AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone reported on the local HD newsgroup that they received WNET DT(channel 61) earlier today. I tried and got nothing this evening. Does anyone know if this is true? The last station I would have expected to be back up would have been WNET! They had expressed no immediate plans.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
from where??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ken,

The last trickle of info I heard about our DT locals was hope that nbc/abc/wpix/pbs would be available off Empire by September.

If the rumour that you heard is true, maybe they are starting to test the gear. I'll try 61 tonight.

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just received an update from the guy that did the original post. He has again received the signal (I don't know where he's located). He claims it is a relatively low powered transmitter (2.66 kw) at an altitude of about 350' somewhere around 33-34 st. in Manhattan. Curiously near the ESB. He said he was getting frequent picture breakups. He's getting his info from the FCC CDBS Database.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The ESB is a lot taller than 350', but I've got my fingers crossed that this means they're testing the setup there. I'm so tired of reading about the great HD that's available OTA, except not in NYC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's true! I'm in Hoboken, NJ and I'm getting channel 61-2 at 88 strength on a DTC-100 with a roof antenna aimed toward the ESB.

This is great news for OTA HD in NY!

Jeff

·
Registered
221 Posts
At 10:55 the PBS demo loop is on. No sound right now. The big ol' "thirteen-HD" logo is in the upper right hand corner.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
At 10:45 PM last night I tried getting 61 on my Dish 6000 and couldn't get a peep on the signal meter. Not even a spike and I'm in the middle of Queens with no tall buildings around me. Much good a 100 watt transmitter is going to do us! :(

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
That ~33rd St. address, if accurate, would put the transmitter within 7 blocks of me. Just tried 61 and didn't get a whisper of a signal either. I used a 'test' screen mode for my HDTV that gives about 5 indicators of signals, including a spectrum-analyzer-like display showing multipath signals. Needless to say, I'll try again. -- John

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
100 watts?? Is that true? My college radio station put out more than that. I thought 100 watt stations were basically used as translator/repeater stations out in the sticks. Is this some sort of test setup?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
From central jersey I am getting a weak signal on 61. No picture but shows up as stregnth of 12 on my Tosh STB OTA meter

Have not played with antenna and the weather is really bad tonight.

baimo

·
Registered
253 Posts
...sounds like a megatower flame thrower... think I'll get one for the backyard.

I guess this is an encouraging fresh start, but I wonder what they're trying to accomplish with this pea shooter.

·
Registered
800 Posts
At the "Digital HDTV" seminar at the Home Entertainment Expo at the NY Hilton a couple weeks ago, Joe Flaherty mentioned (very much in passing) that WNET-DT had started broadcasting again with a low-power signal from a location around 34th St.

I didn't bother checking until a few days ago because I didn't expect much. But to my surprise it's kinda-sorta receivable here in Scotch Plains.

It's somewhat flaky and breaks up a bit but at the moment I'm reading a signal strength of 46 on the DTC-100.

It's a two-channel multicast with the PBS national HD feed in 1080i on 61-2 and the analog channel 13 content in 480i on 61-3.

I'm not likely to watch it in preference to the uncompromised HD satellite feed (at least not until there's some original content there--which I wouldn't expect to see for some time). But I'm glad to see another NYC digital broadcaster back on the air.

Given the almost total lack of posts about this, there must be hardly anyone who can receive it at its current level. It puzzles me that I can receive it at all. (When WNYE-DT first went on the air last year, I was able to receive it here as well, at about the same level that I'm now seeing WNET-DT.)

·
Registered
976 Posts
hrmmm... guess it is time for me to hookup my hipix to an antenna again to see if i can find any PBS HD goodies. I'll report what i find.

(i'm in tribeca)

·
Registered
976 Posts
well, i'm getting a ~50 sig. this is VERY good news. Bob Watson told me thrusday that PBS would go live soon after they get thier low powered transmitter up (which them do seem to have running.)

...ABC will be up and running "soon" after PBS.

-This is for TWCHD...

woo woo.. 12 days till i get my 3100HD unit :)

maybe i can watch Alias re-runs in HD XD

·
Registered
976 Posts
with some more playing around i'm getting 55-60

that is some perdy HD loop they got running.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.