AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking to womble and they asked me to send them some of the ReplayTV Mpegs that do not work properly. I'm gonna mail them out on CD-R in the next few days. Maybe they'll update their software to better support them, at least they are interested in helping out.

I'll post any updates I receive from them.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Did you have another post describing the problem? I didn't know there were any more problems with the ReplayTV mpegs and Womble.

I've been using it for some time with only a problem with the new Gop fix utility. (wouldn't work for an Mpeg over 2 GB) But the latest version has that problem now fixed.

I have had problems with ReplayTV mpegs in the following situations:

Off loading file while the RPTV is recording.

A recording session started during the off-load.

Not using an NTFS file system.

Using Windows XP.

I use Windows 2000 Pro with an NTFS file system and make sure the RPTV is not recording or going to record during my off load. Almost 100 percent success. When I do have a rare GOP time code or Audio PTS error, the new utility fixes it up every time.

Also I've found that sometimes if you are off-loading an RPTV file and the RPTV is recording, the file being "recorded" can be glitched. So it's bad right on the RPTV before you ever off-load it. Normally it only shows up in an editor environment and even though glitched, will still play okay. It's just the editors that go bonkers with it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe someone can talk with the Womble Folkes.

I don't yet have a RePlayTV but I've got plans for it already....

If Womble could "edit" an MPEG so that Replay could play it THAT would make it the perfect software!

If we could edit out the comercials and then WOMBLE could "fix" the file so that the Replay would still play it....

Am I making sense?

I need a nap.....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You don't need anything nearly as heavy-weight as Womble to remove commercials from a Replay mpg file, leaving the thing Replay-playable. At least one person (not even me!) has already written one (115 lines of C code, with comments and whitespace).

To release the software, though, you need lawyers and deep pockets.

What a world. sigh.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What's the legal risk in editing commercials out? I understand that people might sue you, people will sue for anything, but is this a violation of the DMCA? How is this different than using womble?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
SonicBlue is being sued right now for automatically skipping commercials on playback, with no commercial-free copies in evidence. A tool which existed solely to make commercial-free copies...

One difference from Womble is the 'substantial non-infringing use' thing -- Womble's a general editor useful for all sorts of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.