AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Effective immediately, WNYE-DT 24 in NYC will resume HD carriage of portions of the PBS national HD schedule, as well as other special HD events. WNYE's educational multicast will continue at all other times. The PBS HD LOOP will not be carried.

PBS HD Programming will resume this week with the Evolution series, Monday thru Thursday at 6:00pm - 8:00pm. For more information on the PBS HD schedule, see www.pbs.org/digitaltv/dtvsched.htm .

Questions may be addressed to [email protected] .

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mike

Which portions will be broadcast? Only the events listed on the schedule? Because the Evolution series is not listed on the schedule.

thanks

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks. Too bad you couldn't work something out with Time Warner Cable here to relay your HDTV signals (replacing, temporarily, the destroyed PBS HDTV source). I'm unable to detect any of your signal from mid-town Manhattan (2nd Ave.) from inside a building. While there are few locally with HDTV cable converters at the moment, potential HDTV cable subscribers won't sign up unless there are enough channels available. It'd be a tiny counter-terrorism victory. -- John

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_m
WNYE's educational multicast will continue at all other times.
I am only seeing program material on 24-1.

24-2 to 24-6 are blank. This is on a DCT-100 with "off air guides" disabled. Anyone else getting more than one program?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I am very disappointed with this decision. It seems to me that they're only going to switch to HD mode for some programs and not for others. This makes absolutely no sense to me. There is no use for the multicast during evening hours. Yesterday they showed "Evolution" from 6 to 8 PM, and then went to a simulcast of the analog channel! For what? We are no longer going to see "Smart Travels" and other miscellaneous programs that the satellite feed shows at random times. This really sucks!

They should have the SD multicast on from 6 AM to 6 PM, and the untouched HD satellite feed from 6 PM to 6 AM. They would have the SD multicast during the day when the schools are in session, and have the HD programming in the evenings for the general public. C'mon Mike!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
oh well, i suppose the amazing pbs loop with its wonderful pictures had to end sometime.

at least now we know.

for me it is not a great loss since I'm once again watching DVD's and enjoying them.

in fact i've packed away my RS double bowtie, since I don't need it to receive WCBS-DT.

adios WNYE-DT, it was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I seem to be getting WNYE-DT on 25.1, not 24.1. Or is my HD-100 mistaken?

Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what's wrong and where, but I punch in 24.1 and get nothing. 25.1 has WNYE on my box. Odd.

Dave

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Lots of threads here about picking up this very-low-power, low-elevation-antenna station. If you haven't received it before it's no doubt the low signal strength and your location. Believe you generally need an outside antenna. -- John

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have not noticed any HD on WNYE-DT for about a month. Has anyone else seen it?

Is WNYE-DT even on the air now? I have not been able to get any indication of a signal this weekend.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
No, they've been off the air for a few days. Prior to that they seemed to have given up on the HD passthrough, instead favoring the multicast that nobody watches. Mike had said that they were going to pass the HD feed only when there were new shows from PBS digital, but they hadn't even been doing that. I gave up on them a while back. :mad:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
ladies and gentlemen let's please let them ride off into the sunset OK.

I for one won't take their BS anymore.

WNYE-DT piss off.

Regards,

your biggest fan until you became igonorant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.