AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
Today's the day. Just booted up and got the official notice that support for Win 7 has ended.
Not that it was that great to begin with. ;)
Michael

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Now how does one disable that announcement? I already switched to superior guide data and want it to go away.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Now how does one disable that announcement? I already switched to superior guide data and want it to go away.
Interesting. I have yet to see that announcement on any of my Win 7 HTPCs. I installed an app on all of them ages ago to prevent them from automatically updating to Windows 10 when Microsoft was pushing that to our PCs. I also turned off automatic updates for all of them years ago. I can only assume that one or both of these actions kept any such notifications from being downloaded and displayed on my HTPCs.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Me too. I haven't had an update in probably 3 years. I don't run WMC any longer so I suppose I could upgrade this machine to Win10 but I'll probably just retire it after I get everything sorted onto my new Ryzen 3700x.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just preformed manual update on both 7 WMC & 8.1 WMC. (Both use ServerWMC) headless boxes.

Win7 WMC has limited listings, just major networks up to Jan 30th.

Win8.1 WMC has full listings until Jan 29th

RaspberryPi's LibreELEC/Kodi are unaffected (FiOS/CableCards HDHR-Prime) EPG comes from FiOS. (PVR WMC/PVR HDHomerun Clients)

I'll decide in February if DVR with EPG service is needed, as apposed to setting manual recording times. There's always Kodi add-ons.......

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is my last weekend to switch to EPG123 and Schedules Direct.

Is there a place with instructions on how to get both of these working with WMC? I would like to get it done this weekend as I don't have time for this sort of stuff on weekdays. Also about how long should I expect the "conversion" to take?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
The instructions are very easy to follow.
Set up an account with SD (free for 7 days, so you can make sure it works for you).
Make a note of the channels you get now (you may need to enter some manually afterwards).
Follow the instructions:
http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/
I'm pretty sure it took me less than an hour and you have a full schedule right away.
Fear not.
Michael

·
Registered
561 Posts
The instructions are very easy to follow.
Set up an account with SD (free for 7 days, so you can make sure it works for you).
Make a note of the channels you get now (you may need to enter some manually afterwards).
Follow the instructions:
http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/
I'm pretty sure it took me less than an hour and you have a full schedule right away.
Fear not.
Michael

So far I subscribed to SD but haven't paid yet.

What do you mean by "make a note of channels you get now"? I think I get a few hundred channels, do you mean I should write down the number, name and code of every channel I get??

Also, once I install EPG123 will it render WMC unusable until fully setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
You watch a few HUNDRED channels? :eek:
Just the number is fine; everything will probably show up just fine, you just don't want to miss anything you might consider important. I had to add 6 and 12, for example. NBD.
The only thing affected in Media Center is the guide. Afterwards, when you check guide info, it even shows epg123 as the source. Continue to use WMC as before.
Michael

·
Registered
561 Posts
You watch a few HUNDRED channels? :eek:
Just the number is fine; everything will probably show up just fine, you just don't want to miss anything you might consider important. I had to add 6 and 12, for example. NBD.
The only thing affected in Media Center is the guide. Afterwards, when you check guide info, it even shows epg123 as the source. Continue to use WMC as before.
Michael

I only watch maybe 3-5 channels, but I probably get a few hundred. The instruction page seems to be for a clean install, what about someone already using WMC with Rovi that wants to switch to EPG123?

There's also mention of channel matching, will it not know which channel is which after the upgrade or is it in rare cases only?

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
Do a clean install. The whole idea is to get rid of Rovi.
You're making it more complicated that it is, as you can see from the previous posts.
Besides, don't really have a choice at this point. ;)
Michael

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do a clean install. The whole idea is to get rid of Rovi.
You're making it more complicated that it is, as you can see from the previous posts.
Besides, don't really have a choice at this point. ;)
Michael

If by clean install you mean a full format and re-install of Windows, that's not happening, I would probably rather stop watching TV through cable than do that. My last format was over 10 years ago and I don't intend to reformat for at least another year or two.

Even if it's possible to clean install only WMC, I don't want to have to reschedule every TV show that's scheduled, I was specifically told here that it can import your current recording schedule.

What do you mean I have no choice? Can I not just install EPG123 and have it import my current recordings?

Edit: I just read "If a Hauppauge Colossus HD PVR software tuner is installed, the software tuner configuration files located in C:\ProgramData\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService are deleted as well."

What does this mean? Does it not work if I use a Hauppage Colossus, which is what I use?

Also, the instructions are written as if we already know everything about EPG123 when I know nothing about it. For example it says I can install epg123.exe or hdhr2mxf.exe or epg123Client.exe but how am I supposed to know which of the three I need?

The instructions could be dramatically improved.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why can I not post on the green button forums? It says something like "Enable javascript (it is). Dangerous network (it isn't). Don't use a VPN (I don't)."

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
No, it's a clean install of epg123, not windows or media center.
It copies your scheduled recordings and imports them.
AFAIK, there are no other guide options; certainly nothing better.
I use an HDHomerun (not their software), so I can't help you with the Colossus.
I've never posted on green button, so I'll defer to others.
Michael

·
Registered
561 Posts
No, it's a clean install of epg123, not windows or media center.
It copies your scheduled recordings and imports them.
AFAIK, there are no other guide options; certainly nothing better.
I use an HDHomerun (not their software), so I can't help you with the Colossus.
I've never posted on green button, so I'll defer to others.
Michael

Ok, you had me worried. A moderator at the greenbutton resolved my posting issue.

I just posted without issue. Is this a new account? If so, could it be related to this:
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12436&p=136621#p136621

Are you posting from outside the US?

Edit: I noticed the video on the epg123 website says it will delete all scheduled recordings, how do you install it without losing all recordings as has been said is possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, you had me worried. A moderator at the greenbutton resolved my posting issue.

Edit: I noticed the video on the epg123 website says it will delete all scheduled recordings, how do you install it without losing all recordings as has been said is possible?

Thanks
I think it's saying you'll need to setup your scheduled recordings again. It's not deleting actual recorded TV of past shows.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think it's saying you'll need to setup your scheduled recordings again. It's not deleting actual recorded TV of past shows.

I know but that's what I don't want to have to redo. I was told this was possible.

Edit:

So far I subscribed to Schedules Direct and installed EPG123, when I open the client I see two lists of channels but it's not clear what these two lists are, how I connect it to my schedules direct account, and how I do all this while keeping my recording schedule?

I feel like I'm just a few steps away from being done but don't want to accidentally wipe my recording schedule.

Edit 2:

I just opened EPG123 Configuration and I see this is where I enter my SD account info. I'm still not sure what I need to do in these 2 different programs.

When I open the EPG123 Transfer tool, all the channels in the right pane are in red and the left pane is blank. Does this mean I can transfer my recordings or do I need to do something before they can be transferred?

81 - 100 of 132 Posts