Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.....

Anybody got any news on what is happening with Wolf Cinema. They were the talk of the town a few months back but there is no new information online.

So does anyone know anything about product specs / brochures / Show appearances etc?

Cheers,

Iampaddy

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Some insightful and persistent questioning seemed to scare them away.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/15477123

Some insightful and persistent questioning seemed to scare them away.

All insightful questions were answered that were submitted by those not looking for the excitement of a very spirited discussion.

I don't have time to be on here all day, I need to make projectors.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burns /forum/post/15551202

All insightful questions were answered that were submitted by those not looking for the excitement of a very spirited discussion.

I hope you didn't perceive people to be gratuitously, or unnecessarily, pugilistic.

Perhaps you could give me the less spirited version of your CR numbers. I was going to say "dispirited version", but didn't wish to appear preemptively presumptuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burns /forum/post/15551202

I don’t have time to be on here all day, I need to make projectors.

Im happy to hear that.

·
Registered
729 Posts
We have posted on off and have it published on our spec sheet.

so here it is.... lifted right from the spec sheet 2,500- 50,000:1 full on/off ***

*** Depending on lamp power setting, installed iris and iris setting.

Once again it is a very flexible system with multiple options for contrast depending on light path set up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Jim,

All the Wolf Cinema offerings are Xenon based PJs right? I vaguely remember that there were 4 offerings starting from 70K going up to 175K right?

·
Registered
24,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burns /forum/post/15553506

so here it is.... lifted right from the spec sheet 2,500- 50,000:1 full on/off ***

Once again it is a very flexible system with multiple options for contrast depending on light path set up.

Wow, 50,000:1 !

Art

·
Registered
729 Posts
I could get an infinite reading because my iris would allow me to choke off enough light so with the black reading the LS100 could not read it. Divide any number by zero and you come up with infinity. Not a real world theater application.

The beauty of the system is it allowed you to tune the projector to the screen and the room and allow for the best possible in room on screen contrast ratio.

·
Registered
729 Posts
$60k to $143K all Xenon

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I spent a couple of hours with it over the course of the show.

The colors were spot on. And the gamma looks closer to film than I have ever seen. Why is that Jim? Is there really a film projector back there that you have magically figured out how to quiet down?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Xenon projector and quiet??? Hu

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Well, it was quieter than any FILM projector I have ever heard... Almost digital, I'd say... If it weren't for the PQ...

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burns /forum/post/15553506

I think CR numbers without corresponding lumen output does not tell the story, I know 2500 CR is with the Iris fully open, but at 50K:1 CR is there any light put out at all?

·
Registered
24,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG /forum/post/15578837

I think CR numbers without corresponding lumen output does not tell the story, I know 2500 CR is with the Iris fully open, but at 50K:1 CR is there any light put out at all?

I agree there isn't a lot of reason to believe that 50,000:1 is at a usable light level or even desirable based on iris side effects.

Art

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
This is the place where detailed information is demanded. The problem is if you say A you are expected to tell the whole story.

On contrast and lumen

With the well known Infocus IN8x series the contrast is defined in two ways.

IN83

5000:1 or 15000:1

The 5000:1 is the static contrast with the manual iris closed down for maximum contrast and less lumen.

15000:1 compares white with the iris open with black when the iris is closed which is not fair but the number is correct.

Speculation on Wolf

Lets say they can achieve a static contrast of 2500-7500:1

Lets say the lumen is three times as high with the iris open.

Then we could measure 22500:1 sequential contrast.

At last with a lamp that can be varied in brightness with a factor a little over two we could measure about 50000:1 sequential from the projector.

As many have often stated the single measure of static contrast is not telling much of the story. Since DCI projectors can spec. 2000:1 publically I think others should have no fear in stating a probable static contrast of 6k:1 or close to that number.

The image at this price point will sell or not sell the projector.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Quite Frankly the Wolf was designed as a replacement for the Runco after the minor implosion at Runco since Sam left. Neither company worries about the forum too much, these type of customers are the most unloyal, change on a dime, and unfortunately easily influenced by specifications and measurements, not to mention spending avertion. Wolf relies on a custom installer base for which they believe they have good product for with superior value added. For Wolf's clientele is about Value and service, not specs and price.

To blindly pursue a contrast ratio of 20k whilst the image is nowhere near as solid and cinematic as in a 5k-1 dci goes to show you the level of obsessive insanity reached at the forum, I have an affinity for fellow forum members but I do not approve of their ridiculously biased LOW STANDARDS.

I am sure there is an audience out there that likes the Wolf, in what way are they any lesser wrong than you guys are? It's like the blind criticizing the blind.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.