AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which sound card will be the best choice for upcoming "HD DVD" quality Microsoft movies like T2? Since these versions will not pass DD or DTS via spdif output, which I currently use with TheaterTek and Sonic Cineplayer, what is the best choice if your receiver will accept 6 channel input?

I have the "Circuit City demo dvd" which will pass the signal in stereo thru SPDIF, using Pro Logic is "ok" but would like to use the wmp pro 5.1 decoding and output to my Denon with 5.1 analog connection.

I am aware of the Audigy 2, Revolution, Hercules XP, but, no flames please, I would like a sound card with proven drivers and minimal fuss. I swore 2 years ago I would never buy another Sound Blaster product, I have tried the Hercules XP and had issues, and the Revolution seems to be a disappointment based on threads on this forum.

I am sure we are all anxious to try Microsofts approach, without having to make expensive upgrades to make it work. By the way my Athlon 1700 with 764mb ddr ram with Radeon 9500 pro has had zero issues with the Microsoft demo disk! Probably will upgrade the cpu to 2400 now that they are below $100, but don't want to waste money on another sound card unless it will provide other uses such as DVD-AUDIO, etc.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Revo still has the best bass/speaker mgt out of any sound card. If you're inputting to a receiver without bass mgt on discreet inputs (most don't have this), it's a must.

Still, I wish they'ld put out driver updates quicker.

Anyone have any experience with the Prodigy 7.1? Supposedly AudioTrak offers some sort of bass mgt, although it's probably very basic.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I use a Maudio Delta 410. No issue, no stutter.

Took a while to Maudio to get it right, and judging by the number of threads headed "problems with my Revo", I have a feeling that the card might not be ready for prime time.

I can do everything you can do with the Revo, apart from CSII effect to the incoming audio (external input) and CSII effects to audio from TV card.

Still the Revo would be a good choice if the drivers were perfect.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
There are bugs in the driver, but none I've found involve the speaker/bass mgt features.

The 410 has the same speaker mgt features?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Has anyone tried using the Circle Surround II mode of their Revo to play back the 2-channel 'Pro Logic' audio from any of the 5.1 WMA Pro encoded clips? It's my understanding from the many Revo threads that CS II does a great job of re-encoding stereo/Pro-Logic sources to multi-channel output, but via analog only (since most receivers can't decode CS-II natively either).

What we really need is for receiver manufacturers to adopt a native 6 (or 8?) channel PCM stream format so that we could send the full digital data by SPDIF and the receiver could then route it appropriately. That's my pipe dream....

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Delta 410 worth the money? Will it support wma-pro 5.1 audio ?

Really looking for a system upgrade that is ready for the future? Would love to have dvd-audio on the PC but appears the Audigy 2 is the only solution? Anyone completely happy with the Audigy 2? Anyone try the Audigy 2 and GIVE UP ON IT?

Seems there are a lot of sound cards out there but no clear favorites for the HTPC crowd. Continued feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the 410 in my system, and other than creating my own, have had "0" problems. Spdif out to my receiver for most movies and audio, and recently hooked up the analog outs to get the WMA 5.1 off of the Motown DVD. Sound was superb.

Mark

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Mark, if only M-Audio would support dvd-audio which they promised with the Revo, one can only hope. I will be giving the 410 serious consideration unless others xcan convince me of a different solution.!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
the 410 will never do dvd-a because of its dacs (24/96) and I'm not even sure the revo will one day !!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.