AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the worst time trying to get DD5.1 audio from WMV-HD on my Biostar 200T (SFF).

Using optical out I can easily get DD and DTS through PowerDVD and through the Ati 9800 AIW player, but when it comes to Windows Media Player, it's only 2 channel.

Everything is setup correctly in the onboard audio properties: SPDIF out, and 6 speaker system. WMP settings in the DVD properties are set for SPDIF out and in the multimedia properties, the speaker settings are set at 5.1 surround sound.

I can get 5.1 using my computer speakers. The output from the 3.5mm jacks are perfectly fine. But using optical out it's cut down to 2 channel.

Last night, after fussing with the audio for a while, I gave up and watched of Coral Reef Adventure and parts of Terminator2 on my projector in glorious high definition...but with Pro Logic sound!

I've come to a conclusion to get some 3.5mm y cables and plug them directly into my recieve's 5.1 inputs, but I'd rather use the optical. Not only for sound, but for convenience.

Any suggestions getting the optical working?

·
Registered
845 Posts
T2 and Coral Reef are encoded using Windows Media Audio 9. Since your receiver doesn't know what to do with this audio, the Windows Media Player downsamples your audio into two channels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only way for you IS to use 6-channel direct output (analog w/3.5mm mini) from your sound card to your receiver....Unless you go out and buy a $5000 receiver that does wma decoding. ;)

I personally have both hooked up, kinda.....I'm using 4 sets of 3.5mm mini. When I play WM9 HD, I remove the digital mini to coax, and plug in the analog center/sub to 6-channel, the other 2 mini's r already plugged in to the front/surround spkrs. Then change the speaker settings in control panel to 5.1 and sound card to output analog.

It's kind of a hassle, but already limited to the lowest amt of steps possible until WMA receivers go main stream. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay okay...so it's not officially "Dolby Digital® 5.1" ;)

The point is, I couldn't get it working, but now I understand it. I went out and bought some stereo 3.5mm > RCA conectors. That'll do it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You can get it to work if you have an NFORCE based mainboard. It converts the audio to 5.1 DD on the fly (Using the same technique the xbox does) It works perfectly and you can just run the digital output straight into your amp and enjoy full 5.1 goodness :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.