AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm a JR MediaCenter 10 user now, but I'm interested in experimenting with WMP10. I looked around throughout this forum, but I didn't see any mention of whether WMP10 supports bit-perfect playback of WAV or WMA Lossless files (ASIO or Kernal Streaming). Does it? I know that wasn't part of WMP9's features. I have 250 Gig of WMA Lossless files, and I don't want Windows turning my 44k music into 48k.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Windows does not turn your lossless 44.1Khz music into 48Khz music. Your soundcard might do that to you even with JRMC.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that the Windows Mixer DOES mix everything to 48k so that Windows sounds will happen along with the music, and this has nothing to do with the sound card. I know some Soundblaster boards upconvert no matter what you do. With my M-Audio AP2496, if I use ASIO, it shows the input as 44.1k, but if I use Wave, it shows 48k input.

There are dozens of threads in this forum explaining the need to use ASIO or Kernal Streaming if you want bit-perfect playback in Windows.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a couple of M-audio cards and when I use waveout the 44.1Khz from CDs stays 44.1Khz on playback. Not bit perfect but 44.1Khz.

I don't what player you use that would do what you describe. What are your setting in the M-audio control panel? Kmixer by itself does not upsample undiscriminatorily to 48Khz.

For bit perfect you need kernel streaming or ASIO as you have already discovered.

Cheers

Thomas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.