler and looking to see if the WMC update service was running. I found it disabled. I re-enabled it, ran it and guide data populated right away.


I think this has something to do with some recent windows updates. I'm usually more dilligent with doing updates with my livingroom HTPC than the one in our family room. That would explain why one machine showed the problem and the other didn't.

How far out do you have Guide data then? Are you on Cable or OTA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock  /t/1522996/wmc-epg-missing-data#post_24494784


I had missing guide data on one of my two HTPC's. I fixed it by going to the task scheduler and looking to see if the WMC update service was running. I found it disabled. I re-enabled it, ran it and guide data populated right away.


I think this has something to do with some recent windows updates. I'm usually more dilligent with doing updates with my livingroom HTPC than the one in our family room. That would explain why one machine showed the problem and the other didn't.

Not the same thing. This is a Microsoft guide service problem that affects everyone which occured couple times a year in the past. The typical symptom is you are missing guide data at certain exact time for everyone regardless how you update it.


In the past, Microsoft was able to fix the problem before the guide ran out. Let's hope this time will be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I'm glad I found this as I was tearing out what little hair that's left. I even reset Win 8 this morning hoping it would magically fix it. What is the big deal with keeping the guide updated?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11  /t/1522996/wmc-epg-missing-data#post_24497351


What is the big deal with keeping the guide updated?

This is just my wild guess, but:


Zap 2 It as we know is the company that provides the listings. You can go to their website, punch in your zip, and the choices are the exact same ones that WMC gives you during set up. So the listings actually exist, I just looked at them for next week.


I have to image imagine they have some kind licensing agreement with Microsoft, and that MS doesn't just scrape their website. So they have to port the listing from the Zap2It server to the Microsoft one, and then from there to your pc (as part of the Windows Update service if I understand correctly). So there are two places MS could break the link. Possibly changes to Windows Update could throw a wrench in the whole thing. Maybe they actually point your WMC software at the Zap 2 It website and something there gets broken. I'm curious if Xbox One guide listings come through the same way from the same place.


Look how long the movie cover metadata was screwed up. That seems like a similarly simple process and it was down for a very long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33  /t/1522996/wmc-epg-missing-data#post_24497429


This is just my wild guess, but:


Zap 2 It as we know is the company that provides the listings. You can go to their website, punch in your zip, and the choices are the exact same ones that WMC gives you during set up. So the listings actually exist, I just looked at them for next week.


I have to image imagine they have some kind licensing agreement with Microsoft, and that MS doesn't just scrape their website. So they have to port the listing from the Zap2It server to the Microsoft one, and then from there to your pc (as part of the Windows Update service if I understand correctly). So there are two places MS could break the link. Possibly changes to Windows Update could throw a wrench in the whole thing. Maybe they actually point your WMC software at the Zap 2 It website and something there gets broken. I'm curious if Xbox One guide listings come through the same way from the same place.


Look how long the movie cover metadata was screwed up. That seems like a similarly simple process and it was down for a very long time.

Thanks. It just seems like MS doesn't give a crap about WMC. In the time I've used it I've had more problems than I can count. Its really a shame because when its functioning properly it works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,251 Posts
Not Windows Update, just Media Center update which is a scheduled task runs automatically every day or so. You can also manually force it to download from within WMC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
A number of years back I got some kind of malware in my PC that disabled Windows Update - it was totally gone from the Control Panel. It completely broke my ability to download new guide listings, either automatically or by forcing them. So that just led me to assume they were in some way related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Still no fix on any of the three computers with three different operators I have been able to contact for status.

Anyone know more about this issue at this point?


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
I now have guide data extending to 3/31/14. I read where the latest guide listings don't usually get posted until 7PM EST so I waited until just after and performed a manual download. The guide is still populating but it has extended beyond 3/21.


I'm on FIOS in Howard County, MD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Thanks, Cap'n.

Assuming no required action beyond possible manual download initiation, I will try again tomorrow.


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Still no update; guide data runs out Friday evening.


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,714 Posts
I don't use wmc "directly" but I noticed my guide data cutoff like everyone else.


Last night I launched WMC and was told "your guide data will run out soon" or something very similar. Then I pressed update now


I've got data to at least 3/30 (where I stopped turbo scrolling and checked)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have been concerned about this all week. I have checked every day and manual downloads didn't go past march 17 until this morning. Now all my computers are able to get listings until 3/31 so I am guessing some fix has been implemented. We will see if it is permanent if the guide updates automatically to a later date in a timely matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,879 Posts
Had a pop up on the HTPC and associated extenders earlier in the week that guide will run out in less than 3 days, with an option to download. Clicked on "download" and the guide is all updated.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top