AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a decent system

k8n-e deluxe mobo

Athlon 64 3500+

1 GB Ram

NVIDIA 6600GT Video Card.

Sony CRT HDTV connected over DVI 1920x1080


I have all the latest bios patch etc. including the WMVHD purevideo patch.

Running 1080P WMVHD titles (either from DVD or HDD) using WMP 10 skips the video (frames dropped) every 30 -60 seconds.

Running 1080P WMVHD titles (either from DVD or HDD) usingTheaterTek skips the audio (the audio stutters).

Running 720P WMVHD titles (either from DVD or HDD) usingTheaterTek or WMP10 stutters the video horribly.

The MS and Futuremark tests report green (see attached).

All this time the CPU usage never reaches more than 75-80%.

No other process running which is worth mentioning.

I can run DVDs with TT and FFDSHOW resize 1920x1080 just fine.


Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Have you tried exclusive renderless? I use Zoom Player so I can't comment on TT.

Nvidia states you need to run overlay w/ WMP.(high quality unchecked)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Have you tried exclusive renderless? I use Zoom Player so I can't comment on TT.

Nvidia states you need to run overlay w/ WMP.(high quality unchecked)
OK, it works ONLY IF I uncheck VMR (Not Only HQ and OverLay). It runs smooth but the PQ is not good and the colors seem all over the place. What is going on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
nVidia cards seem to have speed/pipeline issues with vmr9, unless you use an application that has fullscreen exclusive renderless mode. Even users of the new 7800 cards are seeing this. READ all the nVidia threads.


Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn
nVidia cards seem to have speed/pipeline issues with vmr9, unless you use an application that has fullscreen exclusive renderless mode. Even users of the new 7800 cards are seeing this. READ all the nVidia threads.


Hammer
Is there any way to enable "fullscreen exclusive renderless mode" in WMP10?


When I run from TT 2 (with fullscreen exclusive renderless mode enabled), I have the audio stuttering. Why?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smodak
All this time the CPU usage never reaches more than 75-80%.
That CPU% usage looks too high. On my 6600Gt (Prescott 3.2, 1080i output) it rarely went above 60% (with ZP and TT). The Alexander 1080p clip played 15%-30%, with some minor stuttering and audio out of sync. But others (avg. 30%) played nice and smooth. It really looks as if WMV was not HW-accelerated at all. Maybe you should check that the WMP10 patch is correctly applied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CPU usage is typically 60% to 70% with spikes to 80-85%. I re-applied both the patches couple of times. What else should I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
I too get stutters using WMP10, even with all the patches. But not when I use ZP with nV decoders + HDTV Pump + FSER. My advice is to dump WMP.


Hammer


EDIT: Sorry, nV decoders have nothing to do with WMVHD playback. But the theory still holds water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smodak
Is there any way to enable "fullscreen exclusive renderless mode" in WMP10?


When I run from TT 2 (with fullscreen exclusive renderless mode enabled), I have the audio stuttering. Why?
OK. It looks like you're making some progress-maybe. What is your sound card? Are you using digital or analog output? Have you tried to update its drivers?

WMP10 uses VMR7 or Overlay to answer your first question...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
OK. It looks like you're making some progress-maybe. What is your sound card? Are you using digital or analog output? Have you tried to update its drivers?

WMP10 uses VMR7 or Overlay to answer your first question...
I am not making progress :) . If you see my first post I mentioned Running 1080P WMVHD titles (either from DVD or HDD) usingTheaterTek skips the audio (the audio stutters).

I have the onboard sound connected via S/PDIF to Onkyo receiver.

It alsmost feels like, to sync the video with the sound, WMP10 is skipping the video frames and TT2 is skipping the audio frames (if there is something like that). :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cer
Do you have AGP Fastwrites enabled? If not, that may be (at least partially) the cause of your problems.


You may be able to enable fastwrites in your BIOS or via a tool such as RivaTuner.
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
My bios shows only two options for AGP fast writes 1)Auto 2) Disabled.

I set it to Auto. How do I know whether 6600Gt is using fast write? Is there any way to find out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman
Dont use FFDshow with TT and WMV-HD titles.


You sure you have all the patches for WMP-10 ?
I have the patches and I am not using FFDShow for WMVHD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, there is anothet thing that may be worth mentioning..When I uncheck the Video Mixing Renderer in the performance tab of WMP10, the video and audio plays smooth but the PQ i(and color) s bad. Also, with VMR unchecked in WMP10, MCE 2005 does not play the WMV disks anymore. I get a blank screen after the initial copyright message and I have to go into the task manager and kill the HTC (or HTA?) process to close out of MCE. I think MCE needs VMR to function. But with VMR enabled I get those horrible stutters. Any ideas?


I downloaded zoom player WMVHD pro. There is so much settings that I cannot figure out WHAT (and WHERE) exactly I need to set to run WMVHD in VMR full screen exclusive mode using NVIDIA codecs. I also need to run AC3filter to output DD 5.1 through SPDIF. Could somebody please point out the steps? Considering I just downloaded and installed ZP, what exact settings I need to modify?

Thanks


Also, is there any way to start the WMVHD Video in TheaterTek 2 automatically when I insert the disk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
Actually, nVidia codecs have nothing to do with WMV playback.


ZP WMV Pro setup:

1. Set all the WMP10 settings to use VMR (these settings effect the whole system).

2. ZP > Options/Setup > Filter Control > Settings Tab > towards the bottom "Use Exclusive Fullscreen Mode...."

3. ZP > Options/Setup > Filter Control > Windows Media Tab > DRM Video Renderers > VMR9 Renderless


I think that's it, but if anyone knows more feel free to jump in.

Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn
Actually, nVidia codecs have nothing to do with WMV playback.


ZP WMV Pro setup:

1. Set all the WMP10 settings to use VMR (these settings effect the whole system).

2. ZP > Options/Setup > Filter Control > Settings Tab > towards the bottom "Use Exclusive Fullscreen Mode...."

3. ZP > Options/Setup > Filter Control > Windows Media Tab > DRM Video Renderers > VMR9 Renderless


I think that's it, but if anyone knows more feel free to jump in.

Hammer
Just to rule out Audio Card I ordered the Audio Advantage Micro

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...udioadvantage/


I will let you know whether it works out. One question though, do I have to disable the onboard audio and uninstall it's drivers befre installing this new usb card or software?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
I find that I need to increase the SP/DIF frequency to 96kHz with ZP and an Audigy 2 or else I get synch issues on DVD playback. If you run Powerstip, you might look into changing the latencies. Sound cards tend to take too high of a value as default.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
Smodak-

Were you able to get ZP to play wmv FSER ?


Another thought... I can produce stuttering on my system by tweaking the scan rate/refresh rate/front porch/etc just a tiny bit. Then tweak it back to get rid of the stutter. Have you tried little tiny tweaks on your custom rez? These can often have an effect on smooth playback.


Hammer
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top