AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i have a problem - currently with MediaPortal but it will advance into WMC as well. As example i have some BD rips witch have good profile and can be accelerated by DXVA. Its ok - ill select decoder for it and its goes pretty well.Next rip (anime) is not conform with DXVA so i have to switch do CoreAVC. Is there some possibility to swith decoders on the fly? At best - even without restarting of WMC? Even better if i can make some registry fix and hang it on my Remote ( i'm using Harmony + EventGhost).

Does anyone have an Idea?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't know this for sure, but WMC probably loads registry settings into RAM when opened to help make it more responsive and to protect the registry. So when you make a registry change, this is why WMC won't use it until it is restarted. It can protect the registry due to if WMC starts making a registry change and then crashes, it could corrupt the registry. But if it works on a loaded registry in the RAM and then 'saves' any changes made to the original registry upon exit, that helps protect it.

Not sure what your MB is and what capability it has to upgrade the CPU, but you may find the best solution is to just upgrade the CPU so it can handle those non-DXVA videos without CoreAVC or to always use CoreAVC and drop DXVA.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
jrwalte is right. In order to reflect a registry change, 7MC must be restarted.

The attached zip file includes two files: CoreAVC.reg and MS.reg. Merge each to the registry (you should be able to use Harmony to do so) if you want to use each of CoreAVC and Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder. (Read this post to see how it works.)

AVCDecoders.zip 2.271484375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

if everything goes only about "Preferred" maybe i can tinker up some solution where bizzare files have an extension *.mkv1 or *.ms2ts_v2 and splitter will pick correct decoder to play this file. May be format of header should be modified accordingly - duno at this point of time.

CoreAVC is a good thing but some times ( i dont know why) i have quality issues with it - and this material is almost flawless on DXVA unit. I use it on both sides 780G+hd3450 and on NVIdia side (gtx 260)

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Perhaps MPC HomeCinema is the only player that auto-detects the DXVA-compliance of the H.264 file (in the MKV, M2TS or whatever container) and use the internal H.264 decoder (MPC Video Decoder) for a DXVA-compliant file and another decoder (e.g. CoreAVC) for a non DXVA-complaint file. You can use MPC HomeCinema as the default player of MP, and 7MC (with an appropriate plugin).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapilesos /forum/post/17052694

Hello,

i have a problem - currently with MediaPortal but it will advance into WMC as well. As example i have some BD rips witch have good profile and can be accelerated by DXVA. Its ok - ill select decoder for it and its goes pretty well.Next rip (anime) is not conform with DXVA so i have to switch do CoreAVC. Is there some possibility to swith decoders on the fly? At best - even without restarting of WMC? Even better if i can make some registry fix and hang it on my Remote ( i'm using Harmony + EventGhost).

Does anyone have an Idea?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

The Win7codecs will allow you to switch between using the dxva codec, coreavc, ffdshow or the windows supplied h264 decoder with a single click. Before installing this comprehensive package you need remove all other codec related installations such as haali and any other codecs you manually installed. CoreAVC is the only codec you do not need to remove before installing this package. Once installed look on the H264 TAB of the Settings Application for these solutions. There are other codec switching options on the SWAP TAB that may interest you also. MediaCenter reads the codec to use on startup therefore changing the codec also requires restarting MC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the hint. I used Shark's codecs with aligned configuration proggy - its very good ( actually very single package that configured in my Win 7 x64 properly).But it not let you ( AFAIK of course ) switch codedecs for same mediafile on the fly ( just with restarting oand rewinding of mediafile ).

I'm understanding , that my English will not earn single reward beside "Most broken on the world" and therefore ill try to state my Idea again.

Main target : to find software / reconfigure mediacenter so, that i can switch (with remote + EventGhost) a decoder for h.264. CoreAVC is ok - but it have some issues and takes more horsepower then usual DXVA. On the other side CoreAVC plays alomost everything and therefore cover approximately 10% more h.264 content in comparition to DXVA.As I saw, changing Registry will be notable after restarting of MediaCenter and ist a bad solution ( still one that works
)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17059578

Perhaps MPC HomeCinema is the only player that auto-detects the DXVA-compliance of the H.264 file (in the MKV, M2TS or whatever container) and use the internal H.264 decoder (MPC Video Decoder) for a DXVA-compliant file and another decoder (e.g. CoreAVC) for a non DXVA-complaint file. You can use MPC HomeCinema as the default player of MP, and 7MC (with an appropriate plugin).

Could you please link this plugin or atleast help me. where i can find him? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
not ideal and probably time consuming but could you create different profiles in windows?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts