AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
What do you think is going to happen the day you no longer receive EPG ?

It's really that difficult redoing recordings?

Good Luck...

I don't get what you mean by what will happen when I no longer get EPG, do you mean the end of Rovi in a few days, or are you talking about when EPG123/Schedules Direct will themselves end?

Yes it is that difficult because I have close to 100 different shows in the schedule, and most of them don't play year-round, so as every show restarts throughout the year I would have to remember to add them, which is unlikely to happen as I don't watch ads and just wouldn't know when which show restarts so I would start missing most of my shows until I somehow remember to add them when they restart. The way I know a show has restarted is when WMC starts recording it automatically.

In any case I was told there's a way to import the recording schedule which would save me an entire year of having to remember to reschedule shows manually, so yes it's really that difficult redoing the recordings, literally a year long job I'd really rather avoid doing.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It's easy. It took about an hour,

Follow the instructions - there's a PDF guide that was easier for me to follow. Unless you have multiple wmc installations, you will be doing the client and server on the same machine (the server fetches the guide data, the cline imports it into wmc).

You are doing a clean install of epg123, not windows. So just follow the instructions. Click step 1 which will clean up wmc and start fresh. It also makes a backup of your wmc configuration. Step 2 will take place in wmc and EPG will launch wmc automatically. The setup will be right beside it. You click that, then click "I do not agree" on the setup. This will download setup data, but by not agreeing it will reject it. This is ok. Go through with the rest of setup. When it comes to detecting channels, leave it - it must detect all 10,000 channels (this was not clear in the docs).

Don't worry,this will all fix itself in short order. After setup is done, close wmc, it's been prepped for epg123. The rest of the configuration is in the server app for now where you log into schedules direct, get the right lineup, and download the data. The data will be processed and all that. At this point, it will then ask about your season passes - it will try to line up as many as it can automatically. The ones that say "manual" are manual recordings and can't be fixed up. But the ones that are automatic can. Epg123 will try to line up the ones it can but there will be a few it can't. You highlight the few it can't, and manually search for it. If it's a show that's cancelled, you can't recreate the season pass. It works fairly well - the ones it can't fix up usually are shows that have similar titles or are named slightly differently. The poor quality of rovi data is partially the cause - show names get misspelled or abbreviated wrongly so an exact title match that epg123 uses will fail. The manual match lets you find the right show.

And after that you let it process and go. The client app will start up and you'll see the list of channels and the list of schedule channels, and they will be matched up. I use match by channel numbers as I'm on cable and it corrects for the changes in station names.

It's a simple process,really. Epg123 has been around for years and the setup process has been simplified greatly and it's quite painless.

If you're really unsure, make a system backup before you start so you can easily revert. And pick a day when you have fewer recordings and at least a couple of hours before a recording is to start, so you have plenty of time to set it up before potentially losing the recording,

It's easy. And there's lots of documentation.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's easy. It took about an hour

I just did it, all I have left to do is go uncheck the channels I don't get in WMC so it doesn't record on channels I don't have (I realize I could have done this during EPG123 setup I believe but I like having the guide data for other channels as I may decide to add them if I see anything interesting).

Somehow it seems like it transferred my recording schedule automatically as they are all still there after setting up EPG123, I thought it would require additional steps.

Thanks everyone for the help as this was a bit stressful for me as this is also my work PC (use LCD monitor to work and switch to 106" front projection to use as an HTPC) and I didn't want anything to go wrong.

Edit: I just realized only the most popular TV shows were transferred to the new recording schedule, or about 28 out of over 50, I knew it was too good to be true but at least most transferred flawlessly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was wondering, will I get some sort of reminder in a year before I need to pay to renew or will I just wake up one day and notice none of my shows are recording anymore if I don't remember before it runs out?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was wondering, will I get some sort of reminder in a year before I need to pay to renew or will I just wake up one day and notice none of my shows are recording anymore if I don't remember before it runs out?
This past fall we received three notices that our SD subscription was expiring, the first one arriving 30 days before the expiration date. Then when we renewed, they sent an acknowledgment of that. So you'll be well covered.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This past fall we received three notices that our SD subscription was expiring, the first one arriving 30 days before the expiration date. Then when we renewed, they sent an acknowledgment of that. So you'll be well covered.

By email I assume?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
FWIW, every subscription I have gets its renewal date stuck in my phone's calendar. I can easily miss an e-mail or have it wind up in my spam folder, but those nags from the phone get my attention.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
The pop-up message telling me to switch to a different guide data provider is driving me crazy. :mad::mad::mad:
I'm getting it just about every time I push a button on my remote.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The pop-up message telling me to switch to a different guide data provider is driving me crazy. :mad::mad::mad:
With all of the advance warning you received about Windows 7 EOL and the multitude of posts about epg123, you would think some people would have gotten the message about making the switch. :rolleyes: There are no nag messages with epg123. Bite the bullet and pony up the 25 bucks. You'll thank me in the end.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Same here. I feel your pain. First the insult of dropping the guide, now MS has to add injury by reminding us every second. Bad behavior and business practice.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
With all of the advance warning you received about Windows 7 EOL and the multitude of posts about epg123, you would think some people would have gotten the message about making the switch. :rolleyes: There are no nag messages with epg123. Bite the bullet and pony up the 25 bucks. You'll thank me in the end.
I switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct years ago. I'm still getting the popup.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Where is this checkbox?!?!!?

About the only thing I see now and again is a guide error that crashes wmc - it's quite reproducible by scrolling the guide to the same spot, and can be avoided if you skip over the part of the guide that causes the crash. I'm guessing it's some movie that has no program information.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts