AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I just ordered a MSI K8T Neo motherboard for the new athlon 64 computer I'm building.

Unfortunately I didn't do my research before I ordered it, and found out the only way to get 5.1 (over spdif) sound out of wmp 9 pro audio, is through an nforce 3 motherboard. Is this true? Or is there an add on soundcard that will do this also?

Or do I just need to ebay the MSI one and get a Nforce one?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
S/PDIF carries 2 channel audio (PCM) or 'data' usually in the form of lossy compressed DD/DTS. If your source data is already DD/DTS, then you merely 'pass it through', if your source data is not DD/DTS, then it needs to be encoded into DD/DTS. AFAIK, the only choice for lossy encoding to DD is with a suitable nforce type motherboard.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Does your amplifier have 5.1 pre-amp inputs?

If so, the cleanest way is to get a good multichannel audio card (eg: M-Audio Delta 410, or Revo 7.1), and feed the 6 analog outputs through to your amp.

The only way to send the WMP9 sound over the SP-DIF output at the moment is by converting it to AC3, otherwise your amp wouldn't know what to do with the unknown digital stream. I think this is what the nforce boards do (but I don't have one to confirm this).

However, I'd hate to think what impact this has on the sound quality? Probably much the same type of quality loss you get with video, when you re-compress a previously compressed MPEG stream.

Greg

·
Registered
174 Posts
The NForce 2 motherboard is the only chipset that can output 5.1 digital for all sources, and only some of them do it. The boards that can transcode the sound into AC3 have something called soundstorm for the audio. There are no add on cards currently that can do this, and no solutions for Intel or 64 bit Athlon. The nForce 2 is only for 32 bit Athlon XP. You either need to use analog out or stereo digital out.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Nope , only the nforce 2 has the required DD 5.1 chip .

--- WM9 Audio can be passed via the SPDIF but it will only be Stereo [ no DD 5.1 or DTS ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Well you can get 5.1 if you use analog output [ just not SPDIF - unless you have a WM9 Audio decoder at the other end ] .

--- Not sure why M$ has done it this way other than to make more money by selling WM9 decoding rights to receiver manufacturers :( .

---- Jason

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
even though it's not particularily a viable solution anymore, for the sake of completeness, it should be noted that the Nforce1 also did the real-time DD encoding. so it's not just the nforce2 that does it :)

as far as DD encoding on a nforce3... that part was chopped out, but will be released later as a seperate chip. hopefully this will open up the option of a soundstorm add-in card.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So as an add-in card, you mean as a sound card, or a card that will only work on N-force3 boards?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
i mean the APU is being built as a second chip option for mobo creators to put on their nforce3 boards. but having the APU as a second chip, hopefully nvidia will realize the potential for moving it to PCI card uses for anyone to use, regardless of mobo chipset.

·
Registered
673 Posts
They have got to get this tech out there, both in a PCI card and licsense to stand alone DVD players. The Bravo D3 WM9 capable DVD player currently only has 5.1 through analog cables!!! They better get the DD encoding tech from nvidia/dolby...

I mentioned this to Bravos rep over on the DVD forum and he said they looked into it but he didn't realize even the xbox was doing it and it would be revisited.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiman
You mean was cant get 5.1 audio from Coral reef in 1080p ?

Why on earth are they doing this ?
To use standard DD or DTS 5.1 output, someone would have to pay for the licencing fees; presumably since the majority of users viewing WMP9 content are still doing so on their PCs, the powers that be decided that might not be cost effective. I'm sure there will be a standardized digital output solution at some point (like when there is a WMP9 compatible set-top DVD player) but in the meantime I think they're doing it the cheapest, easiest way possible. The WMAPro audio is also arguably superior to standard DD or DTS, but that argument goes out the window when you push it through the DACs on most sound cards.

·
Registered
207 Posts
FYI - C-Media have announced a software-based real-time dolby digital encoder

Press release here (in .pdf format)

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/news/2003CE...ss release.pdf

Also if you set Windows up to output to 2 speakers, WMP will matrix the surround channels in so that they can be retreived via the DPL or (preferably) DPLII decoder in your receiver. So you can get 5.1 channels, just not 5.1 discreet channels.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
If license fees were the problem, then how do you explain the DD soundtracks on Disc 1 (standard DVD format) of both T2 and Coral Reef releases? Dolby Digital or DTS licenses are not an issue for the studios producing these titles.

The real issue is at this point no tool exists to author WM9-HD video with non-WMA soundtracks. The only tool so far is the MS encoder, which apparently doesn't support AC-3 or DTS. See this post from AmirM from Microsoft. Once better tools are available, I think it would be a no-brainer for the studios to include a DD 5.1 track for compatibilty (compatibilty = bigger audience).

Should they have waited to release T2 or Coral Reef until DD soundtracks were possible? No way....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.