AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I must be doing something wrong.

I bought Womble. It's easy and fast when it comes to the edits. Once you know the interface, it takes perhaps 5 minutes to setup the cuts for a 30 minute sitcom. However, unless I tell it to re-encode as VCD or SVCD, Nero 6 insists on re-encoding when Nero burns a disc.

I was previously using a combination of DVD2AVI to edit and Tmpgenc to encode. The DVD2AVI means of editing was a P.I.T.A. and Tmpgenc didn't set any speed records.

Wiser men (and women) on this forum have written that one should never re-encode as doing so causes a huge time penalty. But how do you get around it? I don't have a dvd burner, but VCDs and SVCDs work fine for what I am trying to accomplish. Am I stuck forever re-encoding, one way or another?

The RPTV files are MPEG-2 files, right? SVCDs are MPEG-2 files, right? If you cut it with Womble and save result as an MPEG-2 so that Womble doesn't have to re-encode to save, why does Nero 6 insist on re-encoding whether I pick to burn an SVCD (mpeg-2) or VCD (mpeg-1)?

Respectfully,

Confused in Tulsa

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, the resulting video. If recorded at high rate. Is 100%

compatable for DVD. But DVD has a higher VBR and audio bit

sampling. A conversion is required. Besides, the mpeg2 produced

is also not 480x480. Or 352x240 or 352x288.

So unless you wish to make a DVD. Some kind of conversion

is required.

I produce DVD+RW discs so I don't get bothered with making

the IVS go between my replays. I re-use the disc after they

all get a chance to view it.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doppler
Yes, the resulting video. If recorded at high rate. Is 100%

compatable for DVD. But DVD has a higher VBR and audio bit

sampling. A conversion is required. Besides, the mpeg2 produced

is also not 480x480. Or 352x240 or 352x288.
Not entirely true, the ReplayTV MPEGS have never been 100% DVD compliant. The VBR max is higher than the 10mbps DVD max. The Audio is fine.

As for SVCD you can overdrive the SVCD spec and acutally use a 720x480 mepg-II as an SVCD sample. I think the way I've done this was with Nero, and just take the replay MPEG and drag the file into Nero. But... the last time I made an SVCD was years ago when I first figured out how to do it. The MPEGs I was working with were the 3k files.

On the 4 and 5k boxes audio is now at 48k and I think there were problems.

I'll look back for the thread for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.