AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the initial set up for my htpc (windows 7 home premium 64 bit).

I tried to follow the stickied guide about configuring windows media center. I'm running into a number of issues.

Where I'm at right now is this: I have Shark007Pack installed (both the regular and required 64 bit add-on). WMC will play .mkv files, but if they have multiple audio streams or subtitles, there is no way to choose between them (and they all just get played at the same time).

When I install FFDShow (the sticky says to use Media Control to control audio streams / subtitles, which needs ffdshow...that is a whole other issue in and of itself), I stop getting the multiple audio streams (just the english stream plays...still get subtitles though) but then WMC stops being able to play the .mkv files (it stills opens them, but it just hangs there not playing anything)

I'm at my whits end here (getting to this point required doing system restores to get rid of haali splitter that somehow got install along with about 10 other issues along the way).

All I want to do is be able to play .mkvs in WMC and be able to turn off subtitles and choose (or have it chosen by default) the english audio stream.

Can anyone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
You do realize Haali is needed for MKV, right? Didn't know about Media Control, though, so thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna try it on the (spare) HTPC.

Quick suggestion, create a base Windows 7 install, then install both Haali and FFDShow, then Media Control. Either that or Win7+Shark007+Media Control. Don't install both FFDShow and Shark007 - Shark007 already includes both FFDShow and Haali.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haali, from my understanding, doesn't work on 64 bit machines. When I installed haali WMC stopped being able to open .mkv files (was getting "Windows Media Center cannot open that file). Maybe it was coincidence, but that error has gone away since removing haali.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19525722

haali, from my understanding, doesn't work on 64 bit machines.

The latest version does. I forgot when 64-bit support was included in Haali but that was quite a while ago. Since you have Shark007 already installed, I think part of the problem may be you're installing multiple copies of the same thing which is probably causing an issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the videos are now working again (clean reinstall of everything), but I am again having the issue of being unable to change the subtitles or the audio stream.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Also, be sure to do a complete installation of Shark...not a gimped installation as suggested in the guide. That way, if you need to enable a feature for your particular setup you can...if you never installed it in the first place you'd be reinstalling everything and starting over.

Personally I've found the Gabeset splitter to be much better at handling subtitles then Haali. Assuming you did a complete install of Shark you can switch between the two on the MKV tab.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have that option checked off.

I don't know where to go from here. Media Control is not working properly, and hasn't each time I've tried to use it. For whatever reason I cannot select or change anything about the audio streams or the subtitles.

sigh...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If the default audio is the english track then that is what should be played if you are using shark and WMC. You can use mkvmerge to see what is default for each file. But I ran into this recently trying to play some japanese movies which had the wrong languages that I speak by default. What I have found is there isnt really any way to get these to play from within WMC. I spent like 3 hours trying different programs. If you use mkvmerge to change the defaults of the files they wont play at all. I just dont think its possible to really change audio tracks or subtitles from within WMC. If there is a solution I would love to see it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I said screw it and decided to use the MPC option instead. Works like a charm, and I can use the ffdshow upscaling guide. Would be nice to be able to be more integrated in WMC, but this will do.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19526579

I said screw it and decided to use the MPC option instead. Works like a charm, and I can use the ffdshow upscaling guide. Would be nice to be able to be more integrated in WMC, but this will do.

I just use the MPC-HC/Haali combo, and everything just works with full HA. I've totally steered away from codec packs and ffdshow. Too many horror stories. If it plays back everything I need it to, then that's fine with me.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19526071

Yeah I have that option checked off.

I don't know where to go from here. Media Control is not working properly, and hasn't each time I've tried to use it. For whatever reason I cannot select or change anything about the audio streams or the subtitles.

sigh...

Well I've never got Media Control to work any time I've tried it so don't feel bad, it's not just you. And I have Win 7 32 bit even. It's just a very buggy program. Works for some but not others.

For me with subtitles all I care about is forced subtitles and for that I actually use external subtitle files and configure FFDshow to do my subtitles and look for external subs. Works great in any player including WMC. Thus I have subtitles on at all times and forced show up as needed.

Then again I don't actually need the full subtitles for anything so I don't rip 'em so that makes things easier for me.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19526579

Maybe you don't know but if you use Media Browser as your front end for your ripped movies and TV shows you can configure it to launch MPC as the player for your files thus it can still all be "integrated" into WMC.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87
Maybe you don't know but if you use Media Browser as your front end for your ripped movies and TV shows you can configure it to launch MPC as the player for your files thus it can still all be "integrated" into WMC.
Oh I know, that's how I have it configured. It's still not fully integrated though...plus I find MPC to be pretty ugly, especially in comparison to WMC.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19528541

I find MPC to be pretty ugly, especially in comparison to WMC.

it looks to me like you have codec conflicts.

If you want to use Media Center, I suggest you uninstall all codec related installations starting with the Shark007 software, then uninstall Haali, FFDshow, AC3Filter or anything else you have installed. Reboot.

re-install the Shark007 software and at the bottom of the Settings Application,

choose to use the SUGGESTED settings.

I also suggest you review, and follow THIS POST for proper Audio setup

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did that (i.e. uninstall everything and start over). Like I said, I got the video component working. However, having multiple audio streams playing at the same time with no ability to change which stream is playing (something that is not built into 7MC for whatever stupid reason) makes it a moot point.

If someone outside 1995 would design a GUI theme for MPC-HC I'd be happy as a pig in..well you know

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19529008

However, having multiple audio streams playing at the same time with no ability to change which stream is playing

Although unstated, this is probably an AVI file and on the AVI TAB you need select Haali's splitter. The file will play with one track and you can select an alternate track from haali's icon in the systray.

Just so you know, MPC-HC uses internal codecs and not the codecs installed by my software. I have a Tools page where I re-distribute MPC-HC that is pre-configured to use the installed codecs instead of the internal decoders. To find the Tools page, type shark007 into a google searchbox.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts