AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use WMC instead of WinTv, because the interface is much better. The problem is that WinTv picks up more channels than WMC for me for some reason, including one major network in HD (Fox) that won't even show up in WMC.

WinTv picks up Fox and about 10 more analog stations too.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airban /forum/post/20822592

I want to use WMC instead of WinTv, because the interface is much better. The problem is that WinTv picks up more channels than WMC for me for some reason, including one major network in HD (Fox) that won't even show up in WMC.

WinTv picks up Fox and about 10 more analog stations too.

Can anyone help?

Have you tried manually adding them in WMC?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray
Have you tried manually adding them in WMC?
Yes, that doesn't work. For example, our Fox is supposed to be at 66.1, and the Silicon Dust website says it really broadcasts at 22.3. I've tried manually adding both and it won't work for either.

It's incredibly frustrating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
So when you add channel 66.1 You don't put in physical channel after you tell what you want to call it in the guide. You have to tell it what the physical channel is. Fro example WMC will never detect 55.6, so I always have to add it. I add 55.6 then specify it is locate at 42. The guide channel is the virtual channel and sub-channel. Windows needs that but it must know the physical channel and the physical does not include a sub-channel number.

For example HD Homerun Setup says 55.6 is 42.8 but there is nowhere to enter the .8 anyway - so you just enter 42

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray
So when you add channel 66.1 You don't put in physical channel after you tell what you want to call it in the guide. You have to tell it what the physical channel is. Fro example WMC will never detect 55.6, so I always have to add it. I add 55.6 then specify it is locate at 42. The guide channel is the virtual channel and sub-channel. Windows needs that but it must know the physical channel and the physical does not include a sub-channel number.

For example HD Homerun Setup says 55.6 is 42.8 but there is nowhere to enter the .8 anyway - so you just enter 42
OK, so I'm trying to add 66.1. I see how you "add", but how do you specify where it's located?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Settings> Guide> Add Missing Channel>Add DTV Channel

66 in the firs box, 1 in the second >Next

thene enter the actual physical channel in the assigned frequency box > Next

then you name it for what you want it called in the guide and save.. this is from memory.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have to do this every time with PBS and CBS stations. With my Comcast basic, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX are all mapped to the broadcast channel so I don't need to do anything else for those. For CBS and PBS, I have to scope out the raw channel in the add missing channel option for WMC, manually set the listings and then enable the channel. Make sure you get the HD listings, and not the standard def listing.

At least you haven't hit the wrath of the stupid Comcast CS phone monkeys. The ones that insist that ALL digital channels, whether clearQAM or not requires their box. Even though I list out what channels I get with the channel lineup from their website, they still insist I need a box.

Ugh, makes me angry just thinking about it. My cats can do a better job @ customer service, 'cause at least they don't give such egregious, false information.

The real problem was that Comcast dropped 2 channels below 62 after the digital conversion was completed, and they never removed my filter trap which blocked signal on channels 24-72.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20825232

Settings> Guide> Add Missing Channel>Add DTV Channel

66 in the firs box, 1 in the second >Next

thene enter the actual physical channel in the assigned frequency box > Next

then you name it for what you want it called in the guide and save.. this is from memory.

After I add 66.1 and hit Next it says "Enter the modulation type for digital TV Channel 66.1. This type is used to tune to the appropriate modulation for the digital TV channel"

Then below that it says: "Modulation Type" and it only lets me choose QAM 64 or QAM 256? It won't let me enter anything.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airban /forum/post/20826229

After I add 66.1 and hit Next it says "Enter the modulation type for digital TV Channel 66.1. This type is used to tune to the appropriate modulation for the digital TV channel"

Then below that it says: "Modulation Type" and it only lets me choose QAM 64 or QAM 256? It won't let me enter anything.

You are using cable TV not OTA...... jeez!

Good luck that is just plain messy. Don't worry you will get it going at some point and they will move it. If you want digital cable television get a cable tuner, Ceton or HD Prime.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot
Here's a tutorial, doesn't show how to add missing channels but that parts been explained:
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/win7mcqamsetup.html

The Silicon Dust website tells you if it's QAM64 or 256 right next to the channel numbers.
http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/
I add the missing channels and they still don't show up.

And when I plug in my zip code at Silicon it doesn't say QAM64 or 256 anywhere next to any channel. They just say 8vsp under "Type".

Can anyone please help? Why is WinTV doing such a good job of picking up every channel but WMC stinks?

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Do you have the coax cable plugged into the OTA connector on the card or the cable connector on the card? I seem to remember some of these cards have two.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airban
I add the missing channels and they still don't show up.

And when I plug in my zip code at Silicon it doesn't say QAM64 or 256 anywhere next to any channel. They just say 8vsp under "Type".

Can anyone please help? Why is WinTV doing such a good job of picking up every channel but WMC stinks?
Ok, at the top of the screen where it shows you the channels, change the pulldown menu to your cable provider.

I have no idea why WMC is so complicated in this respect, any modern tv with a qam tuner have been able to auto-program with channel names since day 1.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot
...I have no idea why WMC is so complicated in this respect, any modern tv with a qam tuner have been able to auto-program with channel names since day 1.
My WMC did the auto set up just fine with Comcast and Fios. But I moved and set it up on TW and it couldn't find any channels. Thanks for the tutorial you posted above, it helped me set it up and it's fine now

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/20830177

Do you have the coax cable plugged into the OTA connector on the card or the cable connector on the card? I seem to remember some of these cards have two.

I'm plugged into the correct connector.

To clarify: I'm getting MOST of the channels, I'm just not getting one particular broadcast channel (Fox HD) and I'm also missing about 10 analog channels that WinTv has no problem grabbing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/20830229

Ok, at the top of the screen where it shows you the channels, change the pulldown menu to your cable provider.

I have no idea why WMC is so complicated in this respect, any modern tv with a qam tuner have been able to auto-program with channel names since day 1.

I'm not sure which screen you are talking about with a pulldown menu.

I've set things up exactly like the tutorial above, but as I've said, not all are coming in like they are on WinTv. WinTv's interface is terrible, so I'd like to get this figured out.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airban /forum/post/20831240

I'm not sure which screen you are talking about with a pulldown menu.

I've set things up exactly like the tutorial above, but as I've said, not all are coming in like they are on WinTv. WinTv's interface is terrible, so I'd like to get this figured out.

The pulldown menu is in the upper left of the page so you can choose OTA or your available providers(TMC, Cox, Comcast, FiOS, etc.). It's was showing 8VSP because you were on the list of OTA channels for your zip, it will likely show QAM256 for your local cable providers.

I didn't notice if your signal is from OTA or cable, but WMC looks for identifying data for any channels not just for signals as it uses that to link it to guide data(KCSB-DT, USA, etc.) if WMC isn't reporting finding the channels it's because the local stations or your provider isn't brodcasting the identifying data for those channels.

The last few times I did channel scans for my clearQAM tuner 7MC found 0 because FiOS had stopped sending identifying data for some reason, though legally they're required to due to the number of channels they offer, prior to that it only found a little over 30, yet my HDhomerun software will find around 100. The hdhomerun has a file you can run that will sync all the channels it finds into 7MC maybe your WinTV software has something similar.

BTW there's another way to add the missing channels, though WMC might show it didn't find the channels what it really means is it didn't assign those channels to the guide data, you goto edit channels menu and it will list all the freq that WMC found signals on, you can then use the Silcondust site to get the identifying data and channel number for each freq then enable that freq and link it to the guide data.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK - I was able to add the missing HD broadcast channel finally! I had not used "grid view" on the silicon dust site to get the actual channel location.

BUT, I still have the problem of the missing analog channels. They are 10 channels that I watch regularly too - any idea how to get those to show like WinTv does?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never encountered missing analog channels, but I also have to add qam channels manually all the time thanks to comcast's tireless efforts to do things badly.

Make sure you check carefully against the list on silicon dust's website - very often channels show up as locked in WMC that are not. You can use the auto select feature to find these although it is slow. This always occurs for CNBC and HIST for me. Perhaps the very excellent guide mentioned previously should be edited to make that clear?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts