AVS Forum banner

361 - 379 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
1/2" ply would require re-folding and you wouldn't be able to get away with not bracing it. Four drivers would require starting completely from scratch.
Then 3/4's it is. Four drivers could be used, there would be a divider between sides. Literally like building two and gluing them together side by side. A bit over kill as you mentioned, but (4) SDX per cabinet would be quite a system.....Oh, and weigh a ton

Just alot of dreaming before i get a new house....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Digging this back up from the grave.

I am interested in this setup, but the only driver list that is still available (which may be an updated version) is the SDX, and it's now over $200 per driver.

Any thoughts on current drivers?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Digging this back up from the grave.

I am interested in this setup, but the only driver list that is still available (which may be an updated version) is the SDX, and it's now over $200 per driver.

Any thoughts on current drivers?
The list in the original post is the best I can do - I haven't looked for alternate drivers in years due to seemingly no interest. As long as you can get close to the T/S parameters of the SDX, you should be able to get something that works, as long as it has the excursion to match. The design is excursion limited, so anything you lose there takes SPL off the top.

I'd say the SDX is still worth trying to get for the design, because it's the driver originally intended for it. As long as you can get them, that is.

I'd pay $200+ a pair all over again!
I'm still rocking this setup and it's rock solid!
Heh - I've got designs for some real monsters but never went further than the modeling stage. The two I've got now already have house breaking capability... don't need more than that!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If I get some free time, I will plug in the hornresp parameters and model a few drivers to see what I come up with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking to build one of these as it looks like a monster! (I only have room for one!) I know it's been a few years but if anyone who has built one is still lurking then I'd love some input.
Shame most of the images are no longer visible!
Unfortunately SDX10 would be too expensive to get to the UK so I'll have to use an alternative driver. I have a couple of Wavecore SW259WA02 10" drivers which seem to model quite well although ultimately excursion limited (my Hornsrep knowledge is minimal)
Failing that I can get SEAS XM004-04 which gets much louder but models with a more pronounced 'saddle' between 20 and 30Hz. How real is that dip in response as I can no longer see any of the posted measurements?
Also, did you use any damping material in these? In any images I can find there doesn't appear to be any..
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)
Use the SEAS driver - that thing has 28mm of Xmech and two of them will hit almost 119dB at one meter, 16Hz, in half space in this design. The original L26ROY was on my list of approved alternates that actually modeled better than the SDX using the supplied SEAS parameters but I couldn't afford to buy them to test to see how accurate their parameters were. This models slightly worse, but not so much it would keep me from using it.

Given the availability of the SDX drivers these days, I'd probably just go ahead with the XM004-04 if I were doing the whole process over today. Wouldn't bother with the Wavecore drivers. They model ok-ish, but I'm thinking the SEAS drivers would eat them alive.

EQ is essential for tapped horns - get rid of the dips and peaks that way, cross it over at 80Hz, highpass at 48dB/oct at around 14.5Hz. Give it 500W and call it a day.

No damping material.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Probably due to the age of this thread, most of the pictures are down. Any chance of getting new pictures posted, or point me to which post still has active pictures?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Not possible, I'm afraid. Those were only on Photobucket, who decided to hold them hostage a while back. The original post has the cutlist, Hornresp file, and diagram with the build measurements - that'll have to do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply, TBH I didn't need too much persuading to go with the SEAS drivers as they modelled a good 7dB louder than the Wavecores :)
EQ is no problem as I have DSP in my amp. Wood is on order and I should be making sawdust in the next couple of weeks. Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Heh - that thing's going to be a beast. Those SEAS drivers do model a bit better than the SDX 10 does to my eyes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Made some progress over the past few days. I'm used to big speakers but this thing is huge!!
I decided to add some bracing but didn't go OTT with it.. IMG_20200904_153243.jpg IMG_20200904_163435.jpg

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Looking good! Yeah, these things are massive. I dread the day I have to drag mine out of the corner for any reason, or get the other enormous tapped horn off the top of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Big thanks to Oklahoma Wolf and all who put time into this design. This thing is awesome!
Yes it's big but in room it actually takes up less space than any of my previous subs using larger drivers.
The output on this is insane to the lowest frequencies and makes music and movies an entirely different experience.
I'm only using it to fill in the lowest octave below 30Hz where my mains roll off but it's perfectly usable up to 100Hz with a little EQ. What I really like is it needs no help to get below 20Hz. Measured response outdoors (and in room) actually shows a slight rise below 20 down to about 15Hz !
Haven't dared to take it to the limiters yet...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been stumbling around the site looking for a horn subwoofer for my rear seat pedestal. If only I had been looking for a riser instead of a pedistal I could have knocked off a week of searching! LOL.

Got here by way of conversation with lilmike. Thanks dude!

The CDX10" subwoofer is now $225 each.

I read lilmike's tutorial for hornresp and will start playing with the program with the intent on finding another 10" suitable for this or a similar pedestal/riser design. If someone else has already done this or wants to suggest a driver please let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow. Took me many hours just to properly load the program and ham fist my way to loading existing designs. Playing with hornresp is not something you do well in a hurry. Far to many variables with soft fuzzy origins and thumb rule driven ideal values. I guess that is what it takes to do magic. I'm looking forward to artificial intelligence that can run nearly infinite iterations at the speed of light or come up with equations for those values that require years of experience and artistic insight.

Meanwhile I will muddle on. The sundown E-10 is still available and affordable ($139 on Amazon) and I'll look at the Ultimax 10" tonight.

Is there a discussion somewhere of the general optimum TS parameters of a folded horn subwoofer driver? Besides generous x-max?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Yeah, Hornresp can be a steep learning curve for sure.

Credit to lilmike for this formula: BL^2/Re/Sd. Use values between 0.12 and 0.20 for tapped horns, and 0.08 to 0.12 for front loaded horns. I've also been known to just look for Qes as close to 0.33 as possible if I'm in a hurry and just want to see if something's worth doing the math on.

361 - 379 of 379 Posts