AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate SP1 on the machine in my home theater. We had a power outage yesterday morning and now I get an error every time I try to open Windows Media Center. The error states "Program has encountered a user-defined breakpoint". It gives me the option to close the program, search online and close the program or debug the program. None of the options has WMC then starting. I pulled up Event Viewer and it showed an exception at "ehshell.exe" with the module "mcstore.ni.dll" each time I tried to start WMC.

I ran sfc scan and it showed W32UIRES.dll as a corrupt file it couldn't fix and the file was corrupt in the copy as well. I ran the sfc several more times to see if it would fix but it wouldn't. I replaced W32UIRES.dll with a dll from another working Windows 7 installation. I also tried to replace ehshell.exe with one from the other computer but it would not let me as the other computer was a 64 bit version. I searched but could not locate mcstore.ni.dll to attempt to replace it.

I did a lot of websurfing on the various issues but got nowhere. User-defined breakpoints seem to be problems that occur for programmers, so I think it is probably just the OS' best guess as to why WMC won't work. I know ehshell is the main application for Windows Media Center and that mcstore.ni.dll involves guide updates or some such. I just can't come up with a solution that will work. My guess is that the computer was in the middle of an action when the power outage hit and it caused file corruption. I'm open to any and all help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you tried reinstalling WMC?? There is nothing worse then low WAF (wife acceptance factor) on your HTPC. Get yourself a good UPS, and a practiced recovery plan. There is nothing I hate more then to hear my wife say, "My mother was right about your HTPC foolery".

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs  /t/1524020/wmc-wont-start-after-power-outage#post_24521609

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate SP1 on the machine in my home theater. We had a power outage yesterday morning and now I get an error every time I try to open Windows Media Center. The error states "Program has encountered a user-defined breakpoint". It gives me the option to close the program, search online and close the program or debug the program. None of the options has WMC then starting. I pulled up Event Viewer and it showed an exception at "ehshell.exe" with the module "mcstore.ni.dll" each time I tried to start WMC.

I ran sfc scan and it showed W32UIRES.dll as a corrupt file it couldn't fix and the file was corrupt in the copy as well. I ran the sfc several more times to see if it would fix but it wouldn't. I replaced W32UIRES.dll with a dll from another working Windows 7 installation. I also tried to replace ehshell.exe with one from the other computer but it would not let me as the other computer was a 64 bit version. I searched but could not locate mcstore.ni.dll to attempt to replace it.

I did a lot of websurfing on the various issues but got nowhere. User-defined breakpoints seem to be problems that occur for programmers, so I think it is probably just the OS' best guess as to why WMC won't work. I know ehshell is the main application for Windows Media Center and that mcstore.ni.dll involves guide updates or some such. I just can't come up with a solution that will work. My guess is that the computer was in the middle of an action when the power outage hit and it caused file corruption. I'm open to any and all help.

Use the windows restore function.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
When you fix it maybe you should consider buying a UPS.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass  /t/1524020/wmc-wont-start-after-power-outage#post_24522183

Use the windows restore function.

I already tried System Restore if that's what you mean. I tried the last restore point and it said "System Restore did not complete because the files were not available". Then I got " A Catastrophic Failure has caused System Restore not to respond." After that all my previous restore points were hosed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1524020/wmc-wont-start-after-power-outage#post_24522401

When you fix it maybe you should consider buying a UPS.

I have a UPS for my server just not each of the clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1524020/wmc-wont-start-after-power-outage#post_24522066

Have you tried reinstalling WMC?? There is nothing worse then low WAF (wife acceptance factor) on your HTPC. Get yourself a good UPS, and a practiced recovery plan. There is nothing I hate more then to hear my wife say, "My mother was right about your HTPC foolery".

LOL! Oddly enough it was WAF that hosed the UPS at every client idea- "You're gonna leave that huge box in my den? I have good surge protectors on all my equipment but not UPS'.Still I guess I'd better find a way to do it and to hide it. Luckily, the equipment closet in the home theater hides the equipment. I will say that the power outage (which happened while we were asleep) lasted long enough to drain the power from the UPS on the server.

Still a recovery plan is overdue and needed. I don't know why I didn't image the Home Theatre machine when I last installed it. If I kept recent images on all my machines it would really help.

BTW, don't know if this helps, but I was able to successfully play the files from the server using Windows Media Player so that doesn't appear to be part of the disconnect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts